GD 1938 - Gets an Update

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

RE: GD 1938 - with officers

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I spent a few moments last night looking at the ant-supply radius of may sub II's and American TBD's. 50 hexes ! Totally wrong IMHO. A game this scale should not have that kind of reach on anti-supply.

I think you read that wrong, it is 50%, of movement.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I spent a few moments last night looking at the ant-supply radius of may sub II's and American TBD's. 50 hexes ! Totally wrong IMHO. A game this scale should not have that kind of reach on anti-supply.

Regardless Ernie, it's too much for this scenario. In my opinion of course.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz
Regardless Ernie, it's too much for this scenario. In my opinion of course.
You may be right. Of course it is much better than it was in earlier versions, where it was 100%!
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

GD 1938 gets another Update (v. 2.18).

This time it is a smaller update, programming-wise. Main features are changes in the map, new deploymet and OOB fot the Chinese and new SFTs and Items.

Basically rivers have been added, as well as roads, all over the map. Making it more precise.

The new deployment of Chinese forces should make it easier to survive Japanese onslaught, and be more accurate, at least in terms of the OOB. Deployment data for the Chinese is harder to come by, but not impossible to find.

The New SFTs and Items are Fighter Bombers, which have been individualized where possible.

As Always: Good gaming to everyone.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Thanks again for all your fine work on this scenario.

You and Bombur have given a lot of people a lot of enjoyment.

Good gaming, indeed,

Chuck
ernieschwitz

GD 1938 - gets another Update

Post by ernieschwitz »

Hi guys and gals (if there are any playing)

GD 1938 has been updated. The newest version is now in the scenario bank, it is GD 1938 v 2.18e.

Some things have changed, and some are not playtested for balance, but I hope that I have hit the mark anyway.

Here is the major changes list:

- Changed rulevars intercept chance so that it is more likely to intercept enemy planes.
- Changed rulevars so that it is now impossible to conquer a location without entering it.
- Changed research so that Better Training is now needed before Improved Doctrines can be researched.
- Changed cost of Factories to include manpower. 150 Manpower pr. factory, 50 extra if they function as a port too, and 50 Manpower for each port.
- Changed cost of Improve Quality card to 25.

The second to last change has been made to counter the tendancy to build more and more factories, and to make manpower get an added meaning.

• Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

GD 1938, update version 221

Post by ernieschwitz »

I have Uploaded a new version of the GD 1938 scenario. This one is GD 1938 v. 2.21

The main changes are that the economy has been completely rewritten in form and is now card based. There is no longer a max to how much you can improve your economy. Also cities can now be improved with Industrial annexes, that add 1000 production points to each. Colonial cities can be upgraded to Standard cities, also by card. The pricing of these cards is dynamic. That is based on what you gain from them.

I have limited the number of factories that can be built to 1 each year on average. There were getting to be too many of them and they cluttered the map. I had originally considered removing them entirely, but thought better of it. So if you play a game, and you are in 1938, you can build 1 factory that year, 1 the next year etc. Or you can save up your factory building points, and build them later. (ie. 2 in 1939).

There is also a new (and largely untested) manpower function. Each city or location with a yellow text on the map now gives you a certain amount of manpower pr. turn. You get a nice manpower report at the start of the turn. Places you take over by diplomatic means or get by defending them (being your best friend), will give you more manpower than else. Places you conquer, less so.

Owning major countries cities is now less attractive, since they now give only 25% production, as to 50% production before. So if you had taken Paris by the old rules it would have given you a certain amount of production, that production is now half as much. This should have a major effect on hhow easy it is to build up a super power by conquering.

Also there has been a change in the allied sharing of units. This is now only possible if the option to do so is chosen at the start of the game. If not, no allied sharing of units.

I think thats it for now. Feedback is of course welcome.

• Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

RE: GD 1938, update version 221

Post by cpdeyoung »

Thanks!

There seems to be a new game forming up in "Opponents Wanted" and I hope we get everyone onboard to try this new version.

Chuck
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Do I have to wait for my current (game v2.20 GD1938Game18) to finish before I upgrade to this new mod version? How are people in my current game able to try a new version in a game just starting?
JRR
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Did a single turn of all the Nations of the new build, I don't think it will effect the US as much as I feared as long as city upgrades are allowed every turn. Though only allowing one factory a turn will limit the production sites for the US. This will effect the naval war the most from my stand point I normally build 3 shipyards at a minimum for the US.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Do I have to wait for my current (game v2.20 GD1938Game18) to finish before I upgrade to this new mod version? How are people in my current game able to try a new version in a game just starting?
You can download the new version it won't effect any current games.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

You can download the new version it won't effect any current games.

Thank you Twotribes. I am commencing the download!
JRR
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Ok it seems you can only upgrade an Industrial city 3 times. Is that per year or max ever? This could be a problem for the US since they can only build one factory a year.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Ernie is this WAD.... As the Soviets you can pay to move a city. the old site becomes a 2000 production Colonial city and the new site becomes a 2000 production Industrial city. If the Soviets then pay to return the old site to Industrial city the card returns to move that city.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Not sure if it is WAD. I have thought that the soviets could do that, but I hadn´t imagined it would be discovered so quickly. Not sure what I think about it yet.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Ok it seems you can only upgrade an Industrial city 3 times. Is that per year or max ever? This could be a problem for the US since they can only build one factory a year.

Ever, sorry, each time you upgrade it gets turned into a new LocType. I got alittle tired after making 3 times the upgrade type... i Could have made more, it is just that there would always be a max. I found 3 to be "enough"... Since the way that you can upgrade economy by 5% is unlimited.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The limit on factories hurts the US. It severely limits their growth potential.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Also as we have discovered an aggressive Soviet Union can easily over run Scandinavia and Eastern Europe, which does not have anything to do with your new mod just this is a convenient place to put this.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ok, both things noted.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Before we go too far on a bit of evidence about the USSR lets look at a couple of facts.

1. The West cooperated with the Soviets in game 18, giving them much help in Poland and Scandinavia. These nations were basically given to me by the West, which was not yet aware of the way the game was going. This does not have to happen, and a vigorous defense of Finland, Sweden and Norway would have discouraged me.

2. The Soviets took shameless advantage of a new German player in game 18. In game 20 things are very different. The new player also had to play Italy and I showed no mercy there either taking tons of stuff from the new player. In game 20 Juergen gave me a bit of Rumania, and then countered any thoughts of my going further.

Don't fix what isn't broken. As Tom Main pointed out Falco gave me an inch and I took a mile. The scenario is solid. An experienced player took advantage of an inexperienced one.

Chuck

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”