Can you use RC builds with the Steam version of CMANO?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

OxfordGuy3

Can you use RC builds with the Steam version of CMANO?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - I'm considering buying CMANO, but am wondering whether it would be best to buy the Steam or non-Steam version of CMANO?

For example, I noticed that the 1.7 Release Candidate build is now available, but if I bought the Steam version, would I be able to install RC builds?

Any other pros/cons between the two versions - e.g. is the Steam version still mod-able? Thanks
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
ckfinite

RE: Can you use RC builds with the Steam version of CMANO?

Post by ckfinite »

The steam version at this point is ahead of the 1.07RC builds - it's 1.07 proper. Otherwise, yes, you can install newer builds on top of the steam ones, though you may have to occasionally re-update them.

Any Command scene will work on any version of the game later than the version it was made on, including the RCs.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: ckfinite

The steam version at this point is ahead of the 1.07RC builds - it's 1.07 proper. Otherwise, yes, you can install newer builds on top of the steam ones, though you may have to occasionally re-update them.

Any Command scene will work on any version of the game later than the version it was made on, including the RCs.

Oh, okay, so from this point of view, at least, the Steam version sounds better, if it's more up-to-date!

Are there any downsides to the Steam version (apart from having to use Steam to download and update it)?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Lawdog1700

Post by Lawdog1700 »

I was considering starting a new thread, but since this one was available and there were questions about the Steam version I will post here.

I have used both versions, I have been using the Steam version because I like the "auto-update" capability that Steam brings, because it saves me a little bit of time when CMANO is updating while I am working, cooking dinner, etc. However, I have a couple of technical problems with the Steam version. First, the "Unit Status" box on the right hand of the screen is screwed up. When I click on a unit, it shows the unit information for about a half second, then it seems like it is trying to "re-size" the information so suddenly the words get huge (in fact, I can only see a few letters in the box), then it gets small, then it shifts around and ultimately it becomes a blur. All in a couple seconds. Second, it seems like the really slow gameplay is back again in v. 1.07. Could it be that I need more RAM because the game engine has evolved? I don't see anyone else complaining about lag, so I am afraid its just me.

I hope this helps with your decision. My opinion is that Steam is great, but that window thing bothers me.
ckfinite

Post by ckfinite »

Are there any downsides to the Steam version (apart from having to use Steam to download and update it)?

Not as far as I am aware.
When I click on a unit, it shows the unit information for about a half second, then it seems like it is trying to "re-size" the information so suddenly the words get huge (in fact, I can only see a few letters in the box), then it gets small, then it shifts around and ultimately it becomes a blur.

This isn't a steam bug. Post it on the tech support forum.
Second, it seems like the really slow gameplay is back again in v. 1.07. Could it be that I need more RAM because the game engine has evolved? I don't see anyone else complaining about lag, so I am afraid its just me.
Make sure that you're set to no-pulse. 1.07's performance is much better than 1.06's, at least for me.
rvseydlitz

Post by rvseydlitz »

The Steam version is not the only up to date version, 1.07 has been available to all versions for a week.
Marder

Post by Marder »

Buy it from Matrixgames then redeem your steam key and you have both versions.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Marder2075

Well if you can do that and the prices are similar, this would seem to be the best option!
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

ORIGINAL: Marder2075

Well if you can do that and the prices are similar, this would seem to be the best option!

Ah - just checked prices, Matrix Games (download) version is much more expensive than Steam :-(

Matrix Games: £69.59 ($103!)
Steam: £60.99 ($90)

Bear in mind UK prices have 20% VAT added (a form of sales tax)

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”