selecting pilots

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jamesjohns

selecting pilots

Post by jamesjohns »

Regarding pilot selection, I have the "manual" selection turned on but when I go to draw pilots from the reserve, i do not get to select the individual pilot(s) the computer just selects for me?

What I am trying to do is manage pilot training. For example, have a bunch of pilots training in restricted commands for a specific skill, say ground bombing, and they are hitting the 70 skill level. I transfer the skilled pilots into reserve, not group, wait many days and then want to transfer them into a nonrestricted squadron & individually select the newly trained 70+ skill pilots but can't seem to select specific pilots, rather the computer seems to just randomly select the pilots? I assume I must be missing a step or click somewhere?

i have tried the experience selector, where 50+, 60+ 70+ 80+ but I am trying to find the right skill set, not experience level.

Any advice is appreciated.
rustysi

RE: selecting pilots

Post by rustysi »

Have you clicked on the button that says 'select vetern pilot'?
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Yes, correct, I have tried setting the level of pilot request and changing te various options of "select from" between any, reserve, tracoom and tried all these variations
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

hi jamesjohns, welcome to this forum.

1st suggestion, switch to using the 'unofficial public beta' available in the top sticky post in the Tech support sub-forum. Among its many improvements, it adds get/release 5/10 pilots buttons to the airgroup pilot interface, a great relief to the pilot 'clickfest' problem. These 5/10 pilots buttons transfer the guys w/o the random 1-14 arrival delay. The beta installs to a new subdir w/ a new startup shortcut, so you can back out of it if you find that you prefer the stock game. Its 'beta' designation is a bit misleading, it's quite stable for use.

2nd, when adding pilots, you're set to 'Manual' at the top-left of the airgroup screen, then to the right of the 'Get n Pilots' button, you've got 'Reserve (nn)' set, is that right? The (nn) # is the avg Exp of the pilots in the pool. Now, don't click the 'Get n pilots' button, that'll give you a random group of guys from your Reserve Pool. Instead, move to the left & click the 'Request Veteran' button. That brings up the Reserve Pool Screen, by default, pilots are listed in descending Exp. Click on the text across the top line to limit the type of pilots listed - to fill out a bomber airgroup, exclude everyone but bomber pilots. Then Select the Skill that you want to list them by. Now, you can fill out your airgroup (best/worst level) using your selected criteria.

3rd, in almost all cases I prefer to organize each airgroup's pilots w/ similar Exp level, rather than similar Skill level. The game-engine tends to assign missions to pilots based on their Exp - thus a Training group will tend to train the least-exp guys, & an ops group will send the most-Exp guys on missions. In both cases, a subset of pilots will just be sitting around doing little. I find my airgroups perform best when 90%+ of their pilots share a similar Exp level, within 4-5 points of each other.

hth.
sanch

Post by sanch »

As jmalter mentioned, the "Request Veteran" button on the pilot screen is the key. Once you click that button you'll get a list of pilots.

The upper right corner of the pilot list has (in white) "Show pool", and then the current pool being listed. By clicking on the name of the pool (group, reserve, tracom, any) you can cycle through the lists. If you don't see 'reserve' just click until you do.

Also, as jmalter said, there's a filter across the top so you can limit the list to bomber pilots, fighter pilots, etc.

Then, select your pilot, click on the pilot's name, and the pilot will be transferred to your group, generally with a 1 to 7 day delay.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

It can be annoying though trying to rotate your pilots around, from training to combat duties. All I can say is a get some paper and write down the pilots and decide where you want to put that pilot. You can let the AIs do it, but sometime it added poor rating pilots.

edit... typos
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Thank you for all the help! I understand the process now, The request veteran is the key as others said, sorry for the confusion.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”