Crash in 1.5.0.11b

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Satansbraten

Crash in 1.5.0.11b

Post by Satansbraten »

Hi, I'm running an installation of DW+Return of the Shakturi (German) and the game crashes with a reproducable exception (have the autosave, but can not attach it because it's about 20 MB in size, crash will occur < 5 minutes with time factor set to 0.25). Patch version is 1.5.0.11b. Is there any support for this version available? Can I install patches later than the mentioned version without buying additional addons? If not, is this type of bug fixed in later addons (it's a gamestopper)?

Here's the log dump:
-------------------------
Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.5.0.11

21:56:04 Samstag, 28. Februar 2015

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.GenerateAutomationMessagePrepareAttack(Empire enemyEmpire, Object waypoint, Object target, ShipGroup attackFleet)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.IdentifyMilitaryObjectivesForSingleEmpire(Empire empire, Int32 overallAttitude, Int32 maximumAttacksForEmpireWeDeclaredWarOn, Int32 maximumAttacksForEmpire, Int32 maximumBlockadesForEmpire, Int32 maximumPreparationsForEmpire, Double galaxyIntoleranceLevel, Int32& refusalCount)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.IdentifyMilitaryObjectives()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.nT19QrotG1caPA3eodF(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Main.W0DYfTYHl4(Object )

--- COMPLETE ---

Bingeling

RE: Crash in 1.5.0.11b

Post by Bingeling »

There are instructions for an ftp upload of game saves in a sticky.
Satansbraten

Post by Satansbraten »

I uploaded the savegame to the FTP-server. The file is called "DW+RotS_crash_(Satansbraten).zip".
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi,

As far as we know, that issue is the exact one that 1.5.0.11b addressed. We're taking a look at the save, but could you please try reinstalling the update in the meantime just to make sure you are on the right version? As far as I know, that update resolved this for other German customers.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/398/downloads/

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Arderich

Post by Arderich »

I have had the very same error 2 weeks ago when I just bought the DW + Shakturi package. Happened in different games/matches in DW. Game runs fine for hours until a certain 'mass' has been reached. 'Feels' like being out of memory but there is still lots of memory available according to task manager.

Important to note: I still use Windows XP.

I tried /3GB switch, /PAE switch and both at same time. Did not help. Decreasing size of universe and number of other empires does not help, too.

My solution was to buy the full Universe package and now everything seems to be fine. End game with lots of fleets, 16 enemies or so in a 700 star universe. No crash at all so far. So somewhere between 1.5.0.11b and latest build you've implemented the solution to our problem.

I believe chances that every customer with this problem will go and buy the full package after such a bad start are slim, though. This package might not be the one you want to sell but I do believe it is an excellent starter package to check out the game for low budget before you buy all. This is even more important for german customers as amazon.de only offers this package.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Thanks for the savegame. We've been able to reproduce the crash internally.

So we will produce a patch for Return of the Shakturi within the next week or two.

Thanks
Elliot
Satansbraten

Post by Satansbraten »

Thanks for taking care about this. As Arderich stated this package (DW+RotS) is still on sale at Amazon.de, at least the so called Gold-Edition (I got the separate box versions from there for the same price as the Gold version), so there may still be quite some people having this combo only. I like the game, but to be honest was a bit upset when encountering that bug, especially if the only perspective to fix it would have been to buy it again (like first buying a "demo", then purchase the "full" game).

Btw, I found another possible bug in the text files (dialogs) of the German version.
The file "mortalen.txt" contains some leftover English text inbetween the normal definitions. There's is a real 'newline' after the German text so the English text begins on its own line, without a defined tag in front of it. This may cause problems, depending on the way the tags and text is read and interpreted. I edited this on my computer but it didn't have any effect (to be clear, I found this one after the original bug occured). Quote:
CANCELTREATY_RESPONSE_FRIENDLY ;Ihre Unbesonnenheit überrascht uns, Freund!\n\nSind Sie sich sicher?
\n\nAre you certain about this?

CANCELTREATY_RESPONSE_NEUTRAL ;Wir werden Ihre Beleidigung nicht vergessen und zu gegebener Zeit Vergeltung üben...

Return to “Tech Support”