Best use of helos and ADs

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

moet

Best use of helos and ADs

Post by moet »

Hi.
In my last game, I tried to find the best use of helos and air defenses (AD). I gave them "on call" or "screen" orders but did not really see a difference: some ADs were firing to enemy helos while others stayed quiet, and my helos were able on their own to flee from enemy or get resupplied close to their HQ, but never moved forward for an attack.
How can we get the best AI behavior from those units?
cbelva

RE: Best use of helos and ADs

Post by cbelva »

I set my AD on hold and found that they do a good job of engaging. I don't have a problem with helos. They fly to where I tell them to fly. I try to sat them up in an area where they have good fields of fire, but far enough back to be safe. If there are enemy AD on the map, I try to hold them back until they are suppressed or destroyed.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
moet

Post by moet »

Thanks. Do you mean you set your helos on "hold" too?
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Not necessarily. Letting any unit sit for a long time can invite disaster. I usually place my helos on screen so that they can get out of dodge if they start getting targeted.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I set up triangular way-point routes for my helos so these units are always moving and plot the third way-point to be near HQ's for refit and resupply.

I never put helos into a "hold" pattern since this will invite enemy AD assets to focus on them.

I also try to suppress / destroy enemy AD before moving my copters to the front lines.
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: mwest

I set up triangular way-point routes for my helos so these units are always moving and plot the third way-point to be near HQ's for refit and resupply.

I never put helos into a "hold" pattern since this will invite enemy AD assets to focus on them.

I do the same. The helos need to be on the move all the time. "Hold" doesn't make any sense, and as I suggested in another thread, it would be good to have specific orders for the copters. Like for example: recon movement, armed recon, attack, overwatch and such. Something to keep in mind with the purpose of possible implementation in some future expansions.
Lest we forget.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: katukov

ORIGINAL: mwest

I do the same. The helos need to be on the move all the time. "Hold" doesn't make any sense, and as I suggested in another thread, it would be good to have specific orders for the copters. Like for example: recon movement, armed recon, attack, overwatch and such. Something to keep in mind with the purpose of possible implementation in some future expansions.

Hi all,

I agree, helo-centric orders would be a terrific addition to this great game![&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Hi all,

I agree, helo-centric orders would be a terrific addition to this great game![&o]

Rob.

+1
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

+1

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Ardi

Post by Ardi »

For AD - usually place them on Screen, so they could move back if suddenly approached by the ground units. Also (mostly relevant to the NATO AD besides Gepard) try to position them so they won't be firing at helos from their max distance, since that way they only spot themselves, but do not deal much damage. Mostly I try to lure helos closer, so the AD fire will be more effective. Soviet AD is, in my opinion, better in that regard (especially SA-11 and SA-19), and I try to place them on the highround in my rear, so they'll have bigger area of fire.

As for Helos - it seems that they don't suffer from arty fire that much, so if it is long range ATGM Helos, I try to put them on Screen on the good firing highground position to destroy enemy armor. As for Helos with unguided missiles, I send them close to the enemy, so they can fire their ammo with most effectivenes until they are empty. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes turns to be costly. But both of methods are used if opponent don't have heavy AD, in this case i firstly try to locate AD with recon, or 1 Helo section, then to suppress or destroy it with arty. Also in the latter case I prefer to send Helos to the enmy rear more often.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Ardi

For AD - usually place them on Screen, so they could move back if suddenly approached by the ground units.

Gents: [8D]

I always keep my AD moving, especially units equipped with active radar. Once these units stop, they die quickly from enemy arty. In my experience, the main threat to AD is enemy arty and air units - not ground units.

AD placement for me is immediately behind the "front lines" with way points plotted along the road network. I try to place AD way points far enough apart so I only need to keep re-positioning the last one. This saves a command and also keeps the unit alive longer by being in constant movement.
Regards, - Mike

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”