DM article/scale ships I think u guys will like

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

t001001001

DM article/scale ships I think u guys will like

Post by t001001001 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ships.html

His skill are OK I guess, I can't judge it

What's cool is the comments section. Right off the bat:

(paraphrase)
"that's not her name then, plus she was refitted, her turrets and paint job are not correct for the date...."

so on [8D]
wdolson

RE: DM article/scale ships I think u guys will like

Post by wdolson »

He's got a Mossie too. It looks like it might be the Airfix 1/24 scale kit. At minimum it's the 1/32 scale Revell kit.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

The HOOD looks fantastic.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

The HOOD looks fantastic.
warspite1

She also looks wrong! The model looks more like HMS Renown after her refit - except she has too many aft turrets to be Renown!

The only thing I can think of is he has modelled the Hood as she would have looked post her 1940's refit - a refit that she never had due to the war breaking out.

The modern bridge structure and the aircraft cranes would have been added at that time.

Whatever, they are beautiful [&o]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Sure puts the modeling desk in the corner of my game room to shame.

What an awesome modelshop!

I love that he has a Cambpelltown.

It was used in the Raid on St. Nazaire, striped of armament, explosives packed in the bow it was driven into the mole to block the harbor.
Hans

obvert

Post by obvert »

On this site about Hood models it's mentioned that this is a what if look post planned refit.

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/gallery/hoodgallery2.htm

Awesome work, even if I tend to like em smaller. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Oh, no. I shouldn't have clicked on this link...makes me want to build another model....[8|]
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Apologies to our friends across the pond BUT I don't understand the HMS HOOD fascination. One of a kind, 10-15 minutes in combat and blew up. QUEEN ELIZABETH class - understandable - good service in two wars. ARK ROYAL had an ignominious end but did some good work before she succumbed, most everything other than the HOOD is a better choice in my mind.
Bill Goin
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I bet most inaccuracies are coming from the journalist writing the article and not the modeler

Another obvious mistake:
"HMS Campbeltown was an American ship that was eventually transferred to the Royal Navy in 1940"

That description would fit a "Town class" destroyer from WW2, however the model presented is a post war, all British, Type 22 frigate
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Nice - thanks for sharing!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

I bet most inaccuracies are coming from the journalist writing the article and not the modeler

I think so too. I should have clarified. The top commenters are discussing DM inaccuracy. The guy building the models I'm sure knows what he's doing.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Apologies to our friends across the pond BUT I don't understand the HMS HOOD fascination. One of a kind, 10-15 minutes in combat and blew up. QUEEN ELIZABETH class - understandable - good service in two wars. ARK ROYAL had an ignominious end but did some good work before she succumbed, most everything other than the HOOD is a better choice in my mind.
warspite1

No need to apologise - each to their own; beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. The Hood "fascination" is twofold.

1. Aesthetically she was quite.simply.beautiful in an exquisite, elegant, clean-lined, perfect kind of way.

2. From a career perspective it isn't about what she achieved or didn't achieve on the battlefield - which as you say was nothing like a certain battleship of the Queen Elizabeth class whose name escapes me [;)]. It's about the whole story. She was of course, if not obsolete by the time she was built, then certainly she had serious design flaws that ultimately led to her destruction.

But this kind of detail was not known to the general public who saw this great beauty - for many years the largest warship in the world - as a symbol of Britain's naval might. She was used extensively between the wars to "show the flag" and promote Britain's interests around the globe (it is said that this is one of the reasons she did not get her overdue refit - she was simply too valuable as a PR exercise).

The myth that was HMS Hood even permeated to the men of the Kriegsmarine, who feared this great ship and were stunned by her sinking.

And of course - as is often the way in life (think of actors, racing drivers, certain politicians, pop singers) - an early and/or shocking demise is usually guaranteed to add great mileage to "the story".

Attachments
HMS_Hood_..17_1924.jpg
HMS_Hood_..17_1924.jpg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 57 times

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

It's mostly due to the timing. British historiography of WW2 has a "dark age" of sorts after the Battle of Britain and before the American entry where the British war effort is pretty much restricted to the Atlantic and the Eastern Mediterranean, and neither of them had been going well for the British.

It's easy to see how the sinking of a modern German battleship is a massive propaganda coup under the circumstances - and the British government used that expertly - the loss of the Hood was turned into a massive revenge story for the Royal Navy, hence why the Hood is remembered despite it's disappointing performance.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

When playing the Battle of Denmark Strait I always had PoW turn in closer than Hood and always crushed Bismarck with her armor and Hood's guns. Sometimes Eugene would escape, however.

edit: playing Fighting Steel

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

When playing the Battle of Denmark Strait I always had PoW turn in closer than Hood and always crushed Bismarck with her armor and Hood's guns. Sometimes Eugene would escape, however.

edit: playing Fighting Steel
warspite1

Sadly Hood's guns couldn't hit jack during the brief Denmark Strait engagement....

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Who cares about Jack? I was aiming at Günther.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Who cares about Jack? I was aiming at Günther.
warspite1

Sadly, Gunther was as unhittable to the guns of the Hood as Jack in that battle [:(]

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Another obvious mistake:
"HMS Campbeltown was an American ship that was eventually transferred to the Royal Navy in 1940"

That description would fit a "Town class" destroyer from WW2, however the model presented is a post war, all British, Type 22 frigate

I thought it didn't look anything like a 4 piper.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Guys, the "obvious mistake" is actually correct.

The CT was transferred to the British.

The mistake is in labeling the model in the photo the CT.
Hans

AFIntel

Post by AFIntel »

Maybe they view it as we view ARIZONA. Famous more for the her tragic end rather than her combat action. And ARIZONA exploded about 11 minutes into the attack.

Just a thought...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”