AI turn is taking forever

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Charest

AI turn is taking forever

Post by Charest »

Hi there!

Just bought the game and I love the feeling of it.

I'm trying to learn the ropes with the introduction scenario (Germany) and I notice a spectacularly long AI turn in each of the first 4 turns. Turn 3 took 15 minutes.

It makes me wonder what it will be to a full campaign. Am I the only one noticing such a problem?

My computer:

AMD 9550 quad core 2.2ghz
GeForce gtx 260
4 gig of ram

The thing is getting old, but it runs power hungry games like Skyrim, Deus EX and Civ 5 without any problem.

Thanks for the feedback!
Fat kids are harder to kidnap
Helpless

RE: AI turn is taking forever

Post by Helpless »

What version do you run? AI turn consist of 2 parts - AI logistics, AI air execution, AI ground movement. What exactly takes long?
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
mhissam

Post by mhissam »

I have noticed the same thing, I run windows 7 on a 3 year old computer, but have had no problems with other games. I read or surf while the computer takes it's 10 to 15 minute turn. It is end of turn on my computer, the air directives also takes 3 to 4 minutes, but is not nearly as irritating.
Charest

Post by Charest »

The ground combat phase is what seems to never finish. The AI seems awfully slow to calculate the movement of his units trying to conquer Sicily.
Fat kids are harder to kidnap
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Charest

The ground combat phase is what seems to never finish. The AI seems awfully slow to calculate the movement of his units trying to conquer Sicily.
I have same trouble and I am running version 1.00.11. I have not yet timed it. During the AI turn I see some action until it reach the combat step there it stays for several minutes then my window say that the program is not responding, but after additional waiting time the game continues with the combat step.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
tsewehtniraw

Post by tsewehtniraw »

I will add my 2 cents and chime in regarding this issue.

I initially installed the beta 1.0.21 on my 7 year old Vaio VGN-FZ260E laptop running Win7.

I ran a computer vs. computer simulation of the Husky scenario. I experienced a perceived lag on turn 2 when the allied AI was stuck at 31% resolving ground attacks for aprox. 7 minutes before it continued.

Curious to see if this was a machine issue, I uninstalled the game from my laptop and temporarily installed on a less than 1 year old machine with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM.

It ran slightly faster, but it still encountered the exact lag at the same place under the same options as the laptop. I then loaded the full campaign and ran with the same lag.

After further testing, I realized that combat resolution settings dramatically impact the times between phases. Setting resolution to 0 the time to calculate the 7th Army and 8th BR Army reduced from 7 minutes to 2:24. So really, no problem after all.

However, I am very curious why the windows 7 busy "blue circle" only appears during AI logistics for both Allied and Axis and then disappears during the save. Hmmmm....

Perhaps this is simply a perceptual issue due to slower machines taking more time to process higher combat resolutions.

I have since reinstalled to my laptop.
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

I got the same problem. First time playing Axis in the GC and it's so far it has taken 6-10 minutes for turns 2 and 3. This is with a quad core system (2.81 ghz) and 4 gigs of ram. It's to the point I don't want to play anymore especially if turn times get even higher as you go along. I don't mind a minute or two but I've got better things to do with my time than wait up to 10 minutes or more for turn resolution.

Funny thing is this only happens to me when playing the Axis side. If I play as WA turn times seem pretty fast. I have already have combat resolution set to 0. I have turned sound and music off. No delay for animations. Just about everything I can think of to speed things up. Nothing works.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Maybe something like this will help.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Syst ... tart.shtml
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Maybe something like this will help.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Syst ... tart.shtml
Thanks for the suggestion but I already run minimal services and startup programs. There's not much more I could turn off.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I got the same problem. First time playing Axis in the GC and it's so far it has taken 6-10 minutes for turns 2 and 3. This is with a quad core system (2.81 ghz) and 4 gigs of ram. It's to the point I don't want to play anymore especially if turn times get even higher as you go along. I don't mind a minute or two but I've got better things to do with my time than wait up to 10 minutes or more for turn resolution.

Funny thing is this only happens to me when playing the Axis side. If I play as WA turn times seem pretty fast. I have already have combat resolution set to 0. I have turned sound and music off. No delay for animations. Just about everything I can think of to speed things up. Nothing works.

What is the version you are using? Does it take 6-10min. for the whole AI turn (logistics/air/ground) or just AI ground attacks? Where does is stuck?
Pavel Zagzin
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

Using the latest .21 beta. The whole turn takes between 6-10 minutes. It's the ground attacks. It seems to hang at 31%. I couldn't say if it's only a problem with Sicily because I haven't got past Sicily yet. The biggest majority of turn time is waiting for the AI to get past 31%. I timed the turns. Turn 2 took just about 6 1/2 minutes. Turn 3 took just a few seconds shy of 10 minutes. I have no problems at all when playing the WA side. I just started trying play as Axis and that's when I ran into this problem.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I see the same issue. It looks like a known problem with Allied AI got affected by some new code. I've sent a report to Gary, he promised to address it.
Pavel Zagzin
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

I see the same issue. It looks like a known problem with Allied AI got affected by some new code. I've sent a report to Gary, he promised to address it.
Thanks Pavel.
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

Just wanted to chime in-- same deal here. I've played the Battleground Italy scenario a gazillion times, no problems, but my first grand campaign as Axis under the latest beta patch, I get the same 31% hang during the AI ground phase.

I'll wait until this gets fixed...
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The fix is in testing, and it should make it into the next public beta that is due out sometime next week. If you email me at 2by3@2by3games.com, I can try to send you a test exe if you are interested to make sure that the latest version fixes your problem.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Orm

Post by Orm »

So this is solved now?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Allied AI slowdown should be fixed in .29

Pavel Zagzin

Return to “Tech Support”