THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

USSAmerica

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by USSAmerica »

Hi Leo! How have you been? [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

We were on the north side of the storm and, as such, only got about 2 inches. Enough to close schools around here due to all the back roads that have no removal other than vehicles driving on it and the sun. So, kids are at home, play computer games with their friends online, and I am at work. Unlike USS Mike, I had to drive in to do so.

About traded paint with a Dodge Charger that pulled into my lane of travel with windows that were not cleared of snow and ice this morning on that commute. Seven lane road (3 each way and a middle turn lane), the vehicle came from the far left and I was in the inside lane northbound. Said vehicle had to cross three lanes plus the middle turn lane that was slushy. Two issues with the Charger, it didn't have it's windows cleared and it slid through the slush into my lane. I was less than 100 feet away and moving at 45 mph (posted speed limit) roadway was wet, but not frozen. I pulled a maneuver taught to me in Emergency Vehicle Operator's Course (EVOC) back in my Firefighter/EMT days. It is essentially an instant lane change at speed. We practiced it on a closed course with ambulances. It works well with a Grand Caravan, also. [:)]

No paint was traded and the look on the others that pulled up next to me at the next light down the road was priceless. They had a look of astonishment at how the accident was avoided. Anyways, my adrenaline is up this morning...
2" of snow and they closed the schools.[X(] Oh the cultural differences.[:D]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Yeah, here in Denver they close the schools when it dips below -17F...and not before [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

-50F wind chill, then the schools make the kids stay inside for recess.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

We were on the north side of the storm and, as such, only got about 2 inches. Enough to close schools around here due to all the back roads that have no removal other than vehicles driving on it and the sun. So, kids are at home, play computer games with their friends online, and I am at work. Unlike USS Mike, I had to drive in to do so.

About traded paint with a Dodge Charger that pulled into my lane of travel with windows that were not cleared of snow and ice this morning on that commute. Seven lane road (3 each way and a middle turn lane), the vehicle came from the far left and I was in the inside lane northbound. Said vehicle had to cross three lanes plus the middle turn lane that was slushy. Two issues with the Charger, it didn't have it's windows cleared and it slid through the slush into my lane. I was less than 100 feet away and moving at 45 mph (posted speed limit) roadway was wet, but not frozen. I pulled a maneuver taught to me in Emergency Vehicle Operator's Course (EVOC) back in my Firefighter/EMT days. It is essentially an instant lane change at speed. We practiced it on a closed course with ambulances. It works well with a Grand Caravan, also. [:)]

No paint was traded and the look on the others that pulled up next to me at the next light down the road was priceless. They had a look of astonishment at how the accident was avoided. Anyways, my adrenaline is up this morning...

You forget, the city of Murfreesboro (150k pop) has less snow removal equipment than my hometown of West Bloomfield, NY (1200 pop). It is the nature of the South. They depend on the Sun, mostly, to clear roads. They will be back in school tomorrow, as it is getting above freezing today and the sun is out.

It isn't economical to keep a large fleet of vehicles to remove snow with. Even hybrid vehicles for regular maintenance during the summer (which they currently use), are not enough. If we get more than three inches of snow forecasted, the bread and milk shelves at every grocery store are cleared. It is like the Apocalypse has come. We, back in NY, just kept 2-4 weeks of food on hand at all times for when the 24-26" snowfalls would occur and it would be a week or more before we could get out.

While I miss the great spring and fall seasons of Upstate NY, I do prefer a winter down here where I can just wear a hoodie 99% of the time for being outdoors.
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Hi guys.

Its low 60s here. I'm freezing!
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Hi guys.

Its low 60s here. I'm freezing!

It's 17F & snowing here. And I see folks out in T shirts [8D]
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Is it too late to give a shout out for that UNP up there? [:D]
Mike

Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

You forget, the city of Murfreesboro (150k pop) has less snow removal equipment than my hometown of West Bloomfield, NY (1200 pop). It is the nature of the South. They depend on the Sun, mostly, to clear roads. They will be back in school tomorrow, as it is getting above freezing today and the sun is out.

It isn't economical to keep a large fleet of vehicles to remove snow with. Even hybrid vehicles for regular maintenance during the summer (which they currently use), are not enough. If we get more than three inches of snow forecasted, the bread and milk shelves at every grocery store are cleared. It is like the Apocalypse has come. We, back in NY, just kept 2-4 weeks of food on hand at all times for when the 24-26" snowfalls would occur and it would be a week or more before we could get out.

While I miss the great spring and fall seasons of Upstate NY, I do prefer a winter down here where I can just wear a hoodie 99% of the time for being outdoors.
You guys own snow shovels, right? All those little idle hands. Get busy.[:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Is it too late to give a shout out for that UNP up there? [:D]
Yes. [:'(]
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good Friday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]
Mike

Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Good morning all. -16F this morning. 25F tomorrow. Spring is near.[:)]
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Cloudy morning. 56F. So cold I barely convinced myself to get out of bed. The hell that is CA winter continues. [:D]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Snow...but who cares!!

Attachments
Friday.jpg
Friday.jpg (8.64 KiB) Viewed 73 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

LLAP [:(]
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

There goes another part of my childhood. RIP Mr. Spock. You will be missed.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Took my son skiing as part of a class field trip today. His first time. Success! He enjoyed it immensely. I didn't destroy any important tendons or ligaments in my knees. Neither of us came away with frostbite, in spite of the -12F morning slope temps. [8D] A clear, sunny and beautiful day.

A good day.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Yes it did turn into a nice day. From -17F to 17F.[8D]
fodder

Post by fodder »

Good Morning! [:)]

Return to “The War Room”