Supply by Rail?

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bigwins

Supply by Rail?

Post by bigwins »

Moving the Soviet's East Poland garrison in Nov. 39 I noticed many were out of supply. I re-read the supply rules and if I understand them correctly this is how rail path work and why the Soviet units are out of supply.

I have a unit in the hex directly west of Lvov sitting on a rail line, out of supply. You can only use rail as a supply path to a secondary source. So I can't trace by rail back to Kiev (nine hexes)because it is a primary source. But if the Germans had a unit deep inside the USSR, lets say Baku, they could trace a supply line by rail back to a conquered Warsaw, a secondary source. Is this correct? WOW!
paulderynck

RE: Supply by Rail?

Post by paulderynck »

No, you can never use a rail line to trace supply until the last leg that goes to a primary source. And a rail path can only be used from a secondary source, not directly from a unit - except an HQ which of course is a secondary source by itself. In clear weather a basic supply line is 4 hexes max and enjoys no "free" hexes like a rail path does.

So for all units but HQs, if in clear weather, they are further than 4 hexes from an HQ or a city that is a primary or secondary source, then they are out of supply.

As part of the total path, if needed, secondary sources can trace to other secondary sources ad infinitum each using the basic four hex path, but not using a rail path.
Paul
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

So, I cannot use a rail line to trace supply to a primary source unless it is going through a secondary source. In other words, rail can only be used if a secondary supply source is involved?
And rail can only be used between the secondary source and the primary source.

However, taking the example in my original post. Can Germany trace supply an unlimited number of rail hexes from Warsaw to Baku or even Asia because Warsaw is a secondary source. I guess not.?

I guess I am having a hard time picturing the restrictions of using rail to move supplies. I have read the rules several times.

Thanks

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: bigwins

So, I cannot use a rail line to trace supply to a primary source unless it is going through a secondary source. In other words, rail can only be used if a secondary supply source is involved?
And rail can only be used between the secondary source and the primary source.
Yes
However, taking the example in my original post. Can Germany trace supply an unlimited number of rail hexes from Warsaw to Baku or even Asia because Warsaw is a secondary source. I guess not.?
They can if they have an HQ there to trace to first (even if adjacent to Vladivostok) , but then Warsaw is superfluous. Once traced to the HQ (the secondary source) then the rail may as well go to a primary source in Germany (i.e. even further) - all still legit.
I guess I am having a hard time picturing the restrictions of using rail to move supplies. I have read the rules several times.

Thanks
The restrictions are the ones I posted. In WiF, secondary sources - especially HQs - represent the logistics needed to allow a rail head to supply an army. A rail line that happens to run by a unit does not mean those logistics automatically exist there. (Similarly, you can rail move a unit to a city, port or HQ but you can't arbitrarily stop in the middle of nowhere on a rail line.)
Paul
Easo79

Post by Easo79 »

Thanks Paul for your explanations about the meaning of secondary sources. It is a pity that a "Guide to the rules", explaining the rationale behind rules and their exceptions (and the exceptions to the exceptions) does not exist...

A l’hora que el sol se pon, bevent al raig de la font, he assaborit els secrets de la terra misteriosa.

Part de dins de la canal he vist l’aigua virginal venir del fosc naixement a regalar-me la boca.

Return to “WIF School”