War in Europe by Decision Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

76mm

War in Europe by Decision Games

Post by 76mm »

So does anyone here play War in Europe by Decision Games?
War In Europe

No, its not Schwerpunkt's World War II in Europe, or GG's in-process opus covering the WitE/WitW, or even World in Flames, although it is a board game adaptation.

It's a bit dated--came out in 2009--and while the graphics are not very flash the board game look works pretty well for the game.

I just picked it up a week or so ago and have to say that I really like it. I don't care for the GG games design approach, and WiF is just too different for my taste, plus I don't want to play the war in Asia. This sounds most like WWIIe, but that game is still being released scenario by scenario, and who knows when the 1939-1945 scenario will come out and be usable.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying this game more than I expected; while the game has taken some odd turns--the Italians in Iran, the US and UK meekly sitting in England, and Russia declaring war on Germany in 12/42--it is exactly the kind of open-ended Europe-wide WWII game that I was looking for. Plus, it has an editor, so you if you don't like something, you can change it.

Once I play a bit more solo, I might be up for a PBEM game, so wanted to check here for players. Decision Games has a pretty sleepy forum, but I cannot register there, it looks like it blocks me because I'm in Russia [&:]
Ironclad

RE: War in Europe by Decision Games

Post by Ironclad »

If you are interested in a great WW2 European theatre pbem, try the Grand Strategy version of Commander Europe at War, which has been deveoped especially for pbem play.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

does the game have an AI to play solo against though i am curious?
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

It has the original vanilla game's AI which has been subject to a few minor adjustments but the main focus of the developers (game enthusiasts) has been to enhance the game primarily for pbem play. Whilst the original was a decent enough game the Grand Strategy variant has introduced massive changes for a superlative game which remains extremely playable and a great arena for trying out different strategies within the WW2 framework. The best forum is the one on the Slitherine site so have a look at the AAR's.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Hi 76mm,

I have not played this game, but have looked at a few times over at boardgamegeek.com. The only DG game I own isAxis Empires: Totaler Krieg!

At first when I looked at your link I thought it was the Vassal version, but apparently they released a stand alone computer game for it that I did not know about. It seems like a pretty hefty game with over 4,080 counters.

Good luck with that monster! [8D]
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I play it solo all the time. used to mod it to suit my tastes but playing vanilla right now, up to late 1943. The only problem with solo play is you always make the same mistakes as each Country. Mine has no AI. I can not get a response on the Forums due to they got mad at me a few years back for asking questions and banned my address.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Actually, it doesn't have an AI, so you have to play either solo or PBEM. twotribes, their forum seems locked down really tight--too tight--I can't even register there at all, I even tried to do so through a proxy server, but no dice.

Ironclad, the Commander, Europe at War game looked interesting until I saw that it uses sprites instead of unit counters--ughh, I don't do sprites.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

76mm I bumped 2 threads here discussing the game

Joe

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Ironclad, the Commander, Europe at War game looked interesting until I saw that it uses sprites instead of unit counters--ughh, I don't do sprites.

Funny enough I like sprites but it gives you the option of sprites or counters.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

The reason I don't like sprites is that usually if you have sprites you don't have stacking, and I really don't like games without stacking. Is there stacking in that game?
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

No there is no stacking but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it out.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

To clarify;

Commander Europe ate War has no stacking

War in Europe by Decision Games does have stacking.

Return to “General Discussion”