Desert War 1940-3

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Saint Ruth

RE: Desert War 1940-3

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey
Hey Brian, thanks for your endeavors, I'll be getting into the game a little later on when I can find the time. One thing I would like to caution you on is "feature creep", especially if you want the AI to be of decent quality.

You've developed a very eye pleasing game with outstanding features and mechanics, but complication can be the AI's undoing, so ask yourself what you really want to accomplish and take a note out the MWiF evolution.
I know what you mean. I'm a sucker for the "wouldn't it be nice if...". I'm trying to halt new features (after supply) and do the gui / ai updates.
Just to say, the eye-pleasing maps are by John Duquette (who did the scenarios with map images too).
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thanks for the responses weertj, gradenko and Tejszd
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
dazoline II

Post by dazoline II »

That's configurable.
Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Java -> Security Tab. Uncheck Enable Java content in the browser. No more Applets, no more vulnerability.
ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

From a security perspective, Java has a bit of a reputation of being a vulnerability magnet (because it is universally used, so that like Windows, it is also universally targeted)

Attachments
Java.gif
Java.gif (106.61 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

...can anyone tell us what the scale is? Hexes/units/time?

Also, what can you do with the editor--can you make new maps?
The game includes an editor. You can make your own maps. The current terrain types in the editor limit locations of battlefields to those found in North Africa, Sicily, Southern Italy, Crete, Ukraine--Southern Russia/Caucasus maybe. I can see Korean War scenarios being made quite easily.

You can create your own land, air, and sea units. Units can be built from the ground up using the editor tabs or create and import csv files. You decide on attack, defense, movement factors, range, names, icons used for a particular unit, etc., etc.

I think most graphics (maybe 95% plus) are moddable/build your own; it’s totally open. I think you can change most if not all of the GUI to suit a different theater of operations (Russian Front, Korean War especially).

Ground scale can be anything you want above direct fire range...I use 3km per hex in the Battleaxe, Beda Fomm, and 2nd Battle of Bardia scenarios. Mortars/Artillery can be assigned ranges by the scenario designer so you could have 30km per hex or greater if you so desire. Unit scale ranges from company/battery to division level.

Time scale is open: choose 3 turns per day, 1 turn per day/week/month/year. At this point in development, the editor/game system best supports short, land-centric, operational-level WWII scenarios; where the scenario designer is responsible for setting/accounting for the strategic arena and the conditions therein.

About the only thing you can't mod in this engine is the sequence of play and the CRTs.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Love what you done so far Brian, excellent work.
A Sharif
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

thats great to see Desert War mentioned here - i made that battle scene picture in the last screenshot
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Thanks for the tip dazoline II

Must admit I haven't had it installed for a long time so it makes that concerns like having it automatically hook into your browser is now an option.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

bcgames, thanks for the detailed response. I'll download and install in the next couple of days, sounds very interesting!
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

If anyone wants to do a PBEM of Desert War 1940-43, send me a PM.

The Battleaxe scenario is the most mature and best maintained playtest scenario. Those new to the system who are playing a live opponent for the first time should try playing the Allies using the Battleaxe (No Operation Exporter) scenario. I'm in the process of re-writing the game manual so I am very interested in learning what your questions are about how to play the game. I'll play whichever side you prefer. I will do quick turn-arounds on turns and will play to the very end of the scenario. Let's learn from each other at your convenience. We want your input on how to make the game better.

If you have the time to spare, give it a try.

v/r

bcgames
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

...i made that battle scene picture in the last screenshot
Indeed. An excellent, thematic work. Very nice!

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

any news on when the revamp will be out/done?

great game btw
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

great game btw
The proper AI for the other scenarios you mean? It'll be a while as I'm only doing this in my spare time!
Unfortunately!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well good luck and yes you were correct also[;)]
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

ORIGINAL: zakblood

great game btw
The proper AI for the other scenarios you mean? It'll be a while as I'm only doing this in my spare time!
Unfortunately!

Checked this out a little while ago and it looks/feels great!!
Reminds me a lot of the V4V and WaW games I enjoyed so much in the old days.

Maybe Matrix would like to pick this up if you and they could come to some sort of arrangement??
The number of hits should tell them (and you) that there is lots of interest in your game. [:)]

Best wishes, and I look forward to more. [&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

V4V
a blast from the past and also agree
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I finally got around to messing with the game a bit, but unfortunately not for very long yet.

From what Ive seen so far I'm very impressed at what you have accomplished. I look forward to seeing more.

Great job.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Thanks for the feedback!
I've fixed a couple of bugs and put up a new version this morning.

Now to finish the Supply rules...
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks going to grab it now then
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Hello Saint Ruth. This thread has peaked my interest in giving Desert War 1940-3 a go. Do you post when new updates/versions are available here? Do you have a thread where questions can be posted, similar to Scherpunkt on The Wargamer (ie. WWIIE)?
JRR
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Downloaded and fooled around with it for a little while. This looks and feels great! Still have to read manual. Thanks Saint Ruth, and all! Looking forward to seeing this game progress with ai. [8D]
JRR

Return to “General Discussion”