A comprehensive guide for best use of weapons ?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

MirabelleBenou

A comprehensive guide for best use of weapons ?

Post by MirabelleBenou »

Hello there !

I have read books about tactics & strategy and the weapons descriptions from CV60 and others really help to understand the use for some weapons, but do you know if it exist a some sort of guide which list main weapons (mainly for land attack) and their best targets ?

For example, when you have LGB & Walleyes, which one should you prefer to use to destroy a plane shelter ?

I tend to use the weapon with best range in order to destroy AA defense, but it may not be the best choise every time.

Feel free to give advices on how you choose your loadouts :)

Thanks,
Have a nice day.
Pergite!

RE: A comprehensive guide for best use of weapons ?

Post by Pergite! »

The "problem" [;)] is that Command covers weapons, sensors and systems from 1945 and onward. Doing a comprehensive guide for this, even just for weapons would be a massive undertaking.
My suggestion is that you read up on each load-out in the in game data screen and see what kind of target (valid target) they are suited for. All the information is there for you in the game.

Walleye is a TV(EO) guided bomb while the LGB is a laser guided bomb. The EO guidance is fire-and-forget, while the laser needs a steady laze on target to hit. Both are weather dependent. Its however the warhead size and charge that brings the hurt to the target and its often that which tells you what is suitable for a plane shelter for example. Always match the best weapons for the most difficult targets, which lets you decrease the risk to your aircraft and ensure survivability.

Range and/or height advantage against AD is always favourable.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

I don't necessarily think there ought to be a comprehensive "best" use of weapons manual. Many things go into the use of weapons. Everything from the target type, to the delivery platform, to the defenses, to the cost and availability of the weapon influence the employment and effectiveness of a weapon. Part the fun of playing games like Command, is experimenting and drawing your own conclusions about what you think the "best" use of weapons might be. Often there's trade offs.

For example:

Do I use a standoff weapon like a JSOW or a direct attack sort of weapon like a JDAM? On an aircraft with a higher RCS, maybe I'd prefer to use a JSOW because I won't have to penetrate defenses. The down side is that I can't carry as many of them, so I'll need a bigger strike package, which draws away from other things I want to be doing (DCA? other strike missions? etc.) On an aircraft with a lower RCS, maybe I'd prefer a JDAM on the same target because I can carry more of them, use fewer aircraft and keep other missions covered more easily.

Part of why there's so many different munitions in almost every nation's arsenal is that there isn't really a single solution for all problems. Lots of weapons might be able to do a given job, which one is the "best" depends on a lot of stuff.
magi

Post by magi »

I've been trying to do a lot of homework on this subject also… I've been going online etc. etc.… It would be nice to see a descriptive list of different munitions… I have been trying to learn all of theiralphabetic prefixes…and understand their directors and guidance systems…

Return to “The War Room”