Battleground Italy

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Harrybanana

Battleground Italy

Post by Harrybanana »

New Player and I have finished the Introductory scenarios and have started the Battleground Italy scenario.This scenario starts with the WA already ashore in Sicily. My Amphibious TFs are off shore but I don't have my temp ports and airbases. Is this WAD? If so how do I create my Temp ports and AFs or do I just have to make do without them. Also how do I stop the Germans from Interdicting the sea hexes off the SE coast of Sicily and isolating my units there? I set up air superiority missions over these hexes but as far as I can tell not a single German sea patrol mission was intercepted. Well actually Malta Command flew several missions, but all without any aircraft, not sure how that is possible.
Robert Harris
Helpless

RE: Battleground Italy

Post by Helpless »

Also how do I stop the Germans from Interdicting the sea hexes off the SE coast of Sicily and isolating my units there?

Bomb ports to reduce port interdiction.

Bomb AF's to reduce enemy flights.

Fly AS over landing area. Don't overstretch as AS is loosing efficiency when area is too wide. AS is reducing automatic naval interdiction values. Also may intercept, but since enemy flight detection won't be too good don't expect it to happen all the time.

Place groups eligible to fly automatic naval patrols closer to the landing sight.

Fly naval patrols AD's (manual naval interdiction) over the area of landing.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

I did most of this the first time but I tried again only increasing the number of ADs performing these missions and reducing the number of ADs for all other missions. It worked. Thank you.

But I still don't have my temporary ports and airfields. I assume that is WAD, but if so I don't understand why the developers made the decision to not give the WA the temporary ports and AFs they would have had otherwise.
Robert Harris
ParaB

Post by ParaB »

In that scenario you get only 1 temp port/airfield at Licata, but you already have two ports in Siracusa and Gela and two AFs at Gela and Pachino. Probably a scenario design decision. You have more than enough airpower to deny the Germans interdicting your naval supply routes though. If the coastal command can't deal with german naval interdiction tasking a few groups from the Strategic Air force to help will easily do the trick.

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, the setup was just a decision by the scenario designer, so it does play out a little differently than Husky or Campaign 43.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”