Looking for a squad based game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

RE: Looking for a squad based game

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: E

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

The best squad based WWII game I ever played was SSI's Soldiers At War. If you could somehow find a copy and get it to run on a new computer, I think you would enjoy it.

I agree with this. Great soldier-based game.

It does run on my machine, however the scrolling is incredibly hard to control... mouse to the edge of the screen and you're looking at the end of the current map in an instant. One other hassle is needing to keep the CD in (I bought my first hard drive so I wouldn't have to keep putting in disks to run different programs! *ack*).

I'd love to see a remake or even a GOG version. However, it does pop up from time to time on Ferrengi-Bay, I mean E-bay (but wait for a decently priced listing).

There's some used copies on Amazon for $11 plus some change. Haven't checked ebay yet.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Isnt Advanced Tactic game squad?

No Advanced Tactics is more like Grand Strategy.

For some reason this page says it's operational. Any idea why?
Because it can be. I do not consider it strategic.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

http://www.squakenet.com/download/soldi ... war/11512/

then download any dos emulator, i use http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

and your done, playing it on any o/s even win 10

It says free but ican,t seem to be able to download. It sends me to a location that has me download a zip program
gunny

Post by gunny »

There has been quite a dry spell for this type of game. Been playing the 2012 Jagged Alliance Back in Action for the 3rd time already mainly because I like the Wego combat engine. Although the bullet physics are there and the camouflage ratings, it may be heavy in the role play elements. if you want an all out combat game
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Isnt Advanced Tactic game squad?

No Advanced Tactics is more like Grand Strategy.

For some reason this page says it's operational. Any idea why?

Sorry. I was being a bit sloppy with terminology. I guess it's a little difficult to say specifically what AT is. It's a pretty versatile game and there are a number of different mods and scenarios out there which verge on grand strategy. Great game though. [:)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

It's hard to beat the X-com series of games for individual sqaud based play. The new ones are great though I still liked Terror from the Deep the best.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

It's hard to beat the X-com series of games for individual sqaud based play. The new ones are great though I still liked Terror from the Deep the best.

I've been playing X-COM Enemy Unknown (the new one by Firaxis) and it really is well done. Really the same concept and graphics could be used in a game set in any milieu and it would make a great game. I wouldn't mind seeing a version done set on a contemporary battlefield with realistic modern weapons. I'm not sure if there are any games like that in existence now, if there are I'd love to know about them.

Return to “General Discussion”