Question

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Leandros

Question

Post by Leandros »

Hi, everybody I am considering buying the WITP AE. I have a question on the WITP editor: Can a new scenario be made in the editor to start from any
given date (within the space of the war) with all equipment and units added on by the editor?

Regds

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Big B

RE: Question

Post by Big B »

Yes - except no scenario can start before Dec 7 1941
fodder

Post by fodder »

Ah, not to be a ..., but dosen't DALI's "War In The West 1940", start on Apr 8th 1940?
Big B

Post by Big B »

I never played it, but the Game won't run a scenario that starts prior to 1941, you can quickly test it yourself.[;)]

B

ORIGINAL: fodder

Ah, not to be a ..., but dosen't DALI's "War In The West 1940", start on Apr 8th 1940?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Back to the original question: Yes, the editor is very flexible outside of the date limits. The game has specs for each aircraft type, each ship class, and various land unit devices/squads. You are free to create new ones or change what's already there. Units and made from these pieces/templates.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Back to the original question: Yes, the editor is very flexible outside of the date limits. The game has specs for each aircraft type, each ship class, and various land unit devices/squads. You are free to create new ones or change what's already there. Units and made from these pieces/templates.

Bill

Thank you, guys - that is what I hoped for - and I was not intending to start Before Dec. 7....[;)]

But, to deliberate a little on my first question - I can, so to speak, start the Editor with blank papers?

Fred
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I don't think anyone has ever started with nothing in the editor. Even the AE team started out modifying the original game data (though the changes were pretty significant by the time we were done). I suppose you could wipe all the tables and start over again, but I think it would probably be best to modify what you want rather than completely start over. There is a tremendous amount of data in there, probably more than has ever been in any wargame.

BTW, there is also a console program (DOS type interface) that extracts the database tables to Excel CSV files and then rebuilds the scenario files again when you're done. Working with Excel is easier for some tasks. For example I was a programmer, but I helped with some data entry of air units. It was quicker to enter them via Excel than go through the editor.

There are also some provided tools that help verify the data entered. It flags errors like pilots assigned to more than one squadron, or the wrong type of commander assigned to a unit.

Bill
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Thank you, wdolson! It might be easier if I give some background on my reason for wanting to acquire the WITP game.
I'm working on a book Project - it's working title is "Saving MacArthur" - in other words - alternate history.
My intention was to use it as a sort of graphic display of the story as it is getting quite intricate with
all the differences from the RL. Otherwise I need to constantly update various lists to keep track on them.
I imagine I would have to play both sides to keep control of the development. I suppose this is possible?

To give a simple example: If I start the game on January 23rd 1942 the Japanese have taken Menado, Celebes. In
my story (it is not important why) they have not. They have also had some losses. So, I have to correct this and
many other details. As I understand it this should be possible.

Am I too optimistic on this?

Fred

P.S.: I cannot post links here yet but I have outlined the basics of the book on my website: fredleandercom
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

In a previous book of mine about Operation Sealion I used the Silent Hunter game (with Ubisoft's permission) to make some illustrations and scenarios for it.
For this book I would do the same with the Pacific version - Silent Hunter 4. As I don't know anything about the Graphics of WITP I'm not sure what I can use
but I have contacted Matrix on it.

Fred

Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Leandros
But, to deliberate a little on my first question - I can, so to speak, start the Editor with blank papers?
Fred
Yes Sir, you can.

Sometimes, thing's are a bit obscure, but they can be done without undue effort. It takes some understanding about the editor works, but it's easy once you get into it.

Babes people have been dealing with the editor for several years. We know its ins-and-outs and have been instrumental in giving it "special" features and attributes.

If you would like to know more, please send a PM. You will likely be overwhelmed by the info available.

Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Thank you, Symon - I PM'ed you (hope it Went through).

Fred
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Playing both sides is possible too. Select "Head to Head" as the game type when you start. There are other options like play by e-mail, Allied AI, Japanese AI, etc. Head to Head is mostly used by scenario designers to test their work, but it will probably be ideal for what you want to do.

The editor also allows you to leave units in the database, but disable them so they don't show up in the game and you can make the map smaller than the full map. If you are just working with one small area, I would suggest doing this, it will make a lot of things easier.

Bill
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Playing both sides is possible too. Select "Head to Head" as the game type when you start. There are other options like play by e-mail, Allied AI, Japanese AI, etc. Head to Head is mostly used by scenario designers to test their work, but it will probably be ideal for what you want to do.

The editor also allows you to leave units in the database, but disable them so they don't show up in the game and you can make the map smaller than the full map. If you are just working with one small area, I would suggest doing this, it will make a lot of things easier.

Bill

Thank you, Bill - it's starting to look up now.....[:)]

Fred
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Just a small caveat.

The AE map is not a standard Mercator projection.  It is tilted.  This may be, or maybe not, a relevant issue if the point of the exercise is to take screen shots to better illustrate the "frontline".

Alfred
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Just a small caveat.

The AE map is not a standard Mercator projection.  It is tilted.  This may be, or maybe not, a relevant issue if the point of the exercise is to
take screen shots to better illustrate the "frontline".

Alfred

Thank you, Alfred - my primary wish is to use the game to keep track (for my own benefit) of units and resources as "the story" develops. Secondary, as an
"overview". As such I do not think it important what the projection is.

Fred

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”