OT-Daughter's homework had something about SRA

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

rockmedic109

OT-Daughter's homework had something about SRA

Post by rockmedic109 »

I was thinking that getting her into a Montesorri school was a great idea.[:D]

Then I discovered it was some type of reading assignment rather than a history lesson about
the Southern Resource Area. [:(]

warspite1

RE: OT-Daughter's homework had something about SRA

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Then I discovered it was some type of reading assignment rather than a history lesson about
warspite1

Don't worry, it gets better. I have been recently, and very gladly, helping my elder little warspite with her history homework; Weimar Republic, Hitler and Appeasement, Stalin [:)] Best thing is she is enjoying it too and so getting good grades - she even sat through the WWII in colour series!

It's really nice to actually be able to help - when I see her maths and physics homework I am totally non-plussed [&:]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Mine proudly brought home a perfect test score on the founding of the American Colonies. He thinks he's a 5th Grade history know-it-all!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I don't have kids, but I remember rolling my eyes at some of the things I saw in history class.

Same thing with science class. The school I went to for grades 6-8 was ranked the best in the Los Angeles area (it was a public school too), but my 8th grade science teacher was an idiot. I tried fighting her a few times, but it was pointless.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I don't have kids, but I remember rolling my eyes at some of the things I saw in history class.

Same thing with science class. The school I went to for grades 6-8 was ranked the best in the Los Angeles area (it was a public school too), but <bold>my 8th grade science teacher was an idiot</bold>. I tried fighting her a few times, but it was pointless.

Bill

We don't really care if she was an idiot, how hot was she? Never mind, you can't see it from a boy's point of view, but my 7th grade Social Studies teacher was smokin'

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

In looks I think she would be considered fairly attractive by most, but even then I found intelligence sexy. So she was not attractive to me.

(I know I'm weird)

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Don't worry, it gets better. I have been recently, and very gladly, helping my elder little warspite with her history homework; Weimar Republic, Hitler and Appeasement, Stalin [:)] Best thing is she is enjoying it too and so getting good grades - she even sat through the WWII in colour series!

It's really nice to actually be able to help - when I see her maths and physics homework I am totally non-plussed [&:]
I'm glad that history classes are good on your side of the pond. Over here it frequently is revisionist heresy taught
completely without any context and commonly with any accuracy being purely coincidental.

I was lucky to have one good history teacher and another who was a great teacher, if not the most knowledgeable.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Same thing with science class. The school I went to for grades 6-8 was ranked the best in the Los Angeles area (it was a public school too), but my 8th grade science teacher was an idiot. I tried fighting her a few times, but it was pointless.

Bill
warspite1

Yes, it is pointless - and fighting is not the way to settle differences [:-]

What makes it worse is that the teacher was female; makes yer proud does it - fighting a woman?

Shame on you wdolson [:-]

[:D] [Best put this in just in case]

ndworl

Post by ndworl »

Years ago, I got a graduate to train. He was from Hong Kong, one of the children of the HK Chinese who were terrified of the Chinese Communist takeover in 1999(?) and who had sent their children to various western countries, for an education and a safe haven. This kid did economics at university and came to me with a dilemma. The lecturer was BIG on state-sponsored industrial development and cited HK as one of the exemplars of this. This kid, whose father actually was the senior economic official in HK, knew this was BS. But he put it to me, should I get the top mark and parrot the rubbish the lecturer is putting out there, or should I tell her this is BS and fail? My advice was, get the degree and the job. Then tell the academics they are full of BS.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

The revision of history is an awful thing, but the reality is that the history itself is written by the winners from their point of view. My best example to offer up would be the American Revolution. The majority of people in the colonies weren't for independence and without the French victory might have been impossible. Read a history book in the US that mentions these little tidbits.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

[Best put this in just in case]

[X(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Bill

I graduated from HS in the LAUSD myself, Bill. Whereabouts for you? Because unless you name *my* school (the best in the LAUSD), I'll have cause to dispute the verity of your alma mater's excellence. [;)]
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I went to a good school but had a silly history teacher argue that the IJN sailed around the north of Russia to help the Germans halt the evacuation at Dunkirk. This same genius argued that Trafalgar was not a decisive victory because many of the captured Franco-Spanish ships sunk in a storm afterward. Wow.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

I went to a good school but had a silly history teacher argue that the IJN sailed around the north of Russia to help the Germans halt the evacuation at Dunkirk. This same genius argued that Trafalgar was not a decisive victory because many of the captured Franco-Spanish ships sunk in a storm afterward. Wow.

Attachments
Tactical_facepalm.jpg
Tactical_facepalm.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Here the latest argument about history in schools have been that out history books are gender unequal because fewer women are mentioned by name than men. This lead the school minister to take action and demand gender equality in our history books.

At the same time my sisters son was asked when was WWI, and he answered 1914 to 1918. The history teacher declared this wrong and said that WWI was between '14 and '19.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Big B

Post by Big B »

Just a bit of Cold-Water reality check here...[;)]
There is no such thing as the Southern Resource Area outside this forum ...as this quick Google should illustrate.

However, there really was a Dutch East Indies

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

The revision of history is an awful thing, but the reality is that the history itself is written by the winners from their point of view. My best example to offer up would be the American Revolution. The majority of people in the colonies weren't for independence and without the French victory might have been impossible. Read a history book in the US that mentions these little tidbits.

The Empire would have gotten sick of it eventually. One third wanted out, one third didn't and the other third didn't give a flip.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

To be fair to your teacher, he may have been thinking of Nelson's original plan of basing the fleet, not off Trafalgar, but Alaska. See below from about 0:40 [:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clM1i88s-7Q

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I had some substitute science teacher (a black one) tell us that the melanin in the skin protects the skin by reflecting sunlight. !?!?? [&:] Back to hot teachers - I had a black female math teacher in fifth grade and one time she slapped me hard. Didn't do any good. I should've got her to do it again until it did.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

[Best put this in just in case]

[X(]
warspite1

?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”