War in the West is updated to Version 1013!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Daniele

War in the West is updated to Version 1013!

Post by Daniele »

A really big update is ready for the monster game of 2014!

It brings tons of improvements and new features like an increased efficiency of night fighters and the possibility for support unit to be attached to breakdown divisions.

It also fixes some bugs related to gameplay, bringing even more historical details to an already stunning game.

Download the patch here.

Here the full change log:

Version 1013
New Features and Rule Changes
1. New Aircraft Upgrades (section 8.1.8) – US 2-4 engine aircraft may not be used for upgrades 1 month after beginning production. US single engine aircraft are still not available until 3 months after beginning production.
2. Support Units (section 7.5.2) - Italian divisions and divisional breakdowns can now attach Italian and German support units. German divisions and divisional breakdowns can now attach Italian support units. When Italy surrenders, any German support units attached to an Italian unit will be placed in a German HQ.
3. Minimum West Front replacements (section 21.3) – When using the East Front Control Option, at the start of each German logistics phase, 20% of the manpower in the active pool at that moment is reserved to be used by Western Front units only (i.e. this manpower cannot be used for replacements for units on the Eastern Front).
4. Exports (section 21.1.12) - Allied/Axis equipment exports are now impacted by the production usage modifier.
5. Transport losses (section 16.5) - Reduced manpower losses when transports are sunk at sea. Now, ½ of the manpower in the elements destroyed are placed in the manpower transit pool.
6. Air Recon (section 17.3.1.3) - Air recon flights will automatically change their altitude in the target hex by up to 10000 feet in order to reach the most effective altitude for the camera device being used.
7. Editor – Added the ability to set the starting Soviet Potential using a function on the main tab titled Init Soviet Potential. The number in parenthesis next to this function is the current value.
8. Editor - Added a GE/AC and pool nationality mismatch scenario check util item.
9. Slightly reduced flak damage.
10. Increased efficiency of night fighters.
11. Adjusted pilot fatigue recovery.
12. Disabled the “no manpower” message that could appear when adding pilots to air groups on the CR screen.
13. Previously Undocumented Rule – Temporary ports are considered to be national supply sources for the purposes of determining isolation.
14. Added/modified 9 unit symbols and 3 ground element photos.

Bug Fixes
1. Can't create depots in ports like Benghazi that do not have a railyard, and airbases in that area are listing out as being isolated. Fixed.
2. In some cases admin points were increasing when a player used the build-up/breakdown option. Fixed.
3. Fixed a division by zero bug in an East Front function.
4. East Front airgroups don't send old aircraft to the pool when swapping/upgrading. Fixed.
5. Air groups could fly ADs after aircraft upgrade. Fixed.
6. The auto change HQ attachment (g key) doesn't flag the unit that it has changed HQs so a player can change the HQ more than once in a turn. Fixed.
7. Depots in Eastern Europe would ignore nearby units and use all their freight for the Eastern Front units when using the Eastern Front Option. Fixed.
8. A unit moving to an inland port on ships became stuck on a land hex next to a river hexside. While very rare, if this happens, the unit will be taken off ships in the next logistics phase.
9. Aircraft set to Night Only could participate in air transport freight missions in daylight. They would not actually fly or be charged with miles flown, but freight would be airdropped. Fixed.
10. Very high ranking air leaders were being prevented from being put in charge of HQs. Fixed.
11. Map unit search ('h') can hang. Fixed.
12. Popup box allowing entry of REQ AC (Requested Aircraft) in the advanced settings for an air directive tasks "Enter required number of aircraft" should list requested not required. Fixed.
13. Fixed EFB max group size calculation.
14. Fixed wrong TOE percentage calculation.
15. Fixed potential plane flak damage overflow.
16. Multiplayer fix - Hide enemy air directive targets after end turn button is pressed.
17. Multiplayer fix - Hide enemy units when uploading save to MP server.

Data and Scenario Changes

Scenario Files
1. US Chemical Battalions rebuilt for new OB
2. Fixed Cisterna d Littorio Airbase in May 44 Campaign

Data Changes
Wfdevice.dat
1. .303 Vickers ‘K’ MG (0001) – Effect increased from 1 to 2; Accuracy increased from 30 to 33; ROF increased from 23 to 32; Anti-Air increased from 40 to 53.
2. 20mm Hispano Cannon (0044) – Renamed 20mm Hispano V Cannon.
3. 30mm Cannon MK108 (0045) – Range decreased from 6000 to 4000.
4. WGr 210 (0052) – Range increased from 500 to 1000.
5. Added 50mm Cannon BK5 (0638).
6. Added 75mm Cannon BK7.5 (0639).
7. Added R4M (0640).
8. Added 75mm GebG 36 Gun (0641).

Wfground.dat
1. No changes except to tie in photo from Axel.
2. Added 75mm Mountain Gun (0373).
Wfob.dat
1. Added 42 Fallschirmjaeger Battalion (+) (OB 0584).
2. Added 42 BR Parachute Battalion (+) (OB 1049).
3. Added 44 Motorized Regiment (OB 0705).
4. Added 44 Mountain Battalion (OB 0706).
Wfgtype.dat
1. Added two new air profiles.

Seminole

RE: War in the West is updated to Version 1013!

Post by Seminole »

Does this patch address the mainland Italy supply problem?

I ask because I'm using .21 beta which does, but I have a server opponent using .13 and I'm not sure I can contact them to see if they want to use the beta version. Game is moving kind of slow, so I can put it on hold, but I wish there was a way via Slitherine to contact my opponent and let them know why I'm delaying.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The .13 does not fix the supply issue. For that, you need to be using the 1.00.21 public beta.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

So if we want the latest we need to install .21 beta over 1013 Official?
pz501

Post by pz501 »

Good question. I'm about to get a PBEM going, and I need to know this too. I understand .13 is official, and .21 is beta, but which one is best for the supply issue?

A lot of things being discussed on the forums are starting to confuse me...it's kind of like what happened with WiTE. Which fix is best? Which is needed? Which one is official? With so many problems and opinions being raised, who's right, and are the reported problems that bad?
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

The Beta contains all updates since release, as stated it also fixes the Italian supply issues. If playing vs human opponent please ensure you both use the same version.

A public Beta is always newer than the official version until surpassed by a newer official version.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

In our opinion, it's always best to use the latest public beta. Of course we want people playing the public beta so they can be tested, but they are always put out in order to fix problems that we think need fixing. They are beta because there's always the chance that we've added a new bug with our changes. That's why we try to get the testers to try them for at least a week before we release as a public beta.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

are the reported problems that bad?

The mainland Italy supply problem is a show stopper.
If there are no supplies going to your beachhead you can't do much.
My ongoing BG Italy game as the WA is only on turn 4. I'll just wait to hit 'end turn' when the official patch to fix the supply bug comes out.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
GBS

Post by GBS »

This doesnt include what was in 1.00.21b??? I just installed this 1013. Do I still have what was on the 21 beta? I dont get it. Can I reinstall the 21 beta over 1013?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Someone should correct the version number in the initial post to 1.00.13 to answer the question of GBS. The current public Beta 1.00.21 is newer than the current official version 1.00.13. See also my post #6.
GBS

Post by GBS »

Can I now re install 1.00.21b? Seems like I should be able to.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

ORIGINAL: GBS

Can I now re install 1.00.21b? Seems like I should be able to.
Yes
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I have just reinstalled game version 1.00,there is no updater,which patch do I install first???
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

nevermind
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

After installing the game do I need to update to this latest patch and then the latest Beta (1.00.121 IIRC?)
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Beta should be cumulative, having all changes since release.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”