Windows mode does work

Battles In Italy is the fourth game in the award-winning Decisive Battles of WWII game series from Strategic Studies Group. Battles in Italy recreates all aspects of the Italy campaign, from the landings on Sicily to Salerno, Anzio and Rome. Strategic Studies Group has again updated the Decisive Battles game engine for Battles in Italy with campaign specific features and other enhancements.

Moderator: alexs

terry1040

Windows mode does work

Post by terry1040 »

Gentlemen,

I am currently running "Battles in Italy" in Windows-Mode on my Desktop through the DXWnd program. Everything seems to work fine for me. Only some graphics glitches with the font (see below).
DxWnd is a sort of DirectX emulator (or wrapper) that helps in running old Windows games on modern systems.
It forces it to be run IN A WINDOWED MODE on your desktop.

You can get DXWnd from this link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

Here is how to use it:
0. Download the latest version of Dxwnd (it is a .rar pack so you may need WinRAR to unpack it)
1. Unpack all the files to a new folder like "C:\DXWnd\" for example.
2. Start DXWnd and in the main window choose Edit and Add.
3. Name the Target "Battles in Italy"
4. Now in the Path: field click on the "..." and browse to your "Battles in Italy"-Folder, Select "BattlesInItaly.exe" and click open.
5. Modify Position to x 50 y 50 w 1024 h 768 and check the radio button x,y coordinates or desktop center. If using the higher resolution, you can enter w 1280 h 1024.
4. Now click OK and a new entry will appear in the main window of DxWnd.
5. Double click on that name and the game should launch using the DxWnd emulation IN A WINDOW on your desktop.

The game works w/o problems. I assume this will also go for all other SSG Games of this Series.
However, I still struggle to get the fonts right.
There are so many option with DxWnd. I have not found the right setting yet. Maybe this community is ready to help out?

Cheers
Terry
eschatzy

RE: Windows mode does work

Post by eschatzy »

To fix the font issue go to the video tab and check mark "Set 16BPP RGB565 encoding"
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

Thanks for this! Now I've got to find my old "Battles" SSG games! [&:]
TargAK

Post by TargAK »

Good info and thanks!

Return to “Decisive Battles: Battles In Italy”