Desert War 1940-3

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

marcpennington

Desert War 1940-3

Post by marcpennington »

Has anyone had any experience with Desert War 1940-3, based seemingly heavily on the WeGo V4V system, and available for download free here:

http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/index.html

It's discussed on today's Rock Paper Shotgun Flare Path:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02 ... deserters/

I gotta say, after booting it up quickly, it has a graphic design that puts many, many war-games to shame, but can't comment on the game much more than that.
Missouri_Rebel

RE: Desert War 1940-3

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Thanks for the heads up but I avoid RPS like the plague. It was one of my favorite sites at one time though.

Thanks for the games link.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Their site has some good screens on it. Gonna check this out when I get home.

Thanks again.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

No prob--- very curious to here feedback on the game as it does look very solid from a grand total of about 5 minutes of messing around with it.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Anything WEGO has my attention.

Wandered through the manual. Hmm there seems to be quite a lot of design work to this program.

Quite a lot of game to be offering it for free access.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Anything WEGO has my attention.

Wandered through the manual. Hmm there seems to be quite a lot of design work to this program.

Quite a lot of game to be offering it for free access.

Did yah ever hear the phrase: never look a gift horse in the mouth? [:'(]
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks for the link. This looks VERY interesting indeed. Downloading now.
A Sharif
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Going to need to study the manual, but first impressions are very positive.
A Sharif
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Been reading the rules and there are some very unique concepts here. I like that readiness takes combat consequences before unit strength does. The air interdiction features coupled with anti-air seem very realistic. Meeting engagements, overruns, and unit integrity are what you would expect, not to mention the recon, minefields, flanking and shock mechanics that all seem relatively intuitive. Lots of stuff under this hood, it just goes on and on with flexible zones of control, hexsides, and ambushes. No doubt, a superior design in the making!

Ohhh, did I forget to add the "extremities of battle" relation to the severity of casualties. Wow![:)]
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Managed to easily beat the Allied AI at First Alamein. Playing the Allied side may present a bigger challenge so shall be trying that next.
A Sharif
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi, I'm the Brian Kelly who wrote that game. [;)]
If you've any feedback / suggestions for improvements, it'd be great to hear them!

The AI was written a while back so it's out of date, as it doesn't handle the newer features like artillery, counter-air, interdiction etc. But once the rules themselves are all finished, it's up for a revamp.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Hey Brian, thanks for your endeavors, I'll be getting into the game a little later on when I can find the time. One thing I would like to caution you on is "feature creep", especially if you want the AI to be of decent quality.

You've developed a very eye pleasing game with outstanding features and mechanics, but complication can be the AI's undoing, so ask yourself what you really want to accomplish and take a note out the MWiF evolution.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Definitely interested in the game as someone who bought all of Atomic's V for Victory games (4) and World at War games (3) which were all WEGO based WWII board game style games too.

The only thing holding me back is the requirement to install JAVA.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

OT but this is the second comment I've seen re Java in the last few days. Can someone tell me (a computer illiterate) what the concern with this software is please?

Many thanks.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Ooh, just found this thread. This game looks interesting, but can anyone tell us what the scale is? Hexes/units/time?

Also, what can you do with the editor--can you make new maps?

I'm very interested in any game with WEGO movement but would appreciate feedback on these issues before installing the game.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

OT but this is the second comment I've seen re Java in the last few days. Can someone tell me (a computer illiterate) what the concern with this software is please?

Many thanks.

My concern with java is that it automatically runs when your computer starts up, at minimum it calls home looking for an update, and it hooks into your installed browsers increasing your risk surfing the Internet. There has been many vulnerabilities which makes it a risk and means many updates for the Java auto updater to apply.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Many thanks.

From a performance perspective, the thing that makes Java near universally compatible is also the thing that makes it much slower than most other programming languages.

From a security perspective, Java has a bit of a reputation of being a vulnerability magnet (because it is universally used, so that like Windows, it is also universally targeted)
waverick

Post by waverick »

Java in combination Desert War 1940-3 will not be a problem.
The game can be bundled with a suitable Java engine in a way that Java doesn't have to be installed.
So no security risk at all.
I can help the developer in doing this (he knows my address ;-)).

I use also Java for my upcoming wargame and I know that this won't be a problem.

waverick

Post by waverick »

.... much slower than most other programming languages.

[:)] that's sooo '90 [;)]

Java nowadays has a very good performance model. It is almost as fast as C++. In some place even faster (due to the small footprint which can fit in the CPU cache).

Looking at the GFX area. There is OpenGL support with good performance.
I use JavaFX for my development and it's performance can be compared to native GUI libraries.

But then... I am biased.... being a Java programmer since the... '90 [8D]
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: weertj
Java in combination Desert War 1940-3 will not be a problem.
The game can be bundled with a suitable Java engine in a way that Java doesn't have to be installed.
So no security risk at all.
I can help the developer in doing this (he knows my address ;-)).

I use also Java for my upcoming wargame and I know that this won't be a problem.
Also I believe Commander: World At War is in Java and does just that, packages the java with the game.
Cheers for the offer!

Return to “General Discussion”