Long running pet peeve

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

CyclopsSlayer

Long running pet peeve

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Is there a way to hack or mod the Cash flow indicator so that it actually means something?

Admittedly I was playing an intentionally economically crippled start. I wanted to build the Bakuras yards for the colony development bonus. A mere 50K Credits... Cash Flow was petty stable at +12K then 15K when I added in my still growing colonies, it was early enough that civilian building projects kept bonus income in the positive, if barely for most of the cycle.

I had 20K in my wallet when the tech was developed, 3 captured colonies (1.2B, 2B and 800M populations) All troops but 1 Garrisoned unit per planet disbanded. Tax Rates set to the maximum supportable without unrest as I wanted the cash now.
It took 5 years and 7 months of game time, the last 3 years or so without my touching the controls to hit the 50K, only to have the yards built by one of the NPC's... sigh. (35K > 18K > 33K > 19K > 28K > 21K > 33K > 26K > 37K > 21K were the number swings I recorded, Cash Flow was shown at 15K and Bonus 200 to 2200, during this sequence. NO upgrade requests. No troop builds. Declined pirate and smuggling requests)

edit:
Later the same game. Cash Flow at +3600, bonus at +2100. Wallet increments went like this; 170K > 210K > 235K > 268K > 287K > 312K > 349K
Bingeling

RE: Long running pet peeve

Post by Bingeling »

Lots of retrofits draining cash? Crazy AI diplomacy guy sending gifts?

Bonus income is one thing, but I would think cashflow should not be that misleading. Then there is of course the extra expenditure like the two above. As for the later game experience, I believe the bonus income indicator is rather useless, as it accumulates through the year or something, so it goes up and down a lot.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Yeah, manage your refits manually, and the diplomacy manually, and you'll definitely see more money in the bank.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I believe building resort bases will increase your bonus income. As soon as my resource situation is stable I start building resorts within or near my area. It really improves the cash situation. What all goes into bonus income is a mystery though. Cash flow is broken down in the Economy screen.
No problem Chief!
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Sorry for the late reply, RL rearing it's ugly head.

The confusion for me is that my refits, gifts, all expected costs were handled manually. I could see no real reason for the wild fluctuations. No pirate raids, one of the first things I looked for, no corruption, no gifting, maintenance seemed at expected levels.

BUT! I think I may have failed to account for the effects of smuggling missions, which I know of no way to handle manually. I really have no good feel for, or tracking of, the costs of the ores I was importing. I do know there were 4-5 strategic I was lacking or short on, and a real shortage of luxuries.
I am now guessing that these imports are the source of a fair portion of the costs.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

BUT! I think I may have failed to account for the effects of smuggling missions, which I know of no way to handle manually. I really have no good feel for, or tracking of, the costs of the ores I was importing. I do know there were 4-5 strategic I was lacking or short on, and a real shortage of luxuries.
I am now guessing that these imports are the source of a fair portion of the costs.
Smuggling bonuses are paid by the private sector, not by the state, same as all other resource purchases from foreign entities. The only way that smuggling expenses will hurt the state's wallet is if they cut so far into the private sector's wallet that the private sector stops spending in ways that create bonus income for the state, and even then it's not directly taking money out of the state treasury, just not adding to it. There's a policy option that allows you to put smuggling missions on 'suggest' or 'control manually' rather than automatic.

Did you take a look at fuel costs? That's the most variable expense (and biggest variable expense outside of ship, base, and facility construction) the state has that I can think of. An active navy which patrols systems, hunts pirates, etc will burn more fuel and thus cost the state more money than an inactive navy which simply sits in orbit of planets or stars.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Hmm, no I hadn't accounted for fuel. I was producing what I had thought was sufficient quantities of Caslon. I had scrapped all my original anti-pirate fleet once all the local bases were gone. So my only state units were two Transports and the three Frigates that accompanied them. Had scrapped the troops mostly once the conquered worlds had settled down.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

You haven't seen incomprehensible cash flow roller coaster action until you've played as a pirate. Their economic model is so borked I can't even begin to describe it.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Sorry for the late reply, RL rearing it's ugly head.

The confusion for me is that my refits, gifts, all expected costs were handled manually. I could see no real reason for the wild fluctuations. No pirate raids, one of the first things I looked for, no corruption, no gifting, maintenance seemed at expected levels.

In that case check for resource availability. Strategic resources have an effect on maintenance costs. Also, having shortages of luxury resources will cause planet income and tax levels to vary.

The two major resources to build from the game start are caslon and hydrogen. These are not only fuel for ships, but are required in vast quantities for colony growth. Make sure you have a minimum of 5 each of those two before worrying about others.

To simplify it for you: Go under the expansion planner and on the top section click the first instance where it says 'Unfulfilled". These are the resources you are short of. I personally sort by 'resources by galaxy priority' and distance, then set construction ships to build mining stations there by selecting the planet and clicking queue nearest construction ship. You can repeat this step as the construction ships will add it to there queue's and get to it as they finish other projects.

I've provided a screenshot with the unfulfilled box you need to be looking through circled in yellow. You may have to click it twice to get to where it shows the highest unfulfilled levels.

Attachments
expanplan.jpg
expanplan.jpg (143.22 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Ah damn, I hadn't realized that that affected pricings, but given 20/20 hindsight I see why it would.

Still, it would be nice if the displayed cash flow could be broken out to see the actual values, or just remove it as a less than useful UI feature.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Or displayed as a month over last. Or something that shows, after expenses, what your net-cash-flow was for the current 30-day period, or whatever.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”