OT - So there I was...and look

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wdolson

RE: OT - So there I was...and look

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think any airplane older than the people flying it can be considered "vintage". [:D]

Bill
ORIGINAL: wegman58
That covers a LOT of the US inventory - I think some B-52s have had three generations of pilots and the plane is old enough we could get four generations if they are all bomber pilots. P-3 and C-130 date back to the 1960s. F-15, F-16, B-1 are all old. And the Tornado in Europe.

Yup. A lot of the US inventory is fairly elderly. I think the youngest B-52 might be older than most of the people serving in the Air Force. The only ones older might be a few flag rank.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

There might be a B-52 older than the ages of the entire crew added together. [:'(] When are we going to bring back the P-51?

reg113

Post by reg113 »

Since the youngest B-52 was made in 1961, 54 years ago, and has a crew of 5, I don't think the Gorn is correct but is kinda humorous. [:D]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

We had a former EP-3A in one of my Reserve squadrons , and airplane with a lot of history. It was one of the 1st P-3A's in the Navy , a Cuban Missile crisis veteran ( whenever they show stock footage of a P-3 overflying a Russian freighter, and the P-3 is painted Black and white it's usually her). She was converted to a EP-3A "BatRack" and given to the CIA to overfly the PRC. When we got her , "Miss Piggy" had been stripped and was used as a "Hack" for training and "Bouncing". Whenever we used her for a logistics run , there was always some wet behind the ears ensign catching a ride aboard. I took a perverse pride in suggesting that they take a look at the acceptance plate. More than one blanched when her saw the date was early 1962. [:D]

Attachments
PIGGY!.jpg
PIGGY!.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 64 times
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

And another...In her CIA day's.

Attachments
PIGGY!!.jpg
PIGGY!!.jpg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 64 times
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

For the P-3
She was converted to a EP-3A "BatRack" and given to the CIA to overfly the POC.

POC???
Bill Goin
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

For the P-3
She was converted to a EP-3A "BatRack" and given to the CIA to overfly the POC.

POC???

Sorry , a typo I didn't catch. PRC. Formerly known as "Red" China.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

When I was at field training at Vandenberg AFB, it seemed every day I saw P-3s coming and going.  None of them had tail codes, which made me wonder if they were EP-3s.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I was walking into work one morning and heard a low drone. It got louder pretty quick. I looked up and a B-17(G I think) flew over the parking lot. Turns out an airshow was coming to town. Later that day I saw a couple of P-51's and a lone P-38 fly over. Before Peace AFB was converted to a comercial airport you could sit on the sit of Route 101, I think, in New Hampshire and watch the B-52's take off or land. Was very cool. That was the last thing I did with one of my uncle's before he died....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

When I was at field training at Vandenberg AFB, it seemed every day I saw P-3s coming and going.  None of them had tail codes, which made me wonder if they were EP-3s.
EP-3's Have a large chin "Pillow" , which contains the RADAR, extra pods faired into the fuselage ("Canoes") wing tip Pods and usually have the "MAD" boom truncated. It looks like the tail "stinger" has been loped off. It's not unusual for P-3's to be missing USAF style "tail codes", (in the USN the two letter codes denote squadron , not base like in the USAF , with a few exceptions). But even EP-3's have "buzz numbers" on the aft section. In the case of "Special projects" aircraft , these frequently change. You might have seen some of the NP-3's out of Pt. Mugu. These are range calibration aircraft , often with "Billboard" attachments to the vertical stabilizer . Not "spy" aircraft per say.
blueatoll

Post by blueatoll »

On December 7th, 1991 I was living in Denton, TX. I was working in my backyard and heard a loud aircraft engine buzzing. I looked up and flying at about 500' saw in the course of 15 minutes:

2 AT-6 Texans
1 P-40 in Flying Tiger motif
1 Corsair
1 P-47
2 P-51s
1 TBD Avenger (sorry couldn't make out the model)
1 B-25
and then to my wondrous eyes did appear - the Texas Raider - Queen of the skies...

50th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor air show out of DFW...Still get chills...
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The Avenger was probably a TBM-3, though virtually nobody is going to be able to tell the model number from the ground. The plane didn't change externally much over it's production run. The -1 and -1C had differences in armament. The -1 was the only version with a gun in the cowling. The -3 changed the cowling ring and some models had a different shape to the lower rear gunner's position. A lot of TBM-3s were saved because they were used for fire bombers.

My gateway drug for wargaming was model building. Few things focuses you on the subtle differences between versions of a plane than building it in miniature.

Talking warbird stories, when I was at Boeing, the last building I worked in was across the street from Boeing Field and the window in our lab looked out at the main runway. The Flight Test Center was across the street, so we saw airliners in all the livery of all the airlines of the world. When they were having an airshow, the aircraft would come in the day before and I usually didn't get much work done. The Blue Angels always did Sea Fair and would practice for a week before hand. The building would shake every time they took off with those afterburners.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

As a boy growing up in Oslo, Norway right after WW2 my father (he was an old sailor) often took me to the port on the back of his bicycle.
At one time it was announced in the papers that a banana freighter was incoming. Fruit was rationed (as was a lot of other stuff)
so this was a great occasion to gather up bananas spilled on the piers during the unloading - this was done with large nets.
They were all green and we later laid them out in our glass-enclosed (sun-hot) veranda to have them ripe.

Anyway, at this occasion there was a "civil defense" exercise in the port with "wounded" markers laid out all around the Place. Quite exciting
for a five year old. Even more exiting, however, were two Spitfires diving and climbing, again and again, "bombing" the port. These were Spitfires
that returned from England after the war where they had been flown by the two Norwegian Spitfire squadrons there. One of the Norwegian wing
commanders later became my boss (director of Operations) in a Norwegian airline I worked in.

Then, a year or two later, I was playing in the sand in the garden behind our house as a three-finger formation of De Havilland Vampires flew over,
probably at 3-4000 feet. That vision is still quite clear in my mind. I soon found out what sort of planes they were.....[:)]

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”