Looking for a squad based game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

shakespear

Looking for a squad based game

Post by shakespear »

Something like all those great boardgames (ASL, LnL, ect) that I can never find opponents for.

I have "Awakening the bear"
Crimguy

RE: Looking for a squad based game

Post by Crimguy »

HPS squad battles?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Being a squad scale wargame lover I think HPS Squad Battles is what your looking for. Superb PBEM and a great active community over at The Blitz. Plus lots of great art mods to improve the look loads. Esp those by Ritchie.For me they are the best squad level games out there. The X Mod fixes one aspect I was never keen on so the only thing lacking is multi level buildings but then I can't think of any boardgame like Squad level game out that has them.

Lots of Wars and theaters to choose from. However I do think the system struggles with modern warfare, Anything Vietnam and before works great. Red Victory is an amazing title to start with.

I do live in hope that Mr Grigsby eventually gets around to doing a new monster Steel Panthers, however with their current development plans it would be years away yet.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

The best squad based WWII game I ever played was SSI's Soldiers At War. If you could somehow find a copy and get it to run on a new computer, I think you would enjoy it.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

http://www.squakenet.com/download/soldi ... war/11512/

then download any dos emulator, i use http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

and your done, playing it on any o/s even win 10
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Steve Young's Squad Assault(like close combat), Panzer Command: Osfront (platoon level but looks like squads), HPS SQUAD battles (Pacific one is excellent), Computer Ambush (ancient squad game for commodore 64), Silent Storm (good if you can handle sci-fi mixed in with WW2). Squad Leader by Hasbro (awful game with Squad Leader title). Not sure if Close Combat series is squads? The original Combat Mission before they made real time out of it was pretty good. AI is lacking in both old and new versions though. Steel Panthers W@W looks like squads but believe it is company level or platoon level been a long time. Very good game though and it's free. [:)]

Oh I guess you could say all the first two X-com series of games are squad level and the newest ones. Those are what I call detailed squad level games.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: shakespear

Something like all those great boardgames (ASL, LnL, ect) that I can never find opponents for.

I have "Awakening the bear"

While not hex based, you might want to check out the free demo for Panzer Command Ostfront. It's turn based, WEGO system at squad level with individual tanks.

Rick
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Mark H. Walker's Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad is an excellent squad based game. [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Isnt Advanced Tactic game squad?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Mark H. Walker's Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad is an excellent squad based game. [:)]

Patrick

For once I agree with WINGS!! [:'(]
shakespear

Post by shakespear »

Lock and Load is on my list
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

The best squad based WWII game I ever played was SSI's Soldiers At War. If you could somehow find a copy and get it to run on a new computer, I think you would enjoy it.

I agree with this. Great soldier-based game.

It does run on my machine, however the scrolling is incredibly hard to control... mouse to the edge of the screen and you're looking at the end of the current map in an instant. One other hassle is needing to keep the CD in (I bought my first hard drive so I wouldn't have to keep putting in disks to run different programs! *ack*).

I'd love to see a remake or even a GOG version. However, it does pop up from time to time on Ferrengi-Bay, I mean E-bay (but wait for a decently priced listing).
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: shakespear

Lock and Load is on my list

You should get it. Fantastic game. On sale now for 30 Krackel Bars too.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/349 ... Stalingrad
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
wodin

Post by wodin »

If I remember rightly SaW first brought me to The Wargamer website looking for scenarios and then I found here, wasn't until a couple of years later I registered here as I'd been offline for a couple of years.

Silent Storm could have been even better if they hadn't gone all sci fi.

ORIGINAL: E

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I agree with this. Great soldier-based game.

It does run on my machine, however the scrolling is incredibly hard to control... mouse to the edge of the screen and you're looking at the end of the current map in an instant. One other hassle is needing to keep the CD in (I bought my first hard drive so I wouldn't have to keep putting in disks to run different programs! *ack*).

I'd love to see a remake or even a GOG version. However, it does pop up from time to time on Ferrengi-Bay, I mean E-bay (but wait for a decently priced listing).
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

No Advanced Tactics is more like Grand Strategy.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

For some reason this page says it's operational. Any idea why?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

When people say 'squad based', they really should further define, if it is a game with 'a' squad (like X-Com) or a game based on squads plural like Steel Panthers.

Because in some respects, Steel Panthers is often a company and battalion game when you consider how many units are in your force pool.

A squad leader is a Sgt, not a Colonel.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Ah didn't know, I haven't play that game much, been busy in other things.
shakespear

Post by shakespear »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

When people say 'squad based', they really should further define, if it is a game with 'a' squad (like X-Com) or a game based on squads plural like Steel Panthers.

Because in some respects, Steel Panthers is often a company and battalion game when you consider how many units are in your force pool.

A squad leader is a Sgt, not a Colonel.

I'd take either or

Return to “General Discussion”