GD1938 Game 18 AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 Game 18 AAR

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Great Patriotic War (Excerpts from the journal of J. Stalin)
The Finns seem delighted to join the Union. They seem to recognize this is not Tsarist Russia. The death of
Mannerheim surely made a difference. Mortality has an effect on History, and we are all mortal.

In Persia we have not yet met the enemy. The Germans are cooperating. We have never seen the frontier so lightly
garrisoned. The Nazis say this is evidence they intend no harm in the East. It is almost disrespectful of the Red
Army. Despite assurances I have directed engineers to build defenses.

This is a very peaceful Hitler, far from what we expected.

Attachments
G18T05StalinAtMap.jpg
G18T05StalinAtMap.jpg (69.92 KiB) Viewed 89 times
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: falco

Do you by any chance mean 'Banzai!?' A bonsai is a small Japanese potted plant.....[;)]

Ooops...too much saki! [8|]
JRR
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Chinese fervor for the fight is not reduced by Japanese military might, bring it on tojo.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (257.99 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

The armed forces of Nippon have bravely counter-attacked the Chinese offensive, after a massive air attack and artillery support. It seems that their are just too many Chinese conscripts. But we will bravely continue the fight against this counter-insurgency!

(by the way...ironduke...you are a formidable opponent...much better than the ai I have been learning agaist...Ouch!)
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The USSR sent units into Finland to greet the people and inspire confidence in their new comrades.

In Persia Red Army troops advanced hoping to gain resources. The Persians have German advisors, but they seem to be
advising restraint, stressing that we Soviets are not seeking dominion, but cooperation.

In central Europe the arrogant Hungarians would not give in to the reasonable requests of Soviet diplomats, and the
Red Army quickly isolated Budapest, and took the rest of the country. Hungary is still unaware of the political realities
but they will learn.

Attachments
Nevsky.jpg
Nevsky.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 89 times
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

better than the ai

Praise indeed[:D]
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

China just fails to take Shanghai it hangs on by the tips of its tank treads.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Both Hitler and I are going to appear like we are out to conquer the world, and we may be, but much of it is driven
by fear of each other's nation. We want to pick up as much territory, production, and manpower as possible. We expect
the Germans to become embroiled with the British and French, and we want to make hay while the sun shines. Hitler
seems to be behind schedule.

Attachments
TankAndInf.jpg
TankAndInf.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 89 times
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The map of Europe is in flux, and the USSR is trying to keep on the edge of all the changes. Great Britain and France
are anxious for Red Army support against the Germans and Italians. Great Britain partitioned Persia with us, while at
the same time sending advisors to Sweden to defend against out columns. French advisors are adding the Czechs against
the Germans, and aiding the Romanians against us. The Germans are aiding the Hungarians against us at Budapest, while
we scrupulously avoid encroaching on the small German garrisons in Poland. All of us seem to positioning ourselves
for a big, future war, while direct conflicts between major powers are on hold.

I think the Germans are serious about the war with France, and Great Britain, but it is early and they may not have
the strength to blast through allied defenses. Curious situation.

Attachments
ReviewingStand.jpg
ReviewingStand.jpg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 89 times
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Battles rage around Shanghai the Japanese fight like fiends, but the Chinese Dragon will prevail.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Brave Japanese pilots lead a massive air attack against some of the 750 Chinese Tanks that are operating around the liberated city of Shanghai (38 light tanks x 20 per)! In the north, a combined air, artillery and ground attack against Kwesui is repulsed by the bandits who control the city. With oil running low, Japan must ask her Infantry to hold the field against the enemy horde.
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

We attacked Bratislava and took it. The Germans were bringing too much materiel to finish off the Czechs, and the
larger division on our border worried us. We made peace with Germany. We were not able to do so with Germany's ally,
Italy, which has advisory teams in Bulgaria fighting the Red Army. The Bulgarians are strong in Sofia, somewhat less
so in Varna. We do not want war with Germany or Italy, but the Italians have no business in Bulgaria. We feel the
capitalist West may be attempting to introduce strife between the Axis and our Soviets. They would like nothing
better than to watch us make war on each other. I, Stalin, have been doing business with Hitler for months.

In Scandinavia we press on the Swedes, and now the Norwegians. We took Narvik. Hungary fell when we captured Budapest.
I am sure the world thinks a Red Menace is spreading itself across Europe, but we are only trying to get on the
same step as the other powers. In any case we will slow down now as the easy targets are being gobbled up by all
the other nations. The Soviet Union is the guardian of the future, and it would be a great crime to fail to take all
steps to defend her.

Attachments
StalinWhiteUniform.jpg
StalinWhiteUniform.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 89 times
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Compulsory drug testing for Japanese soldiers, in the light of the Chinese failed assault on Shanghai, it has become obvious that the Japanese battle performance must be enhanced by drugs,
Japanese prisoners (And there weren't many of those) have been thoroughly searched for drugs, because whatever their taking the Chinese want some. Perhaps they slip it in the Saki.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Shanghai hangs on by a thread. Massive air attacks vs Chinese armor to slow down the inevitable. In the north, Japanese infantry pulls back from Kweisui in the face of a Chinese cavalry charge out of the city gates and up the only highway to the city! A new respect for Chia's powerful armed forces is taking hold.

As a new player to GD38 I make a couple observations (tempered by the fact that I have been given a chance to see the other side of the coin in a different game playing as China).
1. Probably for play balance purposes, but Chinese Armor is too strong, especially as the Japs start with almost no anti-tank capability, and China can ramp up faster than Japan can make and distribute it.
2. Japanese Infantry seems weak vs the Chinese conscripts. How would they take on UK/French forces?
3. As I've noticed by looking back over several AAR's, Japans best option is to sue for peace with China to begin the game.
4. For a newbie like myself, due to the FOW option I am unable to see and learn from my opponents attacks how best to do so. Didn't the Red Army learn encirclement from the Axis?

HOWEVER, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ATG AND THIS MOD IS FUN, FUN, FUN!!! (I don't mind taking a butt whoppin') [:D]
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Playing Japan and China has evolved a lot over the course of our games. Some thoughts -

1. Airpower and Japanese armor can play a big part in countering Chinese LT.
2. Be sure you spend to improve the efficiency, "better training", and 'superior doctrines". The Japanese troops do just fine, but need seasoning.
3. Maybe, but the Chinese can be very happy with peace too. It is not necessarily zero-sum, but one has to wonder when they jump at the chance.
4. We can't give up fog of war, but be sure you look carefully at the "history" of the interturn, and "switch view" on your attacks.

You are right about the quality, and fun of this game and mod!

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Every day I am reminded of how backward our country still is. If we could take three years to train our recruits
it might be different. We do not have that base of educated, technical people to draw upon. Our boys do not have radios,
automobiles, and weapons, they do have agricultural experience.

As our troops move through Sweden and Norway they see richer lands. We have done pretty well against the smaller nations
we have warred with, but against the Germans, or French/British, we would be in trouble. We have so far to go, and everything
is so expensive. I will try and do the best with what I have.

Audacity.

Attachments
Agriculture.jpg
Agriculture.jpg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 89 times
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Playing Japan and China has evolved a lot over the course of our games. Some thoughts -

1. Airpower and Japanese armor can play a big part in countering Chinese LT.
2. Be sure you spend to improve the efficiency, "better training", and 'superior doctrines". The Japanese troops do just fine, but need seasoning.
3. Maybe, but the Chinese can be very happy with peace too. It is not necessarily zero-sum, but one has to wonder when they jump at the chance.
4. We can't give up fog of war, but be sure you look carefully at the "history" of the interturn, and "switch view" on your attacks.

You are right about the quality, and fun of this game and mod!

Chuck

Thanks for the tips! I will put them to good use right away. I'm not sure I understand how to "switch view" on my attacks, though?
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

On your next battle screen, look in the upper left corner for "Switch view" and "Details" buttons.

The view you switch to gives you the raw numbers including the enemies drop in morale, readiness, entrenchment, and any change in experience. These are gold!

Details is just that, and pretty much in depth.

Chuck
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Checked out an AI game I had going. Found the "Switch view" and "Details" buttons. Good thing Japanese intelligence is on the job. [8|]
JRR
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Ok I am France Britain as I recall, who did my turn?
Favoritism is alive and well here.

Return to “After Action Reports”