Why does a site use so many cookies?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

Why does a site use so many cookies?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I looked in my cookie list and Matrixgames uses 17 cookies everytime I come to this site. Why? Why do you need more than one cookie? I know a cookie saves things like login an password but why the others? 17 seems like an awful lot just to store a password and login don't you think?
wings7

RE: Why does a site use so many cookies?

Post by wings7 »

It's called marketing. [8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Josh

Post by Josh »

Cookies are also used for tracking your internetsurfing, which sites you visit what things you look at. So *that's* why you get advertisements for shoes/cars/insurances/travels/etc whenever you have visited similar sites. The more ads they show in facebook/youtube/whatever the more adblockers/ghostery and similar anti-advertisement programs I use. Nothing against earning some money or an ad here or there, but it's getting out of hand lately with these commercials. My opinion ofcourse.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I use Incognito mode on most websites. It prevents them from saving cookies.
You can also use Adblocker or similar software to stop ads.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

This isn't some kind of discount/freebie game site we're on. We pay top dollar for Matrix products and we shouldn't be subjected to this as customers. I have enough trouble with my computer as it is.

Like many of you, I am a customer since Day One and would like an official explanation from Matrix/Slitherine on just how many cookies and why. If I am overreacting, then tell me so.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I use Incognito mode on most websites. It prevents them from saving cookies.
You can also use Adblocker or similar software to stop ads.

Can you tell us how to use Ingognito or get it? I cannot believe how many cookies I have found now that other sites are using as well. Google is silly ridiculous with the number of cookies they use and Yahoo too.

Ooooh read this about incognito mode: http://privatebrowsingmyths.com/

I have my cookie settings to not let websites set cookies except those I have in my approved list and you wouldn't believe all the ones that get though and override this. Ads from Yahoo and google are the worst. I have a dump set for temporary internet files when I close my browser and you wouldn't beleieve all the ones that won't dump when I close the browser. Tracking cookies is getting ridiculous and there should be something done about it. Seems you can't go anywhere anymore with a gd commercial.
RichMunn

Post by RichMunn »

Yes, you are a twit.

RichMunn
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for your kind post, RichMunn. You forgot to put the smiley face at the end of your response, in which case I would have laughed. I know it's only your 11th post, so I'll forgive you this time. [;)]
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

The idea that cookies are only used for nefarious purposes is incorrect. I don't deal with the website specifically, but examples of things it would be using cookies for are login validation, last time visited tracking (and the backup to allow you to reset it). And that's just off the top of my head.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

and they are used in tea, or coffee[:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

The idea that cookies are only used for nefarious purposes is incorrect. I don't deal with the website specifically, but examples of things it would be using cookies for are login validation, last time visited tracking (and the backup to allow you to reset it). And that's just off the top of my head.

Cheers

Pip

but, why so many? I can goto other sites like Total War and they only use a couple and keep the same information. Why does Matrixgames/Slitherine use so many? What chall trackin anyways? [:'(]
geozero

Post by geozero »

This web site needs a complete overhaul.
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Cookies are also used by the PBEM system to help you login and remember your sessions.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
RichMunn

Post by RichMunn »

Oops!

[:)]

RichMunn
Falkon1313

Post by Falkon1313 »

I have 1 session cookie, 5 of the standard google analytics cookies that are on almost every site (site owners use analytics to try to figure out how to improve their sites based upon how they're being used), and 6 related to the forum (which appear to be unnecessary but benign - an artifact of legacy software developed over many years by many people). Of those, there's only 1 that looks like it's just there due to bad coding. I wouldn't worry about it. Cookies aren't evil.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Cookies aren't evil.

I'd say anything that is designed to track you is evil. They call that stalking in the real world.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
Cookies aren't evil.

I'd say anything that is designed to track you is evil. They call that stalking in the real world.

It's called marketing...again...what's the point...[8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Because they taste good.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Nat it's not worth it I'll just get some ad removal and duckduck [:'(]
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Cookies can be very useful as explained above.

Trackers are more obtrusive and will plot your personal viewing habits, not to mention slow down your browsing due to the number of tracking requests a site makes.

Check out https://disconnect.me/ as a way to secure your browser from trackers.

(Note you don't need to install their desktop version, just the browser plugin. The Chrome plugin works a treat.)

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

Return to “General Discussion”