EF II - Prokhorovka: The Ultimate Battle - Available Now in The Blitz WGC Scenario DB

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Crossroads

EF II - Prokhorovka: The Ultimate Battle - Available Now in The Blitz WGC Scenario DB

Post by Crossroads »

Updated 9/3/17: A new version Prokhorovka The Historical Battle available at post #9

Everyone, as some of you might have noticed, Wargamer's Games Depot scenario database had closed down. Concerned that many fine scenarios would be lost forever, I contacted Alan R. Arvold to ask about the faith of his excellent Ode To Panzerblitz and Ode To Panzer Leader scenarios, that faithfully produce all Avalon Hill PB and PL situations in Campaign Series format. I was happy to find out he had copies of all those files. More of that later, in another post.

Meanwhile, he had continued his earlier work on Prokhorovka: The Real Battle and Prokhorovka: The Expanded Battle, into the ultimate (!) Prokhorovka: The Ultimate Battle scenario.

These scenarios are now available in The Blitz Wargaming Club's Scenario DB, where I hope they remain available for a long time! Downloading scenarios from Blitz Scenario DB does not require a membership or registration.

For more information see my post at The Blitz: LINK

My sincere thanks to Alan for having these scenarios again available to the wargaming public [:)]
Last edited by Crossroads on Mon May 02, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

RE: EF II - Prokhorovka: The Ultimate Battle - Available Now in The Blitz WGC Scenario DB

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Everyone, as some of you might have noticed, Wargamer's Games Depot scenario database had closed down. Concerned that many fine scenarios would be lost forever, I contacted Alan R. Arvold to ask about the faith of his excellent Ode To Panzerblitz and Ode To Panzer Leader scenarios, that faithfully produce all Avalon Hill PB and PL situations in Campaign Series format. I was happy to find out he had copies of all those files. More of that later, in another post.

All well with Ode To Panzerblitz / Panzer Leader too. See my post HERE.

[:)]
---
Warhorse

RE: EF II - Prokhorovka: The Ultimate Battle - Available Now in The Blitz WGC Scenario DB

Post by Warhorse »

Nice!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

This is awesome. PB was the game that got me hooked even though I started with AH Tactics II. [:)]
I've already downloaded the first two scenarios and I'm looking forward to the weekly updates. Thanks a lot for making sure these scenarios are being kept available.

Rob
Citizen Emperor

Post by Citizen Emperor »

Awesome! (I take it they are fully compatible with the latest "Matrix" version of JTCS..?)
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Indeed they are. From scenario description template:
12 July, 1943

[Prokhorovka, 87 km Southeast from Kursk] [H2H] [HIS] [GD]

This is the ultimate version of the original scenario "Prokhorovka: The Real Battle". It includes not only a bigger expanded map sheet, but one to the proper scale of 250 meters per hex, thus making it four times as large as my previous one. It also includes the remaining forces from both sides which took part in the battle. It finally puts every unit in its original proper starting position at the beginning of the battle.

This scenario presents the battle from the German perspective as they are the aggressors in this version. It is best played against another player or as the Germans when playing solitaire.

[ALL: AF OPT] [2.02]
---
carll11

Post by carll11 »

Thank you Crossroads for this, question- I unzipped Prok 4a to my East front Directory, I see the flies IN the folder when I search for them BUT, when I try and open the scenario thru the usual method, it doesn't appear ion the lit as a choice...?
carll11

Post by carll11 »

Opp's disregard. It was in a subfolder that apparently didn't load its files to the main dir. thx!!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Commanders, Alan has reworked a completely new mammoth scenario of the battle based on some new information available:

Prokhorovka 5: The Historical Battle
This is the historical version of the battle of Prokhorovka, based on data provided by Christopher Lawrence's monumental work "Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka". This book is now considered to be the definitive source on the battle of Prokhorovka. This book has not only stripped away the last of old myths frequently published as facts about the battle, but also has put to rest those assumptions and more recent incorrect conclusions that have subconsiously influenced the interpetations of events and their sequence by various historians over the past fifty years. It has also provided the most definitive order of battles for both sides of the battle to date.

It is worth the download for the exhaustive scenario notes alone!

Go get it here:

LINK TO THE BLITZ SCENARIO DATABASE

My sincere thanks to Alan for - again! - transforming the latest historic data to Campaign Series format [:)]
Last edited by Crossroads on Mon May 02, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
dox44

Post by dox44 »

Thanks so much!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: casebier

Thanks so much!

It is quite awesome isn't it!
---
pawelwj

Post by pawelwj »

Really great job. One minor thing though, the motorcycles for the German motorcycle battalions are all parked in same hex making them inaccessible due to maximum strength point limit on the hex.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Oh yes, in the middle. Good catch Pawelj, thanks!
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: pawelj

Really great job. One minor thing though, the motorcycles for the German motorcycle battalions are all parked in same hex making them inaccessible due to maximum strength point limit on the hex.

This has now been fixed. Please download the scenario again for an updated version.
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Commanders, Alan has reworked a completely new mammoth scenario of the battle based on some new information available:

Prokhorovka 5: The Historical Battle
This is the historical version of the battle of Prokhorovka, based on data provided by Christopher Lawrence's monumental work "Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka". This book is now considered to be the definitive source on the battle of Prokhorovka. This book has not only stripped away the last of old myths frequently published as facts about the battle, but also has put to rest those assumptions and more recent incorrect conclusions that have subconsiously influenced the interpetations of events and their sequence by various historians over the past fifty years. It has also provided the most definitive order of battles for both sides of the battle to date.

It is worth the download for the exhaustive scenario notes alone!

Go get it here:

LINK TO THE BLITZ SCENARIO DATABASE

My sincere thanks to Alan for - again! - transforming the latest historic data to Campaign Series format [:)]

Alan's provided a new Design Note document for the download. If you want to see it, and you should, just download the whole package again [:)]
---
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Nice job

+1
Richard
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Commanders, Alan's created a few historical battles-within-battle scenarios from the Prokhorovka 5 Proper. Here they are. 

First, their Scenario DB pages for downloading them:

>> Vassilievka (Subset of Prokhorovka - The Historical Battle) <<

>> Hill 252.2 (Subset of Prokhorovka - The Historical Battle) <<

>> Kalinin (Subset of Prokhorovka - The Historical Battle) <<

And here's the scenario descriptions:
12 July, 1943

Vassilievka, 15 Km west of Prokhorovka, Russia (Best played against Human player or as German vs AI): At 8:30 AM on July 12th, a massive artillery barrage opened up along the length of the German frontline. After fifteen minutes the barrage was lifted and various Russian units moved out against the Germans. Among these units was the Russian 18th Tank Corps, followed by units of the 42nd Guards Rifle Division. The 18th Tank Corps moved down the Psel River Valley in two columns. The left column was led by 170th Tank Brigade, which was supported by the 36th Guards Heavy Tank Regiment. The right column was led by the 181st Tank Brigade. The left column was to support the 29th Tank Corps assault on Hill 252.2 but found its path blocked by an anti-tank ditch so it continued its way south towards its ultimate objective, the Sukh Komsomolets. The right column was to move down the road by the Psel River and relieve the Russian force holed up in the town of Vassilievka. The Germans replied by sending the Tiger platoon from the 1 SS Panzer Regiment, plus elements from the 1st SS Assault Gun, 1st SS Recon, and 1st SS Anti-Tank Battalions to block the left column, while various elements of the 3rd SS Division tried to eliminate the trapped Russian force before the 181st could relieve it. The Russians then sent in their second echelon consisting of the 110th Tank and the 53rd Motorized Rifle Brigades, followed up by the 132nd and 136th Guards Rifle Regiments of the 42nd Guards Rifle Division. Ultimately, the Russians did relieve the force in Vassilievka and capture Sukh Komsomolets but could not advance further and were later pushed back up the valley by the two German divisions until the afternoon rains brought most of the combat to a halt.

12 July, 1943

Prokhorovka, Russia: (Best played H2H or as German vs AI): The legend of the battle of Prokhorovka often includes a gigantic swirling tank battle involving over a thousand tanks. But the truth, as it often does, proves to be much less than the legends say. The origin of the mythic tank battle comes from the Russian 29th Tank Corps assault upon the German SS Panzergrenadier Division "LAH". Here the 29th Tank Corps attacks the 2nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment at 8;30 AM. The 2nd Regiment which is defending the LAH division's front line, was expecting small local attacks, which had been the norm from the Russian units they had been facing for the past seven days. But the size of the this armored attack totally surprised them. The Russians push back the Germans and make good progress at first, capturing Hill 252.2. But a forgotten anti-tank ditch and the Smoroshevoye Forest brought the Soviet assault to an abrupt halt. This allows the 1st SS Panzer Regiment to counterattack and take back most of the lost ground. By 1:00 PM the fighting is largely over with the Germans reoccupying the southern side of Hill 252.2 and the Russians holding the northern side, with the peak of the hill becoming a no-man's land between them.

12 July, 1943

Kalinin, Russia, 16Km southwest of Prokhorovka: (Best played against human player or as German vs AI): The 2nd Guards Tank Corps was not ready when the main attack started at 8:30AM, so General Rotmistrov let them begin their attack later. It was not until about 12:00 PM that the 2nd Guards started theirs, with some support from the 2nd Tank Corps as well. But the Russians had a few disadvantages in this attack that they did not have in their earlier ones. For one, it started to rain about the same time that the attack started. Within an hour the rains turned the ground soft. They also lowered the visibility down for the rest of the afternoon. Also, the Russians did not have a massive artillery barrage at the start of this attack, in fact, most artillery requests for the rest of the day were denied due to ammunition shortages. But the 183rd Rifle Division would be following up behind the 2nd Guards to occupy and defend what gains were made. Their target was the German Das Reich SS Panzergrenadier Division. Das Reich had been largely left alone during the morning attacks, except during the initial barrage. In fact, its soldiers were expecting to have an easy day. But as they enjoyed their midday meal, they had their lunch interrupted by Russian armor coming over the rise in front of them. Several penetrations were made in German front line, but these were quickly sealed off and destroyed. The largest penetration occurred into the vast field north of the town of Kalinin. Here a Russian tank brigade ran into an ambush sprung by German artillery, tank, and tank destroyer units deployed around the perimeter of the field. After suffering many casualties, the Russians withdrew back to their defensive line to regroup and prepare for the German attack that they knew would come in the next few days.

And finally, here's a design note to go with all of them:
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]First, the maps: The areas depicted are the actual areas that the forces had to work in historically. The limits represent their maneuver boundaries. Actually I cheated a bit and gave them one or two hexes past their historical limits because sometimes units would go past their boundaries before being hauled back in by higher command. To go any further is to go into another scenario that is occurring at the same time[/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Second, game turns: If I wanted to be totally historically accurate, then the these scenarios would be 70 - 90 turns in length to match the total length in time that combat occurred in the areas depicted. Of course, in each case the fighting was most intense the first couple of hours (20-30 turns), after that the Russians would attack with reduced forces, get beaten back, then spend an hour or so regrouping, then attack again, repeating this cycle for the rest of the day. Because of the mechanics of the Campaign System, I had already shrunk the time length down to eliminate those periods of no combat. But as we both know the Campaign System does not do a very good job in depicting the friction of war. Any way there are a lot of scenarios in the normal game that end well before the time limits too, mostly because of how people play the game[/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Last, but not least: this scenario is for history, not tournaments.[/font]

I hope you enjoy these historical battles, they certainly give an idea of what went on at Kursk salient at the time...

Last edited by Crossroads on Mon May 02, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thank you, Crossroads. [:)]
Richard
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Commanders, Alan's created a few historical battles-within-battle scenarios from the Prokhorovka 5 Proper. Here they are. 

First, their Scenario DB pages for downloading them:

>> Vassilievka (Subset of Prokhorovka - The Historical Battle) <<

>> Hill 252.2 (Subset of Prokhorovka - The Historical Battle) <<

>> Kalinin (Subset of Prokhorovka - The Historical Battle) <<

And here's the scenario descriptions:
12 July, 1943

Vassilievka, 15 Km west of Prokhorovka, Russia (Best played against Human player or as German vs AI): At 8:30 AM on July 12th, a massive artillery barrage opened up along the length of the German frontline. After fifteen minutes the barrage was lifted and various Russian units moved out against the Germans. Among these units was the Russian 18th Tank Corps, followed by units of the 42nd Guards Rifle Division. The 18th Tank Corps moved down the Psel River Valley in two columns. The left column was led by 170th Tank Brigade, which was supported by the 36th Guards Heavy Tank Regiment. The right column was led by the 181st Tank Brigade. The left column was to support the 29th Tank Corps assault on Hill 252.2 but found its path blocked by an anti-tank ditch so it continued its way south towards its ultimate objective, the Sukh Komsomolets. The right column was to move down the road by the Psel River and relieve the Russian force holed up in the town of Vassilievka. The Germans replied by sending the Tiger platoon from the 1 SS Panzer Regiment, plus elements from the 1st SS Assault Gun, 1st SS Recon, and 1st SS Anti-Tank Battalions to block the left column, while various elements of the 3rd SS Division tried to eliminate the trapped Russian force before the 181st could relieve it. The Russians then sent in their second echelon consisting of the 110th Tank and the 53rd Motorized Rifle Brigades, followed up by the 132nd and 136th Guards Rifle Regiments of the 42nd Guards Rifle Division. Ultimately, the Russians did relieve the force in Vassilievka and capture Sukh Komsomolets but could not advance further and were later pushed back up the valley by the two German divisions until the afternoon rains brought most of the combat to a halt.

12 July, 1943

Prokhorovka, Russia: (Best played H2H or as German vs AI): The legend of the battle of Prokhorovka often includes a gigantic swirling tank battle involving over a thousand tanks. But the truth, as it often does, proves to be much less than the legends say. The origin of the mythic tank battle comes from the Russian 29th Tank Corps assault upon the German SS Panzergrenadier Division "LAH". Here the 29th Tank Corps attacks the 2nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment at 8;30 AM. The 2nd Regiment which is defending the LAH division's front line, was expecting small local attacks, which had been the norm from the Russian units they had been facing for the past seven days. But the size of the this armored attack totally surprised them. The Russians push back the Germans and make good progress at first, capturing Hill 252.2. But a forgotten anti-tank ditch and the Smoroshevoye Forest brought the Soviet assault to an abrupt halt. This allows the 1st SS Panzer Regiment to counterattack and take back most of the lost ground. By 1:00 PM the fighting is largely over with the Germans reoccupying the southern side of Hill 252.2 and the Russians holding the northern side, with the peak of the hill becoming a no-man's land between them.

12 July, 1943

Kalinin, Russia, 16Km southwest of Prokhorovka: (Best played against human player or as German vs AI): The 2nd Guards Tank Corps was not ready when the main attack started at 8:30AM, so General Rotmistrov let them begin their attack later. It was not until about 12:00 PM that the 2nd Guards started theirs, with some support from the 2nd Tank Corps as well. But the Russians had a few disadvantages in this attack that they did not have in their earlier ones. For one, it started to rain about the same time that the attack started. Within an hour the rains turned the ground soft. They also lowered the visibility down for the rest of the afternoon. Also, the Russians did not have a massive artillery barrage at the start of this attack, in fact, most artillery requests for the rest of the day were denied due to ammunition shortages. But the 183rd Rifle Division would be following up behind the 2nd Guards to occupy and defend what gains were made. Their target was the German Das Reich SS Panzergrenadier Division. Das Reich had been largely left alone during the morning attacks, except during the initial barrage. In fact, its soldiers were expecting to have an easy day. But as they enjoyed their midday meal, they had their lunch interrupted by Russian armor coming over the rise in front of them. Several penetrations were made in German front line, but these were quickly sealed off and destroyed. The largest penetration occurred into the vast field north of the town of Kalinin. Here a Russian tank brigade ran into an ambush sprung by German artillery, tank, and tank destroyer units deployed around the perimeter of the field. After suffering many casualties, the Russians withdrew back to their defensive line to regroup and prepare for the German attack that they knew would come in the next few days.

And finally, here's a design note to go with all of them:
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]First, the maps: The areas depicted are the actual areas that the forces had to work in historically. The limits represent their maneuver boundaries. Actually I cheated a bit and gave them one or two hexes past their historical limits because sometimes units would go past their boundaries before being hauled back in by higher command. To go any further is to go into another scenario that is occurring at the same time[/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Second, game turns: If I wanted to be totally historically accurate, then the these scenarios would be 70 - 90 turns in length to match the total length in time that combat occurred in the areas depicted. Of course, in each case the fighting was most intense the first couple of hours (20-30 turns), after that the Russians would attack with reduced forces, get beaten back, then spend an hour or so regrouping, then attack again, repeating this cycle for the rest of the day. Because of the mechanics of the Campaign System, I had already shrunk the time length down to eliminate those periods of no combat. But as we both know the Campaign System does not do a very good job in depicting the friction of war. Any way there are a lot of scenarios in the normal game that end well before the time limits too, mostly because of how people play the game[/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Last, but not least: this scenario is for history, not tournaments.[/font]

I hope you enjoy these historical battles, they certainly give an idea of what went on at Kursk salient at the time...

Alan has provided updates to all of these scenarios in a form of tweaks to Orders of Battles and historical starting positions. Have a look, the scenario home pages remain the same!
---

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”