Bob Flemin' and Orm. A World...AARseIV

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

RE: Bob Flemin' and Orm. A World...AARseIV

Post by warspite1 »

Sep/Oct 1939
Impulse: 2

The Soviets rebase aircraft to the Caspian Sea and a Catalina arrives in Hawaii.

The French HQ's take the decision to reorganise some units in case.

The impulse ends and its a 2 - the weather is Fine everywhere. The weather god was clearly not Chinese....[:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

A French Ground Strike Mission is the best Allied response to the threat of a France First strategy by Germany, or for most any possibility of German action on the Western Front in 1939. However the best target is the Rundstedt HQ - a success there and the Germans lose 4 re-org points they will most likely use on their high quality Reserve units.

I managed that once and the German player never recovered, referring to it throughout the game as the reason he was losing.

For the CW to get the Pilots via Internment, they have to rebase the planes into a neutral country. If the planes are in Eastern Poland when the Soviets Occupy it, they would go into the Reserve Pool with any other Polish units on the Soviet side of the demarcation line. They would then enter the CW Force Pool when the Soviets go to war with Germany, including the Pilots I believe.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

However a Ground Strike on the "triangle" hex where the Belgian, Dutch, and German borders meet can also have certain tactical advantages, particularly if the Germans put 2 corps there and they both get dis-organized, though this is more true in a high-stakes German move of attacking Belgium while The Netherlands is neutral.

I have always wanted to try a Ground Strike on German units on the Danish border for an aggressive style of CW play.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

A French Ground Strike Mission is the best Allied response to the threat of a France First strategy by Germany, or for most any possibility of German action on the Western Front in 1939. However the best target is the Rundstedt HQ - a success there and the Germans lose 4 re-org points they will most likely use on their high quality Reserve units.

I managed that once and the German player never recovered, referring to it throughout the game as the reason he was losing.

For the CW to get the Pilots via Internment, they have to rebase the planes into a neutral country. If the planes are in Eastern Poland when the Soviets Occupy it, they would go into the Reserve Pool with any other Polish units on the Soviet side of the demarcation line. They would then enter the CW Force Pool when the Soviets go to war with Germany, including the Pilots I believe.
warspite1

Only problem was that Orm cleverly put him in Forest and on his own. I have no confidence in the dice at the moment so I thought if I am going to use the precious bombers both air forces would need to play the percentages and try stacks in the clear and with 2 units in each. Sadly the French beat the odds in the wrong way.....

I have just checked and there is an internment pool with both Polish aircraft sitting in it.

Attachments
aaaa.jpg
aaaa.jpg (172.59 KiB) Viewed 94 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Scrap that I read the rule wrongly

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Scrap that I read the rule wrongly.

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
I have just checked and there is an internment pool with both Polish aircraft sitting in it. So I assume all is as it should be in that regard [:)].
Trouble is that there are two ways to intern Polish pilots.

1) USSR occupy eastern Poland and that interns all the Polish units in Eastern Poland. They are moved from the map to the internment pool. When Germany and the USSR are at war CW can add the interned Polish units to the CW force pool. CW will then receive the pilots (if any of the Polish aircraft was interned).

2) A minor country aircraft unit can rebase into a neutral minor country. An aircraft unit that does that is destroyed but the pilots survives and is added to the reserve pool.

Personally I usually try to intern the Polish pilots the second way. This because I rather have the pilots at once and the aircraft is rubbish by then anyway. The downside is that USSR must usually delay occupying Eastern Poland one impulse if the aircraft are to be rebased to a neutral country.

Edit: Nice pictures you found. [:)]

Edit2: The nice aircraft got scrapped. [:(][;)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm
I have just checked and there is an internment pool with both Polish aircraft sitting in it. So I assume all is as it should be in that regard [:)].
Trouble is that there are two ways to intern Polish pilots.

1) USSR occupy eastern Poland and that interns all the Polish units in Eastern Poland. They are moved from the map to the internment pool. When Germany and the USSR are at war CW can add the interned Polish units to the CW force pool. CW will then receive the pilots (if any of the Polish aircraft was interned).
warspite1

Great..... [8|]

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

It is a standard to put the HQ for the Western Front in the woods because of the risk of the Ground Strike. Steve hooked me up here with an even better idea - put it in the woods to the north where the French bomber would have to fly at extended range to hit it. I also put the AA gun with it to lower the odds of a hit. Even though you have a 10% less chance of success Ground Striking in the woods, a success on the HQ effectively flips five units, not one, and that would be a severe blow to whatever plans the Germans have for the first turn. This could also keep them from using an Offensive Chit on the first turn perhaps as well. So it's a risk/reward decision classic to World in Flames; hitting the ti-border hex is also an excellent choice.

I almost always do a Port Strike on Kiel with the CW on the surprise impulse (historical, actually). But thanks to this AAR I think I will finally remember to try a Ground Strike on land units in Schleswig-Holstein next time instead.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Why is the Harrow air transport disorganized?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Sep/Oct 1939
Impulse: 3

Germany declares war on Netherlands.

This cause no reaction in US since most seemed to think that Germany had occupied Netherlands years ago.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Why is the Harrow air transport disorganized?
warspite1

I wanted to see what air reorganisation was all about. Bit of a mistake - but at least I know now.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sep/Oct 1939

This cause no reaction in US since most seemed to think that Germany had occupied Netherlands years ago.
warspite1

INF in Amsterdam
MIL in Palembang
4 CP, De Ruyter and a TRS set-up in Paramaribo
4 CP in Batavia
Sumatra, Tromp and Java + 2 CP in Rotterdam

Orm

Post by Orm »

Sep/Oct 1939

warspite1

INF in Amsterdam
MIL in Palembang
4 CP in Batavia

I placed the submarine in Rotterdam as well. (Netherlands needed one more unit in their home country anyway)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sep/Oct 1939

warspite1

INF in Amsterdam
MIL in Palembang
4 CP in Batavia

I placed the submarine in Rotterdam as well. (Netherlands needed one more unit in their home country anyway)
warspite1

Can you make it De Ruyter then please - I don't want to run the risk of Germany having more subs than necessary.

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

INF in Amsterdam
MIL in Palembang
4 CP in Batavia

warspite1

Can you make it De Ruyter then please - I don't want to run the risk of Germany having more subs than necessary.
I can if you are sure. Only way that Germany can capture, or destroy, the sub in Rotterdam is to invade on that hex. The ZOC from the Amsterdam defender stop the German troops from reaching Rotterdam. And since Rotterdam is a major port the submarine is safe from port strikes there.

In order to invade Rotterdam Germany have to pass through Home Fleet so it comes down to if you have faith in your fleet or not. [;)][:D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

I can if you are sure. Only way that Germany can capture, or destroy, the sub in Rotterdam is to invade on that hex. The ZOC from the Amsterdam defender stop the German troops from reaching Rotterdam. And since Rotterdam is a major port the submarine is safe from port strikes there.

In order to invade Rotterdam Germany have to pass through Home Fleet so it comes down to if you have faith in your fleet or not. [;)][:D]

warspite1

Ah yes. Okay then I guess it matters not [:)]

Orm

Post by Orm »

Germany port strike Rotterdam. The submarines, unfortunately, are safe in their underground bunkers. The surprise roll was a 4 so the result is not as good as I had hoped but it is better than I feared. [:D]

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #3 (Axis) - Port Attack
Attachments
015.jpg
015.jpg (352.28 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Germany targets the convoy points.

Which ship will get the abort result?

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #3 (Axis) - Port Attack
Attachments
016.jpg
016.jpg (289.88 KiB) Viewed 94 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Java

Return to “After Action Report”