How Do I Reserve Action Points?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

tinjaw

How Do I Reserve Action Points?

Post by tinjaw »

I have a pure artillery unit. If I tell it to bombard a hex, it will use all it's action points to do so. Then it won't be able to move. I want to spend half the AP on firing, and save the other half to move. Is that possible? In this case I want to shot my artillery against a city and then move back a hex.
cpdeyoung

RE: How Do I Reserve Action Points?

Post by cpdeyoung »

In an IGOUGO game the enemy gets their licks in next turn, but could not do so if you withdrew. In GD1938 for example each turn is a month long, and it would be "unrealistic" to be able to fire for three weeks and then pull back unscathed. This is even more important for naval bombardment. Everyone wants to pull away from the coast, especially if there is shore based air around.

That being said if you are bombarding a hex that is not developed, eg. a city, factory, bridge etc. then you may get a destruction of the target and still be able to move.

Chuck
Josh

Post by Josh »

From the top of my head I don't know if that's correct Chuck, if a target (city, mine, bridge) has structural points I think the barrage spends the entire Action Points. Even if that target has half structural points from previous bombings. So bombing that one = no move afterwards.

But, back to Tinjaws question, there's no "save AP" button. There's a workaround though, and that's a matter of game experience. First of all the Artillery stops firing after the last opponent has either fled/taken cover (lower part of the battle resolution screen), or is killed (middle part of the battle resolution screen). So when the opposing unit consists only of soft targets the artillery barrage will be over *before* all of its AP are spend. Giving it time to withdraw. That being said, it also depends on how powerful your Arty is, what the means of movement is (truck, horses, halftracks), the experience of your Artillery, the Staff coverage and experience.

So, when you got a very experienced Heavy Artillery III with good HQ coverage, they'll blast a soft target (say an inf unit) to smithereens in maybe 2/10 - 3/10 of a turn. Leaving you time enough for withdrawal. Now add armour to that target and your Arty probably will spend the entire turn blasting away at that armour, as it's much harder to kill. Even for experienced troops.

Sp there you go, no save AP button, but game experience will allow you to withdraw after battle.

Usually I don't follow that tactic. I recon what's in front of me. Stay away from opposing arty fire, and then move one hex forward with everything I have and blast away. Sometimes that don't work so I go around it.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Josh,

Looking at my post I can see where I was confusing. I gave examples of "developed" hexes while referring to "not developed". It is the "not developed" hexes that allow a chance at withdrawal!

Your description is clear and accurate, mine much less so.

I will say I have been able to withdraw from the coast after shore bombardment, but only a hex or two, not enough to get away from torpedo planes!

Chuck
Josh

Post by Josh »

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

From the top of my head I don't know if that's correct Chuck, if a target (city, mine, bridge) has structural points I think the barrage spends the entire Action Points. Even if that target has half structural points from previous bombings. So bombing that one = no move afterwards.

But, back to Tinjaws question, there's no "save AP" button. There's a workaround though, and that's a matter of game experience. First of all the Artillery stops firing after the last opponent has either fled/taken cover (lower part of the battle resolution screen), or is killed (middle part of the battle resolution screen). So when the opposing unit consists only of soft targets the artillery barrage will be over *before* all of its AP are spend. Giving it time to withdraw. That being said, it also depends on how powerful your Arty is, what the means of movement is (truck, horses, halftracks), the experience of your Artillery, the Staff coverage and experience.

So, when you got a very experienced Heavy Artillery III with good HQ coverage, they'll blast a soft target (say an inf unit) to smithereens in maybe 2/10 - 3/10 of a turn. Leaving you time enough for withdrawal. Now add armour to that target and your Arty probably will spend the entire turn blasting away at that armour, as it's much harder to kill. Even for experienced troops.

Sp there you go, no save AP button, but game experience will allow you to withdraw after battle.

Usually I don't follow that tactic. I recon what's in front of me. Stay away from opposing arty fire, and then move one hex forward with everything I have and blast away. Sometimes that don't work so I go around it.

Thanks for this lesson! It is very informative! Hope I get a chance to put it to good use. [:D]
JRR
Josh

Post by Josh »

Glad to be of help. [:)] Just another hint, forget about using regular Artillery and go for Heavy Artillery as soon as you can. Because they may be more expensive and harder to transport (these hefty beasts require halftracks for transport). Regular artillery just ain't got the punch, Heavy Artillery is way way more deadly, gets much more kills and therefor gets exp much faster. I've said this before but I'll repeat it here, experienced Heavy Artillery lvl II and up is as deadly as a modern day MLRS, anything it can see it can kill.
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

...Sp there you go, no save AP button, but game experience will allow you to withdraw after battle. ...

Thanks for the explanation. That was very helpful.
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

Glad to be of help. [:)] Just another hint, forget about using regular Artillery and go for Heavy Artillery as soon as you can. Because they may be more expensive and harder to transport (these hefty beasts require halftracks for transport). Regular artillery just ain't got the punch, Heavy Artillery is way way more deadly, gets much more kills and therefor gets exp much faster. I've said this before but I'll repeat it here, experienced Heavy Artillery lvl II and up is as deadly as a modern day MLRS, anything it can see it can kill.

There are times though that I use (regular) Artillery. When I need something cheap to knock down the readiness of a group of infantry. They cost less and only need horse transport. Yes, you won't get as many kills as with Heavy Artillery, but they will do as much suppression (lost readiness) as Heavy Artillery.

I just can't always afford the larger resource cost of Heavy Artillery and its transport.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”