Musashi

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mundy

Musashi

Post by Mundy »

Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft) posted that Musashi has been found.

Twitter - Musashi

I'll have to see if Combined Fleet is talking about this.
dr.hal

RE: Musashi

Post by dr.hal »

This is good news. Hopefully it can be explored but also respected as a grave site.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Other sunk warships from the war that have been explored have respected the status of the ship. Most were in water too deep to dive anyway. All that could be done was explore them with remote vehicles. The body of water where the Musashi was sunk was shallow compared to the Pacific, but I suspect she's in pretty deep water from a diving aspect.

An article about the discovery:
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/446017/scitech/science/look-explorers-find-most-famous-japanese-wwii-battleship-off-romblon-s-sibuyan-island

It says the depth is 1 KM, which is around 3000 ft.

The first picture released:
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001977377

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
paulkenny

Post by paulkenny »

the following article has another picture-of the anchor
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Allen's site has a better collection.

Mushashi Wreck

Combined Fleet has a good discussion going, too.

Combined Fleet
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Interesting that the main gun turret(s) came off, but she appears upright. I know there is a lot of contortion as a ship sinks. I did not realize it could be that severe.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

It would cool if someone found the Yamashiro and the Fuso. I'm guessing about the same depth as the Musashi. But I image they are upside down. Still.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
Interesting that the main gun turret(s) came off, but she appears upright. I know there is a lot of contortion as a ship sinks. I did not realize it could be that severe.

Usually, they're just resting on the tracks, so nothing's holding them on when it rolls.

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mundy
ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Usually, they're just resting on the tracks, so nothing's holding them on when it rolls.

Same thing happened to Bismarck.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

It would cool if someone found the Yamashiro and the Fuso. I'm guessing about the same depth as the Musashi. But I image they are upside down. Still.

I would expect them to be in shallower water. They were nearer to islands in the Suragio (sp) Strait.

Turrets frequently fall out of warships when they sink. They are only held in by gravity.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

That is quite something to look at. Can you imagine the force of impact when the hull smashed into ocean floor. YIKES!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Forgot how good looking those ships were
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

That is quite something to look at. Can you imagine the force of impact when the hull smashed into ocean floor. YIKES!
I was thinking the same thing! Imagine the valley it would dig into the floor. Though the pressure at that
depth may have compressed the sediment into something stronger than your average mud.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The thing that always caught my eye first was those 6" 55's superimposed over the main batteries. Not a good idea but they sure looked wicked.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”