Squad-based infantry combat game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kadingf

Squad-based infantry combat game

Post by Kadingf »

Hey all,

Over the last year or so I have been developing a multiplayer tactical wargame set on the Western Front in WW2. As an old-time wargaming enthusiast (and lurker on this forum) myself, I thought that might warrant posting about it here also. In some ways it is a bit of a mix between Close Combat, Silent Storm and Commandos, although it is a multiplayer game. The concept is based on an old game from the late 1990s called Chain of Command.

Our goal is to recreate small-scale infantry combat and the tactics that go with it. We have our first free demo version out now, you can check it out on our Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ka ... -of-combat

As a player you control individual soldiers in your fireteam and need to work together with other players to achieve certain objectives. It is real-time, but plays completely different from any run-off-the-mill RTS. Not only do you control individual infantrymen, I also tried to make real squad tactics matter. Making good use of terrain cover, suppressive fire, outflanking and maneuvering are critical. That is what we want to achieve anyway :). It certainly isn’t about resource gathering and “producing” soldiers, it is about keeping your squad alive while still achieving the set out objectives.

Here is a short video of some core gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37QeC31X1Yw

Importantly, playing the game is a team effort, as you’ll be able to achieve little alone with just your fireteam. In an average game you would be playing together with 4-5 other players on the same team. We want to organize each team in an actual hierarchical chain of command. At the top of the hierarchy will be a mission commander whose job it is to make a battle plan. Everything is still fairly early in development (but we do have a demo!), but the core gameplay is pretty much there.

It isn't the most hard-core wargame out there, but I would very much appreciate feedback from wargamers on this forum also, because we are tring to recreate some sort of tactical realism. Is it just me or is this sort of scale a bit neglected in the computer wargaming scene?

Thanks!
zakblood

RE: Squad-based infantry combat game

Post by zakblood »

it looks very nice, but to me it falls over at the first part imo as it looks and feels like a arcade type game in real time, very small and cute it looks and does have a good following already, but with real time and on line multi player in it, it's not for me sorry...

i like single player first, turn based, hex on or off, but the choice and more depth, strategy and a slower pace

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
gunny

Post by gunny »

This looks very promising. The graphics are good. I've played real time tacticals like 7.62 and soldiers of anarchy, shadow company all the way to JABIA. Also wego and turned base. I played every tactical man on man combat game out there. I am not a Multiplayer type, so sadly I must wait and hope I see this someday with an AI.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

it looks very nice, but to me it falls over at the first part imo as it looks and feels like a arcade type game in real time, very small and cute it looks and does have a good following already, but with real time and on line multi player in it, it's not for me sorry...

i like single player first, turn based, hex on or off, but the choice and more depth, strategy and a slower pace

I 2nd your type of play. There aren't many rts games I can stand anymore. I'm even getting to where I don't really like Total War games anymore.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Total War early ones are fine, really good and fun to play or any level, later ones, last 2 etc, very poor imo
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Total War early ones are fine, really good and fun to play or any level, later ones, last 2 etc, very poor imo

I have to agree, I though Medieval TW I was the best of all of them. I like the risklike boardgame map the best. Plus it seemed the ai could play a better game with provinces instead of individual tiles.
Kadingf

Post by Kadingf »

Yeah, I suppose that our game is fully multiplayer and real-time makes it a bit less attractive for many on this board. But do you guys happen to know any other communities / forums that might be interested in this sort of squad-based real-time tactics game? It is still early and prototype, but I think it could appeal to people who liked te Close Combat series for example or commandos.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Kadingf

Yeah, I suppose that our game is fully multiplayer and real-time makes it a bit less attractive for many on this board. But do you guys happen to know any other communities / forums that might be interested in this sort of squad-based real-time tactics game? It is still early and prototype, but I think it could appeal to people who liked te Close Combat series for example or commandos.

Electronic Arts? [:D]

Return to “General Discussion”