Learning the game

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Empty014

Learning the game

Post by Empty014 »

Hi Gents,

what is the best approach to learning this huge game. Apart from the tutorial vids what is around to help my sponge (brain) take it all in

Cheers [:)]
NotOneStepBack

RE: Learning the game

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Read the manual. Then read it again while playing a human.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Start with the tutorials. Play the AI before playing a human it will allow you to get your feet wet and familiar with how things work. Play a human in a shorter scenario - wait until you feel comfortable before tackling a campaign game vs another human.
reggimann

Post by reggimann »

Watch the tutorial videos that come with the game. Read the manual. Re-watch the videos. Play Husky as Allies, just like in the videos. Enjoy your first victory after having applied what you've learned. Then move on to mid-sized campaigns like Breakout.

That's what I did.
WitP-AE - WitE - WitW
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

I played Husky a few times and then just yesterday I finished the breakout and pursuit scenario. I've just been learning as I go. Whenever I run into something I don't understand, or something I wonder about, I pull out the manual for a look. Even more handy is the quick reference handbook thing that comes with the game. That will really help you get going. Also, reading through AARs helps with overall strategic considerations. Most AARs don't delve into which buttons to push when, but you learn what makes good players tick and you can integrate some of those tidbits into your own game. It's taken me a while to really get into (bought it around Christmas) but I'm really starting to enjoy it now that I'm finding my footing. [8D]

Have fun!
reggimann

Post by reggimann »

ORIGINAL: gexmex

Whenever I run into something I don't understand, or something I wonder about, I pull out the manual for a look.

One thing this reminds me of: When you learn something important using this method and you're 6 turns in, don't get discouraged and restart. "Oh my, I can do deliberate attacks!? Better get a do-over!" This way you'll never complete a scenario. Just keep going, applying all the new things you learned by looking them up here or in the manual. You will probably lose, but that matters very little. Next time you'll be ready.
WitP-AE - WitE - WitW
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

ORIGINAL: CptEggman

ORIGINAL: gexmex

Whenever I run into something I don't understand, or something I wonder about, I pull out the manual for a look.

One thing this reminds me of: When you learn something important using this method and you're 6 turns in, don't get discouraged and restart. "Oh my, I can do deliberate attacks!? Better get a do-over!" This way you'll never complete a scenario. Just keep going, applying all the new things you learned by looking them up here or in the manual. You will probably lose, but that matters very little. Next time you'll be ready.

Indeed! I think all of my victories thus far have been in the "marginal" category (and that's just on easy...so....yeah [8|] ) but I'm sticking with it and learning. When you get overly frustrated, just take a break and don't give up! [8D] Enjoyment is the key.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Husky a few times, graduate to Breakout (only 12 turns so you can do it a couple times easily). Then find a PBEM opponent to play a "relaxed" learning game of the campaign. I'm playing 2 with the same opponent. One as Allies, one as German, and we've agreed to share insights. We restarted the me as German because Scott messed up the invasion preps so badly he was too far behind to recover. I think it's a good way to learn the system.

Also, read all the AARs as they are posted. Some great information and hints come out of those.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

There are now some very good videos on youtube by folks like Pewpewchewchew that can be very helpful. For me having a printed manual is also helpful even though I have dual monitors, a laptop and tablet I could read .pdfs from.

I just like having a high quality manual that stays open easily to refer to. You're going to want to learn using hot keys.

I'm looking to start a PBEM Italy Campaign, now that this has been out a while and updated.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There are now some very good videos on youtube by folks like Pewpewchewchew that can be very helpful.

Thanks for mentioning it. Tutorial is best I've seen so far.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”