Early Campaign Attacks

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Rayfer

Early Campaign Attacks

Post by Rayfer »

Playing as Union, late July 1861, I have the multiple stacks in Alexandria and decide to attack Manassas. Without Corps or Divisions (even though the stacks are called divisions) allow yet.....is it best to move the separate stacks using simultaneous move, or drag and drop them all into one giant stack then move it? I'm unclear on how to handle these pre-corp/division combats. Thanks.
Rayfer
Pocus

RE: Early Campaign Attacks

Post by Pocus »

That might lead to a mess, as historically! [:D]

Without a proper command structure (army-corps), you can't anyway use the synch move order. So the question is about: do I wrap everyone in a stack or do I send them separate to avoid a combat penalty.

If you can manage having each stack moving at the same speed, split them in stacks. beware though that unactivated leaders will perform rather poorly if caught in a fight, plus as they can't switch to offensive posture, will only be called upon if directly attacked or if the whole army is overwhelmed.

Baring that, a mass of undisciplined soldiers suffering max penalty is your only option. Welcome to the 61' Union Army!
AGEOD Team
Rayfer

Post by Rayfer »

Thanks pocus....not what I wanted to hear but it is an answer. I sent them in as a multitude of separate stacks and ended up with three separate battles of which I was defeated in them all. Yes...I'm learning how difficult it was for the Union in the early years. Mounting a campaign is a daunting task.
Rayfer
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

Also add the fact that most of the senior leadership for the Union have lower stats then their Confederate counterparts. There are a few good ones in the mix, but they lack seniority in '61.

Chances are real good that you when you lead your mob into battle most of your generals will be off sampling the local applejack. On the positive side, there is a chance that you'll lose some of your dead beat leaders, never happens for me though as I always seem to lose the good ones.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Symple

Post by Symple »

Yeah, it takes time to build the Union leadership. But that was the war. Lots of options. I usually send Rosecrans east as soon as I can, but other choice do work.

Return to “Civil War II”