Blue Sides

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wdolson

RE: Blue Sides

Post by wdolson »

The actual terrain is fairly complex. A map of this scale can't do it justice.

A smaller scale map here:
http://nona.net/features/map/placedetail.2367874/Nadzab/

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I only brought it up because I tried to sail in there and it was prohibited.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I just attempted to set Nadzab as a home port for a TF and got the following three error messages

Attachments
nadzabprob1.jpg
nadzabprob1.jpg (190.32 KiB) Viewed 66 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Attachments
nadzabproblem2.jpg
nadzabproblem2.jpg (134.92 KiB) Viewed 66 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I should note that this is a DBB-C game. This next error message is curious.

Attachments
nadzabprob3.jpg
nadzabprob3.jpg (210.51 KiB) Viewed 66 times

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

What scenario are you playing?

Select some other, far away hex so the white hex sides won't cover any information, then

- toggle the F6 key

- toggle the 1 key

That will show us the hex side codes and the terrain of each hex. Take a screen pic and post it please.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Isn't post # 19 sufficient? Neither side can posses a blue hexside. It's scenario 28 (I think)

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Isn't post # 19 sufficient? Neither side can posses a blue hexside. It's scenario 28 (I think)
No. You are talking about apples and monkey wrenches. It's the same blue, but not the same. Wait - Gorn don't see the color blue, do you?

Anyway, I've been looking here at my Scenario 28 extended map, and it looks like that river is not set to allow ships to move up river.

When you toggle the F6 key, rivers show up as purple hex sides, and rivers that are longer than 1 hex side show up as a string of purple hex sides. But ships don't move along hex sides, they move across hex sides and 'reside' in hexes. So for a ship to be allowed to move "upriver", the hexes on one side or the other of the river (or both sides) have to be connected by either blue hex sides (allows ships to cross) or white hex sides (allows ships and land units to cross). Look at some stretches of coastlines for examples where ships are allowed to move 'along' the coast and land units are too and you will see white hex sides when the F6 key is toggled on.

But wait! You ask "What about places like Rangoon and Palembang and some others?" Look at them with the F6 key toggled on. You will see that when ships move to those locations they are moving across river (purple) hex sides. Ships are allowed to do that, but only up to a certain tonnage. Battleships, for example, are all too big and are not allowed.

Now compare the area of Nadzab with Rangoon and Palembang and you will see the difference.

So, was Nadzab an oversight? Was it meant to have no port? Was it meant to have a purple hex side (river) access? Was it meant to have a white hex side (and and LCU) access? Was it decided to leave it as is? Dunno.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Slightly OT, here's a question. North of Lae is a base called Nadzab. As you can see here, it has a potential to build a port. Problem is it's surrounded by land hexsides. Does that change if you build a port to size 1?

BTW, this is showing the area with the 'w' key toggled, not the 'F6' key. [:'(]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I have the additional problem that my screen capture program uses "F6" to click. I guess I'll wait til someone who's been there and done that reports and that'll likely be me since choosey moms choose Jif. Where the heck did that come from? I mean I'll try to build a port there in some future game. But still, what the heck are choosey moms and what's Jif?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

OK witpqs, I'll find another screen cap program so the conflict no longer happens. By the way, are you some kind of baboon or a macaque? Where'd you learn to do selfies? Don't answer, I'd be sinking without your help.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

OK witpqs, I'll find another screen cap program so the conflict no longer happens. By the way, are you some kind of baboon or a macaque? Where'd you learn to do selfies? Don't answer, I'd be sinking without your help.
I cannot answer because even though the photographs themselves can't be copyrighted, knowledge of the process of taking them might be used against the monkey in court. You wouldn't want to make my cousin suffer, eh?

I use Greenshot and love it. The problem with even free and open source software today is that many people wrap crapware installers around the real software. So you often wind up with vicious crap in addition to the good stuff.

Try this web site. They provide installers for many wonderful programs without crapware installers, and you can even select more than one program at a time.
https://ninite.com/
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

It was confirmed back in October 2011 that it was a mistake, Nadzab should not have the capacity to build a port.  See post #1041 from Andrew Brown.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1639011&mpage=35&key=Nadzab&#2940394

Nadzab should be classified as an AF, not a base.  The issue of the appropriateness of having blue hexsides therefore should not arise in respect of this location.

Alfred

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”