Question on how the engine handles three dimensional spaces

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Grondoval

Question on how the engine handles three dimensional spaces

Post by Grondoval »

Hello,

after testing out the awesome new version and playing some overlooked scenarios I found an interesting issue(?):

Imagine you are flying 40.000ft and directly above a SAM-Site. Albeit the horizontal distance (which is irrelevant here), to hit you the SAM obviously still needs time to climb to your altitude. In case of an example, an SA-3b Goa would take over 10 seconds to reach your altitude.

The issue in CMANO: If the missile bridged the horizontal gap (the 2d-plane) between you and the launch site (which is very short because you are over it), it will instantly reach you and cause a hit roll even if it is still WAY below you (like 30.000 ft.). In my test scenario the SA-3b destroyed an F-106 Delta Dart at 40.000 while the missile was just reaching 10.000.

So my question: is this a bug? Could the engine handle and represent vertical movement?

Of course half of the time you are keeping your distance to sam sites so this factor doesnt come into account so much. But still it could lead to pretty unrealistic and frustrating events like enemy fighters which are flying at 36.000 nearly above you, who is flying nap of the earth (4000ft ASL) and firing Sidewinders at you which impact almost instantly regardless of the vertical distance of over 9km.

mikmykWS

RE: Question on how the engine handles three dimensional spaces

Post by mikmykWS »

On the list. we're on break but if the guys feel like explaining more they will.

Thanks

Mike
Grondoval

Post by Grondoval »

Thank you for your quick answer [:)]! Of course nobody deserves a rest more than you devs! Especially after such a marathon of high content patches [;)]
AFIntel

Post by AFIntel »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

On the list. we're on break but if the guys feel like explaining more they will.

Thanks

Mike

OK, it's been about 24 hours since the release of 1.07. Break time is over. Get crackin' [:D]
jarraya

Post by jarraya »

ORIGINAL: Grondoval

Hello,

after testing out the awesome new version and playing some overlooked scenarios I found an interesting issue(?):

Imagine you are flying 40.000ft and directly above a SAM-Site. Albeit the horizontal distance (which is irrelevant here), to hit you the SAM obviously still needs time to climb to your altitude. In case of an example, an SA-3b Goa would take over 10 seconds to reach your altitude.

The issue in CMANO: If the missile bridged the horizontal gap (the 2d-plane) between you and the launch site (which is very short because you are over it), it will instantly reach you and cause a hit roll even if it is still WAY below you (like 30.000 ft.). In my test scenario the SA-3b destroyed an F-106 Delta Dart at 40.000 while the missile was just reaching 10.000.

So my question: is this a bug? Could the engine handle and represent vertical movement?

Of course half of the time you are keeping your distance to sam sites so this factor doesnt come into account so much. But still it could lead to pretty unrealistic and frustrating events like enemy fighters which are flying at 36.000 nearly above you, who is flying nap of the earth (4000ft ASL) and firing Sidewinders at you which impact almost instantly regardless of the vertical distance of over 9km.

The same applies underwater. Had a sub killed at -1400ft by a torpedo at -33ft. 1400 ft is 1/4 nautical mile down (or up).

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”