Map Maker Issues/Problems

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

rickier65

Map Maker Issues/Problems

Post by rickier65 »

I just wanted to give you all a heads up. Last week, while doing some final testing of some of the patch items, I went into Map Maker to build a test map. Map Maker was not functioning at all. I tried loading an existing map and was still unable to get it to work. I reverted back to the last Map Maker version that was officially released (what all of you have), and had the same error.

The google map image loads, and you can scroll around the map, but the google map image stays visible even after importing the terrain area.

This happens for any map you try to load. The user can no longer access the underlying terrain map to be able to work with Map Maker.

I've spent some time looking at Map Maker and I believe the issue is related to Map Maker using the google maps v2 API. This API was superseded by V3 API a few years ago, but until now most of the functions were still working. It may be that Google has turned off support for those older v2 API functions that Map Maker uses.

I have started working to replace the google interface portion of Map maker with v3 API functions, but it is more than just searching and replacing. Their were significant changes in the API and I'm not sure at this point how much work will be involved in fixing this interface.

Feel free to post any comments/ideas/suggestions.

Thanks
Rick
Ratzki

RE: Map Maker Issues/Problems

Post by Ratzki »

Well, I know that we can use mapmaker to generate an elevation and colour topo files. I have not gone through the process of map creation in a long time. I will fire it up again tonight and see if mapmaker comes up with any other funny business while working through a new map.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

One of the things I would like some feedback on is whether folks think we should hold the patch while we fix Map Maker, or should we wrap up the patch and release it without a functioning Map Maker?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
Rick
budd

Post by budd »

i just play other peoples maps, so i'm for releasing as soon as your happy. Whatever you decide is fine by me though, i'm just glad it's getting some work.Thank you.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

I vote for fixing Mapmaker included in the patch
Santini

Post by Santini »

Get the patch out, game has been gathering dust for so long now
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I've spent a few days going through the MapMaker code to try and convert to the v3 API. I have made some progress - ie I can load an existing map, or load a external heightmap and terrain map, but I haven't got the interface to google maps working.

I'm going to spend some more time on MapMaker I think. And hopefully this will give time to test the final tweaks on the AI item.

Thanks
Rick
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

That is good news
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Since you are making progress with the MapMaker, release it when everything is ready.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I think Map Maker is now functioning, though it has not been migrated to the Google Maps v3 API yet. I'll continue to do some work on migrating it. I've asked a couple of folks to test it in it's current state, but I think it's good to go.

'...Now back to our regularly scheduled program...'

Thanks!
Rick

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”