Unable to place Chinese Communist Unit

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Sewerlobster

Unable to place Chinese Communist Unit

Post by Sewerlobster »

I've searched the forum and must be too tired to find it or the solution because I can't believe I am the first to meet this issue.

At present the Communists control only Lanchow and Sian. I have more Chinese Communist units arriving than there is room to place them. I am unable to place the excess unit (as all city adjacent hexes are Nationalist), destroy it or return it to the production chart.

Bug or sleep deprived stupidity?
Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.
Orm

RE: Unable to place Chinese Communist Unit

Post by Orm »

If you could post a save it would be easier to see what happened.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

Here's the save
Attachments
TheChinaSyndrome.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The part that is a bug is that the game should recognize that the unit can't be placed and should send it back to ride the spiral. By the rules, it cannot be placed so that part is right. (ChiComms only control cities and any other hexes controlled by China (even when reconquered by the ChiComs) - end up controlled by the Natios, so Off-city reinforcement isn't an option.

I suggest to continue your game, as long as die rolls are controllable, you could find a save from just prior to turn end, artificially keep the turn going, pass and do nothing with everyone except USSR and move the one unit out of Sian. Then artificially end the turn after ensuring the same side that ended it does so again (so initiative modifier will be the same).
Paul
Orm

Post by Orm »

As I read the off city reinforcement rule the Chinese Communists should be able to be placed next to a Chinese Communist city even though the hex itself is controlled by the Nationalist Chinese.

I control the hex so I can place my Communist units in it even though it is considered a nationalist hex. China is the home country for the Communists as well.

Option 15: (Off city reinforcement) if you can’t place a reinforcement anywhere without breaking the
stacking rules, you may put it into a hex you control (not in an enemy ZOC) in the unit’s home country that is
next to a city where you could have placed it except for the stacking rules. You can’t do this with naval
units. Only 1 unit per city may be placed in this fashion each turn.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

Yes, this particular play has the Option 15 enabled.

I would have bet it was something I was missing, but it looks like I'll have to work around this. Fortunately, what is not shown in the save is the Sian Militia arrived this turn. I can just go back to the production and tweak the build.
Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

Did you miss one of the cities? There's one north of LanChow in the desert.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Larry Smith

Did you miss one of the cities? There's one north of LanChow in the desert.
I checked the save. He is not using the extra cities.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Orm

As I read the off city reinforcement rule the Chinese Communists should be able to be placed next to a Chinese Communist city even though the hex itself is controlled by the Nationalist Chinese.

I control the hex so I can place my Communist units in it even though it is considered a nationalist hex. China is the home country for the Communists as well.

Option 15: (Off city reinforcement) if you can’t place a reinforcement anywhere without breaking the
stacking rules, you may put it into a hex you control (not in an enemy ZOC) in the unit’s home country that is
next to a city where you could have placed it except for the stacking rules. You can’t do this with naval
units. Only 1 unit per city may be placed in this fashion each turn.
Yes - probably. The ChiCom rule also says one difference with them is reinforcement placement and reinforcement placement says they can't be placed in a Natio controlled city, so by extension they can not be placed in a Natio controlled hex. But as you pointed out, that is directly contradicted by Option 15.

So another case where the MWiF general coding is being tricked by a special situation arising from an optional rule.
Paul
Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

I was playing with the save to see if I could find an invisible extra city even though that option wasn't selected; and I got the "return to production" pop-up to appear by doing all the Chinese units first.

Could it be an issue with the Chinese unit being the last one the Russian is placing? This same save has repeatedly left me with no option when the unit was the last one I was placing.
Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

Oh, and if it's important...I had the unit resolution toggle on medium when I got the pop-up. Who knows, maybe only medium res Chinese Communists can go back to production; the high res ones are too decadent.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Have a Cultural Revolution and punish the high res ones.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”