Can you have fun solo with the skirmish mode?

Sequel to its genre-busting predecessor, Battle Academy 2 moves the action east – to the bloodied plains of Mother Russia. When a gritty new look, great new features, and random mission generation meet battle-proven gameplay you can be sure of a strategy classic!

Experience the brutal campaign from both sides as you play across 4 campaigns – as partisan, Tiger, T-34 and dozens of other accurately modeled units. See how the harsh weather of the steppes changed the course of the war.

And after following the fortunes of the two sides you can then experience limitless battles with the brand new random skirmish feature. Customise your mission with the myriad settings before entering a unique and surprising battle every time.

Add in the best-in-class Slitherine PBEM++ multiplayer system, redesigned editor, custom scripting, and Cooperative multiplayer to create a new strategy masterpiece.
jack54

Can you have fun solo with the skirmish mode?

Post by jack54 »

I'm having so much fun with Pike and Shot in skirmish mode against the AI, I was wondering if this was similar. I realize it's a different setting with different units and such but I think I
really like the system or engine. I'm not a great player so it doesn't have to be awesome, just active and fun to play against.

Thanks!

Edit: I should mention I'm interested in the PC version...
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
aaatoysandmore

RE: Can you have fun solo with the skirmish mode?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Sure it's fun in the skirmish mode but don't expect Pike n Shot AI out of it. It's not as bad as FOG (Field of Glory) but it isn't the best thing this side of Nehi Grape either (ai wise that is). [:D]
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Thanks....[:)]

I'm not expecting Pike&Shot as long as it's entertaining.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I play skirmish games all the time. You can even play them on the game server as well.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

All new games should have skirmish mode and random campaigns and setups. I don't know who started random but I can't get enough of it now. I can't really play a pre-made scenario or campaign anymore.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

I'd recommend this, especially if you like the feel of Pike and Shot. BA2 is faster paced - the tanks are individual tanks and the infantry have 5 guys at the most, but due to the partial damage, armour facing and other aspects it is also as in depth. I probably prefer P&S as I prefer the era (waiting for a medieval or ancient version) to the modern era, but BA2 is as fun. The two sides have very different playstyles, and each side has two campaigns, so different difficulties. Then with Skirmish mode and Multiplayer, there is a lot to get through. Then there is the editor and the modding capabilities once you are finally bored with the inclusive content.

aaatoysandmore, I am still slugging through the first Soviet campaign when I'm not playing P&S (stuck on the siege of Bristol in P&S) so still three campaigns to go, and then there'll be the expansions by the time I'm done. I can't see me on Skirmish mode for at least a year.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Joseph M

I'd recommend this, especially if you like the feel of Pike and Shot. BA2 is faster paced - the tanks are individual tanks and the infantry have 5 guys at the most, but due to the partial damage, armour facing and other aspects it is also as in depth. I probably prefer P&S as I prefer the era (waiting for a medieval or ancient version) to the modern era, but BA2 is as fun. The two sides have very different playstyles, and each side has two campaigns, so different difficulties. Then with Skirmish mode and Multiplayer, there is a lot to get through. Then there is the editor and the modding capabilities once you are finally bored with the inclusive content.

aaatoysandmore, I am still slugging through the first Soviet campaign when I'm not playing P&S (stuck on the siege of Bristol in P&S) so still three campaigns to go, and then there'll be the expansions by the time I'm done. I can't see me on Skirmish mode for at least a year.

We're like the opposite. I can't see me playing the campaign mode or individual premade scenario's ever. They get to samey too fast for me now. Perhaps a once through sometime but premades are not my cup of tea in any game.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Yes, it would appear so. There are those who never even play Singleplayer, instead just jumping straight into Multiplayer, but I'm a bit of a completionist so I always complete the Singleplayer before moving on to the Skirmish or Multiplayer modes. Also, I don't deem a map finished until I have all the achievements unlocked on the hardest difficulty setting (but this might be why I don't like achievements in games).
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Thanks for the reply's... I picked this up during the 'Easter' sale and definitely enjoying it.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: jack54

Thanks for the reply's... I picked this up during the 'Easter' sale and definitely enjoying it.

Another good...no GREAT game with this engine is "HELL" Jack. I think you would like it too if you get into fantasy units. I'm really enjoying it.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Another good...no GREAT game with this engine is "HELL" Jack. I think you would like it too if you get into fantasy units. I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks... I picked 'HELL' up on release...a very nice game! They added Skirmish mode after the initial release which really put it over the top, at least for me..

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Thanks... I picked 'HELL' up on release...a very nice game! They added Skirmish mode after the initial release which really put it over the top, at least for me..

Yes, it was the added skirmish mode that got me interested in the game and since I've never regretted buying it. I just wish it had more support and advertising as the forum is dead and nobody to discuss how great the game is. I discovered how to handicap myself in custom builds. Say you make a 500pt game well both you and the ai get 500 points you just only use 250 and the ai will still use 500. [:)]

Return to “Battle Academy 2”