VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Tyranicus

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Post by Tyranicus »

Question Can I upload a slightly modified research and component list? Some of the Techs and Components names are alittle more Star Trek lore friendly.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Tyranicus

Question Can I upload a slightly modified research and component list? Some of the Techs and Components are alittle more Star Trek lore friendly.
Hello Tyranicus;

You, or anyone, is of course welcome to mod to your own personal taste any DW mod made for the game that's available to the public for download (unless expressly forbidden by the mod author). However, altered files, images, etcetera, are separate from and not supported by the original mod author(s). In addition, due to 'fair use' and credit given restrictions in most mods, you should create your own separate thread for your uploads.

Also, note that the Trek Team and myself will not take responsibility for any issues, problems, errors
or crashes that your (or anyone else's) modifications of our Picard Era mod files create, nor answer
(and quite possibly even respond to) any queries concerning such modifications.

Everyone's opinion on what IS or IS NOT Star Trek canon, lore, or whatever concerning our mods is of
no concern to me. The mods are made, they are what they are. Our goal was to make the game as
DW playable as possible. One person's opinion of what should be is usually miles away from what another person's is. I have expressed enough "The needs of the many" posts (even though they don't seem to be read often) concerning this type of matter.

So again, the answer to your question is yes, but create your own separate thread. Your modified files are suited to your tastes, opinions and viewpoint, not ours.
Also, your modifications may not take into account playability with the other 5 DW playstyles that our mod does.
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Tyranicus

Post by Tyranicus »

Thanks for the advice! Will do!
tylerblue10

Post by tylerblue10 »

Greetings!

May I first say that i love DW:U and this mod is more than just gravy - it makes a delicious new meal! So I tip my hat in thanks for the creation of this mod.

I am however, experiencing a persistent crash. It happens at the same date (in game) after reloading. I have experienced it on a number of games now; and as much as I like starting up a new empire, I would like to finish a game lol

This is the crash dump:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.10

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.SelectSuitableGovernment(Race race, Int32 excludeId, List`1 allowableGovernmentTypes)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.HaveRevolution(Race dominantRace, Int32 governmentId, Double damageFactor)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.HaveRevolution(Race dominantRace)
(unable to post this line for some reason)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.PerformIntelligenceMissions()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.nRmYgTCpQ6TiHGKATtA(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Main.YLLLASa55q(Object )

I have no idea what any of the above means. However, from a process of elimination (from re-loading the game over and over and deleting empires in the in-game editor) I can get past the date if the Andorians and Sheliak empires are removed. I'm not sure how helpful that is though because in a previous game the Sheliak were operating just fine and something else was causing a crash - perhaps the combination? no idea! I'm not that computer literate.

If there is anyway someone could help I would be grateful. I have also tried the usual things of uninstalling and so forth.

I am playing with this mod and the v.2 compatible Das-ui mod.

If my save game would be useful, or any more information please just ask.

Continued compliments for the mod and any future development - Kindest.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello tylerblue10, and welcome to the DW forums! Also, thank you for the kind
compliments.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty. Although we state that any mod used in
conjunction with our mod can cause problems and errors (even when just graphics
in some cases) we try to assist when feasible.

I'm PM'ing you with instructions so we can assist you. Hopefully we can get you
up and running problem free soon.
chemicalart

Post by chemicalart »

A very interesting mod!

I have done one game with the gorn so far in the galaxy map...and I will ask this...

I understand the empire colors are limited, but do the Gorn and the Klingons really have to have the exact shade of green? It makes my skirmishes very confusing considering they share the same borders from the start.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: chemicalart

A very interesting mod!

I have done one game with the gorn so far in the galaxy map...and I will ask this...

I understand the empire colors are limited, but do the Gorn and the Klingons really have to have the exact shade of green? It makes my skirmishes very confusing considering they share the same borders from the start.
Hello chemicalart. Welcome to the DW forums!

Yes, with only 23 available colors, once we went to 30 races, we had to have a few color matches.
Sorry that your Gorn were difficult to distinguish.
chemicalart

Post by chemicalart »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

ORIGINAL: chemicalart

A very interesting mod!

Hello chemicalart. Welcome to the DW forums!

Yes, with only 23 available colors, once we went to 30 races, we had to have a few color matches.
Sorry that your Gorn were difficult to distinguish.

I appreciate the reply. It is nice :)

Would it be possible to "swap" the color of the Gorn race with another race to overlap the prevent an immediate color overlap with the Klingon? Just from my first game, I can swap with the light pink of the Tholian or the Orangish from the Reman states which has a whole at least minimize the color overlap. Yes, it is possible the two empires later on could overlap with the Klingons, but I think it is less likely then the current Goran state since at least they are at a different "corner" of the galaxy.

In case it wasn't clear, am I do not proclaim to be a Trekie, but I do enjoy the universe in my casual experiences. The fact I mention quality of life changes as my only recommendations is attest to the great quality of this mod!

ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

You can swap race empire colors when you play a custom game. The UFP map scenario
game race colors unfortunately are set and cannot.
Noble713

Post by Noble713 »

First great work, very detailed mod. Thanks.

I started one game as the Federation with the included Galaxy, and a 2nd custom game, also as the Fed, random Spiral galaxy. In each case I started with no Gas Mining Stations, and couldn't build any either. The default GMS-1 station is too big (size ~746 I think).
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

You'll probably just have to design it by hand - or edit the "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\DW Universe-STPE Ver 2\designTemplates\federation\gasminingstation.txt" file to bring the size down (and start a new game) - afaict - editing those files only has an effect on new games.

NOTE: You can look at that file to get a sense of what needs to be on your mining station so you can manually design one and know you're adding approximately the right (critical) things in reasonable numbers...
Noble713

Post by Noble713 »

I'll try that before my next game, thanks! Much better than the solution I went with: taking some of the Fed's huge income and crash-researching the relevant construction tech.
spire79

Post by spire79 »

Hello.
I have problem with this game.
I play as Borg. I have many trops on planet.I have transport ships empty for 500 units.If i order transport to load trops,this ships go to planet but nothing happends.Sometimes load only 300 trop but mostly nothing.So i cant invade planets.
What is wron?
Thanx
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

spire - I have a lot of trouble with the troop loading / invasion too (not this mod, just DW:U generally).

First: if a troop has a green border, it won't be loaded - it's in garrison mode, so it's required to stay on defense.
Second: sometimes your troop transports are full, even though they don't seem like it due to tech upgrades giving you fractional capacity. So a ship with 1.75 capacity can only carry 1 unit, but if in a fleet, those will add up showing you a bunch of "empty" space - but it's not available, not really.
Third: if part of your fleet is somewhere else, then those parts may have the missing capacity. So the local ships cannot carry more than they are... but those other ships are off doing whatever, and that's why you can't pick up more.

Lastly: I find that the algorithms used by the game to decide where to go get troops is pretty sad. It doesn't go to your worlds that are packed to overflowing with troops... instead it cannibalizes them from the worlds YOU JUST INVADED. Leaving you weak there, and likely to lose the world to revolutions / uprisings / enemy invasions.

Similarly - if you ask your ships to load troops, they're likely to just flounder. They spin around uselessly getting nothing or very little from what's RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACES. So... you have to do the searching manually - find worlds where you have troop - MANUALLY order your fleet to go there and pick up troops from that world.

It's slow, tedious, but the only way that works that I know of.

Sigh...
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

In the first post you mention that this mod should be compatible with AI mods, does that mean I can install the AI Improvement Mod as well as this one?

Thanks for making a great mod!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Falesh

In the first post you mention that this mod should be compatible with AI mods, does that mean I can install the AI Improvement Mod as well as this one?

Hello Falesh;

Unfortunately no. The Picard Era mods are not compatible with AI mods and I should have corrected that in the
first post (which I will). UI icons and graphics mods only, at least most, are compatible. But as you play the
mod, I'm sure you will see that our mod's AI is 'spiced' up a bit. In addition, many of the races' AI are
buffed to make things more exciting. Thanks for the kind words also!
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello Falesh;

Unfortunately no. The Picard Era mods are not compatible with AI mods and I should have corrected that in the
first post (which I will). UI icons and graphics mods only, at least most, are compatible. But as you play the
mod, I'm sure you will see that our mod's AI is 'spiced' up a bit. In addition, many of the races' AI are
buffed to make things more exciting. Thanks for the kind words also!

Sounds good. :D

If I play and use 0 tax for new colonies will it make the game too easy to win or have you tweaked the AI with that in mind?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

If I play and use 0 tax for new colonies will it make the game too easy to win or have you tweaked the AI with that in mind?

We have created the mod so that it's play is balanced across the 5 different styles of DW play. Most of the
super and major powers align to the regular DW taxation logic. However, the Borg, Naussicans and select minor
races have been tweaked accordingly so they can compete (and if the right things occur) and even win via their
victory conditions.

Remember that you can also tweak the race files to your personal preference, but be aware that what you modify
from the original setting may make that race's play balance unevenly stronger or weaker than intended by the mod.
Enjoy and have fun conquering the Star Trek Universe...if you can!

"RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!"

Attachments
BorgQueen.jpg
BorgQueen.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Horschdt

Post by Horschdt »

Hi,

is there a reason for NOT including gas extractors in the default mining stations???!! I mean.. aarrghh..!!

fresh game start, just downloaded the mod from this very website.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Horschdt

Hi,

is there a reason for NOT including gas extractors in the default mining stations???!! I mean.. aarrghh..!!

fresh game start, just downloaded the mod from this very website.
There are gas extractors in the Ship DesignTemplates for Gas Mining Stations. So you're saying your
default gas mining station design doesn't have any?

If not for a workaround, just design a new station. Very soon we will be providing a mod version update to
Universe 1.9.5.11. I'll make a point to look into it then.

Return to “Design and Modding”