How to click on planet when spaceport is bigger?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

towerbooks3192

How to click on planet when spaceport is bigger?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I know left clicking can give choices of where you meant to left click however I cannot right click on my planet as it will always display the spaceport as the choice instead. Is there any way to move the spaceport and click the planet? I planned to choose my transport and ctrl+right click to open the menu to unload my troops on a planet but only the space station is the choice. How can I unload my troops or pick the planet underneath the space port as an option?
et ignobiles oblivio
Kayoz

RE: How to click on planet when spaceport is bigger?

Post by Kayoz »

I've asked this same question - it seems the simple answer is... you can't.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

awww. Really? I wish they will fix this or something. the last thing I want is to enter the editor, delete spaceport, do what I have to do then put back a spaceport through an editor. It made me stop on my tracks waiting for an answer and it was a bit frustrating
et ignobiles oblivio
feygan

Post by feygan »

As said you cant, it comes down to lucky clicks and making good use of the pause button. However there is a messy way around, that requires careful planning from the start. If you click a planet with no orbitals to start with then right click on a section of empty space close to the planet you get an option to build things at that spot. This means the center of the orbital will be at the location you right clicked, this can be handy for doing things like making a ring of defensive bases to catch any troop transports etc way before they arrive at the planet. But I also use this method for just organising my orbitals in a more user friendly way, and for keeping spaceports just far enough away that I will always be able to click the planet. You do need to take into account though what footprint a huge endgame spaceport will have and enure it will not totally overlap your planet.

There is a disadvantage though in that your spaceport which can at times be the only means of defence for some planets, is now not sat on top of a plant. This can leave it open to sneak attack ground invasions from certain vectors.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Apart from a well timed corner click, the workaround is not that far off.

For a few colonies only, "rotating" the colony list or the left menu works.

For too many for the above, zooming out and selecting the system should give a quick link to the colony in the selection panel.

If you got way too many colonies in the system, you could have a real issue at hand :)

To unload troops, it should work to zoom far enough out, (ctrl) right click at the system, and select location from the list.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: feygan
You do need to take into account though what footprint a huge endgame spaceport will have and enure it will not totally overlap your planet.

This used to work, but Elliot changed space port positioning in Universe, so that the outer edge of the spaceport must line up with the outer edge of the planet. You can't build it so it's off to the side any more. Trick used to work, but no more.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
MatBailie

Post by MatBailie »

Not a nice answer, but...

You can set the scaling for each space port design. So, you Could create a copy of the existing deign and change only the scaling, making the space-port appear small. Then "upgrade" to the small-scaled design, do your stuff, and then "upgrade" back to the original design.
Desktop: Intel i5 12400F 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM, AMD RX 6700 XT 12GB
Laptop: Intel i7 10750H 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1660 Ti MaxQ 6GB

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." Bertrand Russell
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: MatBailie

Not a nice answer, but...

You can set the scaling for each space port design. So, you Could create a copy of the existing deign and change only the scaling, making the space-port appear small. Then "upgrade" to the small-scaled design, do your stuff, and then "upgrade" back to the original design.

This is what I did and I thought I might give it a go and it did work. Other than visuals, does scaling really affect something when scaled? I had been having problems with a game since it kinda went weird when I scaled because for some magical reason my ships cannot refuel on that spaceport anymore.
et ignobiles oblivio
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I would be surprised if scaling is anything but presentation.

As for the first question, any action in DW that involves anything but maybe colonization and mine building, is best done when zoomed out quite far (enough to see a sector or four, at least). The right click menu is you friend. Just about any fleet order is best done from that distance, apart from micro management in combat...
solops

Post by solops »

This used to be a big problem, but now you just click in the middle of the port/planet/ship mob and a list of things comes up...planet, port, ships and you then click on the one you want.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: solops

This used to be a big problem, but now you just click in the middle of the port/planet/ship mob and a list of things comes up...planet, port, ships and you then click on the one you want.

Yeah it isnt a probelm with left click but ctrl+right to open to a menu of actions are a problem if you want to click something behind a bigger one (i.e in my case a big space port)

Scaled and got no problem at all. Hopefully it will be addressed or the devs are aware of the issue.
et ignobiles oblivio
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

If you own the colony, simply go into your colonies page, select the colony, then click Select Colony > Go to Colony and it will center your screen on it with the colony selected. You can then use your ctrl+R click menu.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Often my home world is lost in a cloud of freighters, independent merchants, military visiting the base, and of course the base itself. Trying to choose the planet from a list 200 items long is a pain at the best of times.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

If you own the colony, simply go into your colonies page, select the colony, then click Select Colony > Go to Colony and it will center your screen on it with the colony selected. You can then use your ctrl+R click menu.
+1
A good way to do it!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the selection list that pops up for me doesn't include load, nor unload options. Build at planet, recruit troops, etc - but no load/unload.
ORIGINAL: Bingeling
To unload troops, it should work to zoom far enough out, (ctrl) right click at the system, and select location from the list.

This only gives the option to load troops, not unload.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
ORIGINAL: Bingeling

This only gives the option to load troops, not unload.
Not in my games :)

Troop unloading is annoying, it does not work properly on fleet level. Which is the horror when I have accidentally loaded troops with a fleet of AI designed cruisers that I don't want to carry any troops.

With a single troop transport selected, unloading works just fine when zoomed far out.

Screen from a game generated as mature, single troop transport selected, the target system should be the one top left of the box, and the transport is somewhere else.

Attachments
dwunload.gif
dwunload.gif (66.15 KiB) Viewed 473 times
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

None of the above solves double-clicking the world in the game editor mode.
You can right-click to get most options, but to use the editor, the only answer is to double-click the world. Seems like there should be a way to always access the world - the Spaceport should never completely cover the world, IMO.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

In the game editor, you just have to try to catch an edge of the planet outside the space ports 'hitbox'. If I can't accomplish that, I make sure no characters are on board the port, erase it, edit my planet, then place a new space port back at the planet.
Distant Worlds Fan

NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Go to the design screen, update your spaceport to "Scaling: Absolute Size: 100" and then upgrade.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I found an alternate way in the editor when I ran into the problem.

Zoom into the planet as close as you can, and a colored tab with the colony name and the inhabiting race will appear. Click the tab and it opens the colony editing tools.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”