Homeworld Remastered Collection on Steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

Homeworld Remastered Collection on Steam

Post by GaryChildress »

Currently have my eye on the "Homeworld Remastered" collection. I liked the original and lost my hard copy in a mishap. Now the series has apparently been digitally remastered. I don't want to pay the full 34.00 for it though. Obviously it would be nice to catch it on sale and I'm just sort of twiddling my thumbs wondering when the next big Steam sale will occur. Does anyone happen to know of any upcoming holidays that Steam has traditionally had big sales for? Do they usually have large Easter sales?

Thanks.
rhondabrwn

RE: Homeworld Remastered Collection on Steam

Post by rhondabrwn »

I've got my eye on this too, but not at full price. If I see a good sale, I'll definitely post it to my "Sale Alert" thread [:)]

I thought GOG had the originals, but if they did, they deleted it from their catalog. Guess my memory is failing [:D]

The original game and it's sequel got ruined for me when I received one of those Primus "Guides". In reading their instructions for how to beat every scenario, it became obvious that each scenario was programmed to require a specific combination of units and tactics; in other words, there was "one solution" rather than it being an open ended game whereby a variety of strategies could win. Suddenly it just seemed like a beautiful puzzle leading you through a programmed story.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks Rhonda, I agree on the "one solution" missions. Looking back I guess my least favorite mission was the one where you have to blow up a bunch of asteroids that are coming at the Mothership. Wasn't a great deal of fun. But some of the other missions were pretty good. If you see it go on sale, please let me know. :)
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Thanks Rhonda, I agree on the "one solution" missions. Looking back I guess my least favorite mission was the one where you have to blow up a bunch of asteroids that are coming at the Mothership. Wasn't a great deal of fun. But some of the other missions were pretty good. If you see it go on sale, please let me know. :)

Will do :)
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
MatJack

Post by MatJack »

I have never played the original and do not intend to get this version, but I did notice this thread and saw the review linked below, figured you may not have.

Edit = fixed bad typo

This person does a video blog review of the game
http://www.outofeight.info/2015/03/home ... ction.html
Terl

Post by Terl »

I stick these things in my wishlist on steam and will get emails saying "an item on your wishlist is on sale" from Steam. Works nice. Other option is to quickly scroll the wishlist and you can see the sale items.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Terl

I stick these things in my wishlist on steam and will get emails saying "an item on your wishlist is on sale" from Steam. Works nice. Other option is to quickly scroll the wishlist and you can see the sale items.

"!!!
This is what I do

I bought Homeworld remastered as a full price game with the 15% pre order discount. I just had to since the original two games were about my favorites back in the early 2000s when I was finished up high school and getting more in PC gaming.

These 'new' ones are great and it looks like Gearbox is committed to post release support and supporting the modding community. And they have stated since they hold the rights to the franchise that if this remake is financial successful then a third entry could be done.
And to answer an earlier question, this was never on GOG. This is the first time the game has been released digitally and it did not run in modern operating systems. It was in danger of becoming a lost classic.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks for the advice. I put it on my wish list. Next hurdle is to figure out how to make room for the thing. I only have 27 gigs left on my SSD and the specs say 20 gigs needed. I can't think of anything I want to delete to make room for it and I'm afraid 7 gigs might be shaving it too close. I have a 256 GB SSD right now and don't have the money to upgrade to a larger one at the moment. [:(]
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I have the original on disc, never really got into it.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
MatJack

Post by MatJack »

Gary, to gain disk space you could add a lower cost higher capacity SATA drive to your system. Than move any thing that are not really taking advantage of the SSD speed to it (downloads and my doc stuff are good examples). Even a low cost external USB drive will work for these files.

To go further, if you are OK with tinkering on the PC, following directions via web blogs and than testing first before relying on things, you may want to look into Sysinternal's Junction: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... s/bb896768

You would want to google this for what it is and how to best to actually use it real world. However if you are not PC savvy stay away from this as you may want to pull your hair out if you screw things up.

I have two Intel 200GB SSD's setup in raid 0 striping for increased speed and am using Junction and 2 low cost 1TB drives for those things that do not benefit from the speed of the SSD's. Lots of these games (especially here at this site) do not need SSD speed to work just fine. Flight sims and live multiple player online games do work better for the most part when located on SSD. IMO till SSD price drop further you need to be a little creative when it comes to disk space.

Return to “General Discussion”