OT : World of Warships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anthropoid

RE: OT : World of Warships

Post by Anthropoid »

Otherwise known as "Pay to Win!" . . . a non-trivial reason why I may never play EVE Online again . . .
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

A lot of social media games are like that. At one time there were waves of games popular on Facebook. Many of these extorted money from people by giving them a taste for free, then charging them to get better stuff once they were hooked.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

Accidental collision is one thing...I'm sure there was a LOT of that: but intentionally ramming an enemy with a Carrier? Ug! :)
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: Malagant

Accidental collision is one thing...I'm sure there was a LOT of that: but intentionally ramming an enemy with a Carrier? Ug! :)

Well if your carrier has a lot of "hit points" why not? [8|]
Jones944

Post by Jones944 »

I've heard that collision explained as a blue on blue collision and a fault of the initial start positions of the ships. The DD player is apparently AFK and so left the CV player in a bad situation. Why that would show up in a promotional video is beyond me, but it's not meant to really happen in the game on a regular basis.

So I've heard.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

ORIGINAL: Malagant

Well if your carrier has a lot of "hit points" why not? [8|]

WITP carriers have hit points too - 100 of them, in 3 different pools.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Yes, but they have worked the damage model a little better [;)]
not to mention recovering aircraft while under "heavy fires"

Not my kind of game, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Yes, but they have worked the damage model a little better [;)]
not to mention recovering aircraft while under "heavy fires"

Not my kind of game, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun

Yeah. Definitely not realistic, but it's not really supposed to be. Realistic up to a point, sure... but it's meant to be more of a fun, smash-em-up game. *shrug* We signed up for the beta last night, hopefully we get selected and can try it.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: patrickl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw

Looks interesting
I was sceptical but this looks like fun. Unfortunately I suspect that it is to fast paced for me to be any good at it. [:)]

Thank you for sharing. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I have been seeing the World of Tanks/Planes/Warships ads everywhere for a couple of years now. It appears to be an attempt to make a social media war game. About the only thing historical are the weapons. It's otherwise a free for all between weapons.

Fun and realism rarely go together (apart for us Grognards in games that we love [:)]) and thus we have these "light" / "arcade" style games which would, most certainly suit, much much bigger audience than Grogrand crowd that we are...

The "World of Tanks" tried, IIRC, so called "Historical Battle" modes where only real historical tanks clashed on historical battlegrounds and with historical numbers - sadly it was rather quickly removed due to lack on interest (i.e. huge majority of player disliked it because their fantasy tanks were not part of it)... I still hope it will be back...

Similarly I hope that there will be similar "Historical Battle" mode for upcoming "World of Warships"!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
I don't know if there is "Historical Battle" mode for "World of Warplanes"?

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

In November 1975 the USS Kennedy ran down the cruiser USS Belknap (CG-26). A classmate of mine was the DCA on the CG and said it was incredible, the ship melted down to the main deck. All of the superstructure was aluminum and was "toast"!
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

In November 1975 the USS Kennedy ran down the cruiser USS Belknap (CG-26). A classmate of mine was the DCA on the CG and said it was incredible, the ship melted down to the main deck. All of the superstructure was aluminum and was "toast"!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... damage.jpg

Wow!
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Yup that's it, the Kennedy's avgas sprayed the entire upperworks of the Belknap... a REAL mess. I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone was killed.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I don't like real time games to begin with. I play games to relax and games with a time pressure just make me twitchy, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. So I've given it a pass.

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

I managed to watch the whole video late last night... [:D]

"Few" questions emerge: [8D]

#1 Damage model
Is the damage model symbolic (i.e. 1/xxx) or you can have separate systems (including separate turrets for example) damaged / destroyed?

Also we saw airplanes taking off / landing on burning carrier...

#2 Targeting
We saw that AAA opens fire on aircraft but what about ships with multiple Gunnery Directors?

Can they engage several targets (for example main battery against some high value threat - secondary battery against some lighter threat)?

What about night / low visibility?

What about radar?

#3 Speed of things
Everything is so fast that combat looks more like bar fight than delicate ballerina dancing (which is how the naval combat at that time should look like - the turrets traversing, the guns loading, the ship maneuvering etc.)... [8|]

The taking off / landing of aircraft on aircraft carriers is especially fast but everything else is way way way too fast IMHO as well...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Oh so close to a good game. Yet so very, very far. New design team and more research they might get it right.
Arcade game nothing more.
My 2 cents.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I've been playing World of Tanks for about four years. It's real time, but not overwhelming. I think ADD-addled teens won't like it as it can be a bit slow. I've also not put a dime into it for at least two years (paid maybe $30-40 in the beginning to get gold for tank camo and better crew training). Strategy does pay off in the game and sometimes you can even get your teammates to follow suggestions. Anyway, I see it as a complement to grognard games like this one.

I'll give the naval one a shot, but the air one doesn't interest me as much.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

looks great... planes Cody a bit like the Arty in the world of tanks!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

On Navy Field 2, I manage to get my captain to level 72 and trying to get that Fuso 1944 battleship. It take a lot of grind if you want a bigger or better ship.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

If it doesn't simulate things down to the last sailor, I have no interest in the game as it is a pile of arcadey trash unfit for human consumption.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”