AllenK vs Mayhemizer AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

AllenK

RE: AllenK vs Mayhemizer AAR

Post by AllenK »

Hi CanInf & Orm,

Thank you for your interest and comments. The board is deliciously full of potential and opportunity at the moment. Oh for a few more resources and higher action limits.
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

CW tries to sink Kriegsmarine ships in North Sea. Weather is bad in and there is no combat (Allied 9, Axis 10)

France bombs Vienna with no results (roll 4)

USSR rails field artillery west from Siberia.

Communist Chinese send militia close to Taiyuan. Nationalist Chinese moves little closer to Japanese in Central China.

CW re-bases Harrow to Denmark. USSR re-bases 4 bombers close to Leningrad. France reorganizes bomber.

Western front after Allied impulse 3.

Attachments
Western fr..mpulse 3.jpg
Western fr..mpulse 3.jpg (666.06 KiB) Viewed 172 times
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

N/D 1939 Axis 5

It looks like it's going to be a long cold winter.

No DoW

Germany aligns Bulgaria.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (123.76 KiB) Viewed 172 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The US barely raised an eyebrow over Bulgaria's alignment (4).

All 3 Axis go for Combined.

The Italians move X Inf from the Red Sea to Bardia.

German Amph and Trans relocate from Konigsberg to Kiel using the cover of the Blizzards. The French interception attempt in the Baltic fails (5 rolled).

A Jap Trans sails to the China Sea and loads an Art and Eng.

Two areas are available for naval combat.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (356.09 KiB) Viewed 172 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The Germans decline the North Sea.

The CL Emden initiates combat in the Baltic but neither side can locate the other (Axis 9, Allies 3).

Konigsberg Militia rail to Aarhus in Denmark.

The Japanese stiffen up North China

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (639.88 KiB) Viewed 172 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

A couple of German units move into Denmark. 2 HQ's and an Inf begin the move west.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 172 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The Italians complete their adjustment of forces on the French border.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (532.46 KiB) Viewed 172 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The Luftwaffe rebases west.

No re-orgs and the Phoney War continues.
Mayhemizer_slith

N/D 1939 Allied 8

No DoW.

CW, France, USSR combined, China land and US pass.

NAVAL
France: 2 old battle ships sails to Eastern Mediterranean Sea and pick up 2 INF div from Syria. Forgot to do that last impulse with cruisers.

CW sends CP and Trans with HQ Gort to North Sea. Kriegsmarine tries to stop Gort, but with roll 9 Royal Marine takes Gort to France. CW shows they will stand next to France against powerful enemy. When Gort lands to France, he asks why Maginot Line was not built all the to the coast of Atlantic. If Germany flanked your line last time, you think they will not do that again? Maybe Corporal respects neutral countries, buahhahaa :)

Next another Trans with MOT 6-5 sails to North Sea, Germany rolls 10. Trans stays at North Sea in box 2 with fleet.

NAVAL COMBAT
Baltic Sea: Allied 1, Axis 3. Both sides are successful. No surprice points to use. Axis suffers 2D 3A (2 damaged + aborted and 1 aborted) and Allied suffers 2D 3A (1 damaged + aborted and 2 aborted). Yes, I'm an idiot. Plan was to take 2D to one ship to sink it but I forgot that during the battle... New seacrh rolls: Allied 4, Axis 3. Only Axis are successful with 2 surprise points. One aborted from Allied (result 2A, first roll 10). New search rolls Allied 5, Axis 6 and the fight is over. All 4 aborted Allied cruisers are destroyed as they were not able to flee from Baltic Sea.

This is the first time in my games when Allied are raiding Baltic Sea. I support house rule "No Baltic Sea raids during 1939".

Attachments
Navalcomb..lticsEa.jpg
Navalcomb..lticsEa.jpg (199.5 KiB) Viewed 172 times

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

No naval combat in North Sea when both sides roll 4.

China rails MIL to Wuhan. CW rails MIL to Plymouth. USSR rails CAV from Odessa to Murmansk.

Communist Chinese takes empty cities of Taiyuan from Japanese and Chengchow from Nationalist Chinese. Vladivostok is left empty when INF moves to Manchurian border. CW takes hex control in Denmark next to Frederikshavn and units returns Frederikshavn. France is setting line on Belgian border. CW debarks 6-5 MOT to France with Gort.

CW rebases NAV to Plymouth. USSR rebases 2 fighters from Rumanian border to north.

Gort reorganizes Trans in Calais.

With roll 10 turn continues. Weather roll 5. Weather report attached for impulse 11.

Attachments
Weatherimpulse11.jpg
Weatherimpulse11.jpg (114.67 KiB) Viewed 172 times

-Murphy's war law
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

This is the first time in my games when Allied are raiding Baltic Sea. I support house rule "No Baltic Sea raids during 1939".

Oh, now you support the house rule!

Seriously though, playing as the Axis, I'm not sure if it needs rules. Sure, the tactic is based upon knowing the French are likely to fall. However, there is a pretty straight forward counter, outlined by Warspite1. Don't start with the CP's at sea. Wait until after the surprise impulse is over (and possibly Copenhagen already taken) before deploying the CP's. I chose not to and I paid the consequence. With the Nav flying and different search rolls, it could have ended up differently.

The other thing is that it's 6 less cruisers to impale themselves and wear down the Italian navy without touching the RN. That looks pretty good from where I am sitting at the moment.
Mayhemizer_slith

ORIGINAL: AllenK

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

Oh, now you support the house rule!

Seriously though, playing as the Axis, I'm not sure if it needs rules. Sure, the tactic is based upon knowing the French are likely to fall. However, there is a pretty straight forward counter, outlined by Warspite1. Don't start with the CP's at sea. Wait until after the surprise impulse is over (and possibly Copenhagen already taken) before deploying the CP's. I chose not to and I paid the consequence. With the Nav flying and different search rolls, it could have ended up differently.

The other thing is that it's 6 less cruisers to impale themselves and wear down the Italian navy without touching the RN. That looks pretty good from where I am sitting at the moment.

:)

I have read about raiding Baltic Sea and I wanted to test it. After reading warspite1's and Orm's house rules they started to make sense.

1) 50% of all minor country land units must be placed in the home country (minimum 1) with the exceptions of Netherlands and Portugal if the attacking nation is Japan.
2) No raids in the Baltic Sea during '39 after that there are no restrictions on raiding the Baltic Sea.
3) CW may only fly one air mission against Germany on the surprise.

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

I fear for Netherlands. I was hoping for rain so Germany couldn't cross frozen lake. Also double turn worries me...

-Murphy's war law
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

N/D 1939 Axis 11

No DoW

Germany, Italy Combined; Japan Land.

No port attacks.

A Me-110 and Do-17 fly to the North Sea 2-box.

The Libya Mech loads onto a Trans and sails, appropriately, to Libya.

Two areas for naval combat.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (353.19 KiB) Viewed 170 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

In the North Sea, Gneisenau initiates combat.

Hurricanes from Dover scramble and rendezvous with Swordfish from Plymouth in the 0-box. The Harrows fly to the 2-box from Denmark.

It comes to naught with searches of 7 and 8.

In the Baltic rolls of 4 and 5 draw a similar blank.

Taking advantage of the Hurricanes being over the North Sea, Ju-88's pop over to London to deliver an egg to Winston. On a 9, 1 BP loss.

The Japanese Garr at Port Arthur rails to Kirin, Manchuria.

Northern China post Japanese moves

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (628.21 KiB) Viewed 170 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The Germans move more units west.

The Libya Mech moves towards the Egyptian border.

The Japs disembark artillery at Tsingtao and an Eng at Shanghai.

The Germans complete the air-rebases west.

The Italians send a Nav to Egypt and a Ftr to Scilly.

On an 8, the turn continues
Mayhemizer_slith

In Paris leaders of CW and France are having a meeting. They are talking about current situation in Europe. Everyone are surprised that Germany has not attacked any other countries, maybe this does crow to a global conflict. They decide that if Germany attacks anyone anymore or won't make peace with CW and France, leaders will convince US that Germany is the evil that must stop.

Meanwhile Joe in Moscow in thinking how to stop likely coming German attack. He decides to use foreign policy (Edit: in east, Japanese forces are closing Communist Chinese units) as an excuse to call reserves and prepare for war. USSR DECLARES WAR ON JAPAN! With roll 2 US loses 2 entry chits and both entry pools are empty. USSR calls out reserves setting most of them to Siberia.

Other Allied leaders are not happy. USSR player is out of control...

USSR, CW and France combined, China land, US pass.

NAVAL
USSR sends 2 submarines from Vladivostok to China Sea.
CW sends CV and 5 BB's from Gibraltar to Easter Mediterranean Sea. CW tries to break out with Trans from Calais. Axis roll 10 but Trans stays at North Sea in box 2 after loading London MIL on board.

Naval combats are possible in three sea areas.

Attachments
Navalcombat13.jpg
Navalcombat13.jpg (275.14 KiB) Viewed 170 times

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

China Sea search rolls: Allied 7 and Axis 4, no naval combat.
Baltic Sea search rolls (I did not fly Axis naval air support because there was no Allied planes, can be redone if you want otherwise): Allied 8 and Axis 8, no naval combat.

CW did not send any more planes to North Sea. Does Germany want to fly more planes to North Sea? And does submarine take part of the fun or stay in the bottom of the sea listening the echo of battle?

Attachments
Navalcomb..orthSea.jpg
Navalcomb..orthSea.jpg (567.45 KiB) Viewed 170 times

-Murphy's war law
Orm

Post by Orm »

Meanwhile Joe in Moscow in thinking how to stop likely coming German attack. He decides to use foreign policy as an excuse to call reserves and prepare for war. USSR DECLARES WAR ON JAPAN! With roll 2 US loses 2 entry chits and both entry pools are empty. USSR calls out reserves setting most of them to Siberia.
I so enjoy watching the heavyweights slug it out. And I have a perfect ringside seat. [:)]

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

No more planes to the North Sea thanks.

Return to “After Action Report”