POLL: Which looks better?

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

POLL: Which looks better?

Post by GaryChildress »

Which of the backgrounds below looks better; A or B?

The advantage of the landscape background (A) is that I can use one background for ALL ground subformations. If I use the flag background (B) I would need to do unique backgrounds for each regime in the game which would of course involve a lot more work and a lot more files for the game to load.

Attachments
Sample1.gif
Sample1.gif (42.48 KiB) Viewed 128 times
danlongman

RE: POLL: Which looks better?

Post by danlongman »

Hi Gary;
I like the Landscape background. Nice artwork.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Both are good, but i prefer the landscape one.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Bloodybucket28th

Post by Bloodybucket28th »

Landscape.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I personally like the graphic with the national flag in the background, but that will limit play with your excellent graphics. I mean if one is playing a scenario and the player is Israel, a unit with a french flag as background will look odd. Both though are excellent work
Josh

Post by Josh »

Prefers landscape, as it doesn't interfere with the esthetics of the unit pic. Ideally (imho) it would display the landscape of the actual hex the unit is in, the way AT does it now.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Aha! Now I understand what you are trying to do, just read your other post.

"...The idea behind the (flag) backgrounds is to have a background that won't detract from the unit graphics. For example, when one of my infantry units is in a city, the standard city background sort of makes it difficult to discern some of the features of the unit. What I'm trying to come up with is a background that isn't so "busy" that you can't easily see the quality of the unit graphics. I welcome any ideas anyone may have..."

Like the idea, but this way you will lose the added free info of the landscape the unit is in. So how about still keeping the landscape in place, but make it less intruisive? More simple, maybe even a bit translucent. So this way you will still enjoy the quality of the unitpicture but *still* have the added info of the landscape the unit is in.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Aha! Now I understand what you are trying to do, just read your other post.

"...The idea behind the (flag) backgrounds is to have a background that won't detract from the unit graphics. For example, when one of my infantry units is in a city, the standard city background sort of makes it difficult to discern some of the features of the unit. What I'm trying to come up with is a background that isn't so "busy" that you can't easily see the quality of the unit graphics. I welcome any ideas anyone may have..."

Like the idea, but this way you will lose the added free info of the landscape the unit is in. So how about still keeping the landscape in place, but make it less intruisive? More simple, maybe even a bit translucent. So this way you will still enjoy the quality of the unitpicture but *still* have the added info of the landscape the unit is in.

Well actually the landscape will just be the same picture no matter what type of hex the actual unit is on. Basically it's the city graphics which are problematic because there is a lot of detail in the city pics that tends to hide bits of the unit pics, especially the infantry. Things like bayonets and rifles get obscured by buildings in the background and it's hard to tell what is a rifle and what is a part of the background pic. Therefore I picked the simplest background as a standard, just a field with sky above. I think it's pretty easy to tell in the game what type of landscape a unit is on without needing it in the subformation pic. If I'm not mistaken the original game didn't have special landscape pics for subunits.

EDIT: I could maybe create some subdued (or semi-transparent) pics of the different landscapes but I'm not sure how much that would help and ideally I'd like to just concentrate on units and not get too bogged down in redesigning the entire game interface. [:o]
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

I like the landscape one myself.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

A for me.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Landscape for me.

If you put the Union Flag behind British units I think the graphic is going to look far to busy and detract from the unit graphic, the same would be the case for the Stars and Stripes for instance behind US units.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”