Battalion Landing Team 15

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

Battalion Landing Team 15

Post by KG Erwin »

For my USMC long campaigns, I've settled on the composition of my core force. BLT 15 is the 1st Battalion 5th Marines (reinforced). The additions include Company A 1st Tank Battalion (15 M2A4s), a section of 1st Special Weapons Battalion (two 75mm M3 GMCs), and a section of two .50 cal M2HB AAMGs, to provide air cover for battalion HQ. There are engineer and recon sections attached to each of my three D-series rifle companies. In purchase points (with true troop cost ON), the total is 2105. This is a good combined arms force, but it is by no means an overwhelming one. The men are well-trained, but the vast majority of them are new recruits who have never seen combat prior to August 1942.

This is the force I will carry from Guadalcanal through to the end of the war in 1945, with periodic upgrades as points become available along the way.
DROregon

RE: Battalion Landing Team 15

Post by DROregon »

I tried to replicate, but my purchase points differed from 2105. I haven't played much Marines v Japan. I though I'd give it a go.
Can you confirm again your purchases? I use True Troop On with Country Training On.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Oops, I forgot to add that I altered the USMC OOB somewhat. I added an extra 60mm mortar to the 1942 rifle company, making it three rather than two. I also created a new formation called Weps MG Section, with a 30 cal HMG and a 30 cal MMG. Three of these are also part of the 1942 combat team. I did these changes to make the upgrade process a bit simpler. Finally, the 1942 BAR squad has its weapons slots changed. Slot number 3 is now BARx2 (50 rounds). Slot number 4 is now Reising SMG (40 rounds).

These changes resulted in another new formation called 1942 Combat Team. This is a Company HQ, 3 60mm mortars, 3 rifle companies, 3 Weps MG sections, an engineer section and a recon squad (3 4-man sections). This allows me to deploy a mortar and 2 MGs with each rifle platoon.

This arrangement isn't 100% historically accurate, but it suits my purposes.

If you want to start a USMC campaign, make sure you use Low-Carnage settings, as this adds more accuracy to gameplay IMHO, especially the increase of INF toughness to 150%. With the Japanese being reluctant to surrender anyway, this forces the USMC player to maximize their firepower against them. This aspect, to me, is highly realistic, as while it decreases the number of casualties, the overall violence level is enhanced.

I have seen a few of the real life stats on the number of rounds expended to kill each Japanese soldier, and it is incredible.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

One of the strangest things about SPWaW is when enemy units retreat INTO your defending unit's hex. Subsequently you must retreat out of it, if you can, or engage in hand-to-hand combat (using ALT-M). Sometimes I can do neither, and the Japanese wipe out my Marines. This is a maddening experience, and of course it makes me hate the Japanese in this game even more. Damn, they are tough opponents! Their esprit and fanaticism easily matches the USMC, which makes the Pacific Theater a singularly brutal fight.

SO, when the Japanese close in for a banzai assault, you've GOT to kill them all with every weapon at your disposal.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”