VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Knickers

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Post by Knickers »

Could somebody please give me the password to the map editor for the default map? I want to look around at some things.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Knickers

Could somebody please give me the password to the map editor for the default map? I want to look around at some things.

Ah,no..........thats a massive bit of work done by our team leader as a set starting scenario for this mod. Anyone is free to use the map...take notes on each system and try to create their own but the password is private.
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Ah,no..........thats a massive bit of work done by our team leader as a set starting scenario for this mod. Anyone is free to use the map...take notes on each system and try to create their own but the password is private.

I was just about the reply to say that Knickers could always load the map as a custom map, if he just wanted to look at the map (rather than the scenario), but I just tried to do that and it crashes. I was just wondering if the map can be played as a custom map without the scenario in STPE Ver 2? If it is supposed to be playable, then I'm experiencing a glitch of some kind. If it's not supposed to be playable as a custom map, that is of course your decision, but I'd be interested to know how you did it - unless it's proprietary information :-)

Osito
Osito
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Osito;

No, the UFP Map is only a scenario map. It is my intention to release a map pack soon
that contains a playable UFP map as it stands now, in addition to a 700 star UFP map that
plays as a scenario, and can be played custom. Unfortunately though, it will not be finished
until around the end of April due to my business constraints and other projects I'm currently
managing.

No, you don't have a glitch. The scenario map is proprietary and due to editor protection and
events will crash and not load intentionally.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello Osito;

No, the UFP Map is only a scenario map. It is my intention to release a map pack soon
that contains a playable UFP map as it stands now, in addition to a 700 star UFP map that
plays as a scenario, and can be played custom. Unfortunately though, it will not be finished
until around the end of April due to my business constraints and other projects I'm currently
managing.

No, you don't have a glitch. The scenario map is proprietary and due to editor protection and
events will crash and not load intentionally.

Ooh! Any hints on what the custom map may be?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

No, no hints.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Well, looking forward to it anyway :D
Greedo37

Post by Greedo37 »

I'd like to try this mod :-) The mediafire link however is incredible slow, and after a couple of tries it always fails. Is there another download location? Or any tips on how to get it to speed up a bit?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Greedo37

I'd like to try this mod :-) The mediafire link however is incredible slow, and after a couple of tries it always fails. Is there another download location? Or any tips on how to get it to speed up a bit?
Hello Greedo37;

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty downloading our mod. Our Picard Era mods are hosted on my business
MediaFire account, so there shouldn't be many problems or issues downloading it on their end. I just tested
the link and successfully downloaded the Version 2.0 mod in 18 minutes (it IS a very large mod). Please try
again. If you still have difficulty, PM me later this evening.
[:)]
Greedo37

Post by Greedo37 »

Thanks for the offer :-)

I used a download manager and let it run overnight. Happy to say this worked!

Tried the mod for a little bit just now, and in half an hour I managed to annoy the Dominion and other species and made happy tree friends with the Borg.

This mod is just ... amazing. From the moment you select 'switch theme' you're in Star Trek land, The music, the ships, the ambiance, the planets, ... just amazing. A big thanks to the entire ST mod team for creating this entire new world (/insert violin here). [&o]

Now excuse me, I have a Breen Conf. to run to try and take over the universe, one planet at a time [:D]
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Very glad to hear you successfully completed the download and now have the mod. Yes, it
is immersive in many ways and we're proud players are liking it. Thanks for the kind
words and enjoy Distant Worlds Universe. Now enough of this, go kick some Dominion butt!
[:D]
ponasozis

Post by ponasozis »

I just had literally best distant worlds game ever

step 1 play as federation be this democratic friendly dude (yet silently conquer everybody in the galaxy)
step 2 rename yourself from Federation to Terran Empire
step 3 change all same family tree species to do not accept and other family trees to enslave and few races even to exterminate
step 4 change government form to way of darkness
step 5 massive taxes on everybody
step 6 give full control of my empire to AI
step 7 wait and watch how entire galaxy implodes into chaos and war
3 new big empires instantly formed from my empire
this was greatest thing i ever done make everybody in the galaxy happy and then enslave them
glorious

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Sounds lovely! I hope the three resulting empires are in eternal war against each other?
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

[quote]ORIGINAL: ponasozis

I just had literally best distant worlds game ever

Glad you're enjoying the mod. The Trek Team didn't exactly have in mind for you to enslave the entire galaxy but if that's what rocks your world, as Spock would say, "make it so".

Enjoy! Live long and prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

So I am having a problem with the ship design AI again, this time it has to do with choosing what technology to use on my ships.

http://prntscr.com/6ec1vn

As you can see there, I have extreme energy beams, which is superior to advanced wave weapons, yet the Ship design AI insists on favoring advanced wave weapons and putting PulseWave Cannons primarily on my military ships instead of phaser cannons.

HOWEVER, Even before I unlocked advanced wave weapons, I had phaser optimization and advanced phasers unlocked as well, which would make phaser beams and phaser cannons superior to PulseWave Cannons, and at that time the AI DID use, primarily phaser weapons, giving my ships a higher firepower rating. Now that I have unlocked advanced wave weapons, the AI has gone back to using these PulseWave weapons and the firepower rating on many of my ships has gone down from anywhere between 100-300 points.

Note: On my ship designs screen, I have upgrade on automatic, and retrofit on automatic, for all ships. My tech emphasis places Phasers at 3, while torpedoes and construction above it.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Knickers;

First of all, I need to know what race you are playing. That way I can look at
the Weapons Research Pathing in that particular race file so I can give you
an accurate response. Without knowing, I can only speculate.

Secondly, from looking at your provided screenshot, whatever race you are playing,
something in the pathing is amiss. By amiss, meaning that there seems to have been some
modifications of the original files at some point. Reason being is that there are no
races whose weapons research can be where it is shown at (according to your screenshot)
if the AI is following the pathing from the original files. This of course is also
speculation, but since I wrote the Weapons research pathing for the races I can see
there has been an alteration. Either the AI's pathing was intentionally interrupted and
manually changed, then put back on automatic, or started manually assigned then placed
on automatic. Which if either of the aforementioned were the case, you would get the
results you've reported. Which, by the way, is handled according to the DW game logic,
not the mods.
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

Okay

For all of my reports I have been playing as the Federation on the Canon Map provided.

The reason my research is different then you set the AI to research is because much of the research has been acquired through tech trading and intelligence missions, giving my ships a great advantage compared to the others. Because of the existence of the Glottal Pillagers and their high tech level, as well as the outstanding intelligence agents that I have been given, I have sent three agents on continuous missions to steal research.

I believe that the AI did not plan that I would be stealing tech or trading tech with other races, and that is probably why the designs are messed up.

P.S.: I got the high-level weapons upgrades by tech trading with the Tamarians, who possess extremely high levels of technology, likely due to their government as a Technocracy. (I abused mining in their territory then trading the mines to the Tamarians for the ridiculous prices that they are worth.)

To prevent this from happening in the future, you might consider either limiting tech trading or eliminating it from the prebuilt map, because otherwise the tech from the glottal pillagers is only advanced to a certain point, not one that may be game-breaking like tech trading.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

...I believe that the AI did not plan that I would be stealing tech or trading tech with other races, and that is probably why the designs are messed up...

To prevent this from happening in the future, you might consider either limiting tech trading or eliminating it from the prebuilt map, because otherwise the tech from the glottal pillagers is only advanced to a certain point, not one that may be game-breaking like tech trading.
Hello Knickers;

Please refer back to our Trek Team mantra, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few,
or the one"
, concerning how our mod was created. We appreciate comments and opinions concerning
our Star Trek mods, but again, please try to understand that our approach was to please the majority
of players' ideology and play methods. In addition, also note that there is a box to check to disallow tech trading
for those that wish to play a custom game with our mod, or any other mod or the vanilla game. As far as our
prebuilt maps go, they are what they are. If players wish to use exploits, such as
what you've done with espionage, or any other playstyle view, that's their (your) own prerogative.

There have been numerous posts in the DW War Games thread concerning gameplay exploits. In DW those
methods (including espionage use) are readily available. Once you see that, you will also know that
the core game processes will ofttimes act illogically when certain similar tactics are used. You
will especially see that in such things as ship design, troop assault tactics, etcetera. So expect
that to happen and realize that is the way that the core game handles things and no theme or amount
of modification changes that.

Knickers

Post by Knickers »

...I believe that the AI did not plan that I would be stealing tech or trading tech with other races, and that is probably why the designs are messed up...

Hello Knickers;

Please refer back to our Trek Team mantra, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few,
or the one"
, concerning how our mod was created. We appreciate comments and opinions concerning
our Star Trek mods, but again, please try to understand that our approach was to please the majority
of players' ideology and play methods. In addition, also note that there is a box to check to disallow tech trading
for those that wish to play a custom game with our mod, or any other mod or the vanilla game. As far as our
prebuilt maps go, they are what they are. If players wish to use exploits, such as
what you've done with espionage, or any other playstyle view, that's their (your) own prerogative.

There have been numerous posts in the DW War Games thread concerning gameplay exploits. In DW those
methods (including espionage use) are readily available. Once you see that, you will also know that
the core game processes will ofttimes act illogically when certain similar tactics are used. You
will especially see that in such things as ship design, troop assault tactics, etcetera. So expect
that to happen and realize that is the way that the core game handles things and no theme or amount

Okay I understand, I just thought that since you guys set up the tech to do something else than what I had done that I had accidentally broken it. If it was meant to be allowed to be messed around with then that is your own decision.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Hello Knickers;

or the one"

Okay I understand, I just thought that since you guys set up the tech to do something else than what I had done that I had accidentally broken it. If it was meant to be allowed to be messed around with then that is your own decision.

Basically,through espionage and tech trading you skewed your ai's ability to build the optimized ships you were expecting it to build. It's not a modding issue,its a game issue. Now if you design your own ships there is no problem doing what you are doing. It will give you more to do but it will get you the tech/design that you want on your ships. Since its bothering you you may as well try the design your own ships path and see how you like it.

Return to “Design and Modding”