War in the West Beta Update 1.00.21beta now available for testing!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Fallschirmjager

RE: War in the West Beta Update 1.00.21beta now available for testing!

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I am loving the quick post patch support. Fantatic job team.

A few items I would like to see in the future. The German AI is good, I would however like to see it's unit selection improved when decided what to leave behind in ports.
I would also like to see some tweaks to how the AI chooses terain to fall back on when shifting it's lines.
Those few tweaks and the AI would be very good from the German side. As it is, the AI does a very nice job for such a complex game.

Finally, a long term goal would be to improve the AI creation of air directives.

I am a bit of a lazy player. I generally let the AI create air directives and then modify them.
It does a good job at recon and naval interdiction and little else.

For instance, right now I have a British invasion where the tow meets the heel in Italy at Catanzaro. I also have an invasion of southern Sardinia at the same time using only Americans and Free French.

The AI seems confused about where to direct it's efforts in the Med. It created all of my recon, interdiction and ground support in the middle of the Tyrrhenian Sea. Helping out neither invasion.
The AI seems to do one big AD for each task and is incapable of setting up multiple smaller ones.

I fully realize that the best way is to go full on manual. But as I said, I am a lazy gamer with limited time and AD creation is far and away the biggest time sink in the game.
It would be nice if the AI was more competent at AD creation and required less manual adjustment.

I know it can be cone, 12 O'Clock High and Bombing the Reich did a good job at automatic mission creation. It could get you about 75% of the way there and then required some tweaking. I could play that game at a fairly decent pace and that is one of the reasons it remains one of my favorites.

As I said before, I am loving the game even though I am truly terrible at it. I am loving the post release support. Just some suggestions for some long term goals.

Thank you for reading.
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: tevans6220

Hey Matrix...Stop being so damn cheap and get faster internet. I got a FIOS connection with 50 MBs download speed and it's taking me over 10 minutes to download no more than a 35 MB file. Right now I've connected at 44.9 KBS. That's ridiculous. It's slower than dialup speeds that I used to get using regular phone lines.

I have 1 GB per second fiber optic and I was downloading at about 800/kbps
For a smaller company, Matrix has good servers.

I don't get near the speed of say Steam or Amazon but it works well enough. I am not saying your speed is acceptable. But I think your experience is the exception and not the rule.

Battlefront.com on the other hand is a different issue. I don't like trashing other companies. They make great games, but their download speeds are atrocious.
The 3.0 full installed for CMBN was ~10 GB and took 12 hours.
I downloaded a 13.7 GB game off Steam recently and it took 36 minutes.

For comparison sake, a small flight sim company names Orbx has files up to 30 GB and they have started making some of their items available on Google Cloud.
Which is an amazing service. I have topped out at 6500 kbps using their service before.

Perhaps Matrix could look into that.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

I have never had download speeds that slow with BF. Think we are all taking the sins of the entire net on to the game companies!
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Im not sure that supply priority is working with Temporary airfields and my paras dont seem to want to drop now
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Smirfy

Im not sure that supply priority is working with Temporary airfields and my paras dont seem to want to drop now

You are right about the supply priority of new airfields as we found another case of this. We've already released a fix for this to the testers a few days ago. As for the paradrops, will need a save and/or more info.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

If an airbase has no supply (usually because supply priority = 0) then it is not usable as an airbase and airborne units based there will not be able to either plot an airdrop target nor be picked up and dropped.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Hey Matrix...Stop being so damn cheap and get faster internet. I got a FIOS connection with 50 MBs download speed and it's taking me over 10 minutes to download no more than a 35 MB file. Right now I've connected at 44.9 KBS. That's ridiculous. It's slower than dialup speeds that I used to get using regular phone lines.

Must be you. Have the same set up and got it in under 30 seconds.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

If an airbase has no supply (usually because supply priority = 0) then it is not usable as an airbase and airborne units based there will not be able to either plot an airdrop target nor be picked up and dropped.

Nope in supply just says transport aircraft not available, dont think I m doing anything different than before, Ill send a save when I get a chance
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Okay, that helps Smirfy. Your transports are based too far away. I find that airborne units like to have the transports based in the same vicinity as they are in order to board and drop. Try moving the transports up to the same area (probably within five hexes is best) and then try your drop.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We've actually upgraded many times over the years. At this point, we have plenty of bandwidth both in terms of server performance and the size of the pipe - it's not maxed out at all. Bandwidth issues are almost always a problem somewhere between our servers and your computer rather than a problem on our side.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We've actually upgraded many times over the years. At this point, we have plenty of bandwidth both in terms of server performance and the size of the pipe - it's not maxed out at all. Bandwidth issues are almost always a problem somewhere between our servers and your computer rather than a problem on our side.

Regards,

- Erik
Well all I know is I only have this trouble when I go to download patches from Matrix. Anywhere else and my download speeds are superfast. In the amount of time it was taking me to download a 35 mb patch, I can download almost a 3 gb game from Steam. I play online games (MMO's) and never have a problem with speed or lag. Only here. The other night my download connection was slower than what dialup used to be. It's to the point where I've actually started looking at other websites for patches for my Matrix games. Funny thing is I never have the problem when making game purchases. Only with patch downloads.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Considering other people (including myself) have never had a problem downloading patches (or any other program for that matter) from Matrix strongly suggests that the problem has to lie elsewhere.

Since there is no way to really predict the path the packets have to take to get from Matrix to your computer, you really can't 'fix' a problem.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

That is what people on their forums have told me. The internet being what it is, and all of the routes that packets take between your machine and the server, small numbers of people have issues while others do not.

I feel dirty even admitting it. But I have ended up download Battlefront game from torrent sites, and instead of using the cracks. I just use the serial key that I purchased. I hate to admit that. But their website hates me for some reason.

I wish more small time developers would embrace Google Cloud. I don't think the expense is that great but I could be wrong.

I also wish more smaller developers would embrace legal, company sanctioned torrents. I have seen some companies do this and they save a shit load of money off server costs and the speeds from torrents are fantastic.

Just some thoughts. I usually have good experience given that I am blessed to live in a mid size city with one of the best interet providers in the nation. But there are a small handful of sites that hate me. And Battlefront is one of them.
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

I have the same trouble with Battlefront too. Matrix and Battlefront are the only two places I have trouble getting downloads from. Funny thing is Matrix purchases are fine. It's just the patch downloads. Battlefront patches and other downloads are fine. Purchases are a mess. It took me 2 days to get the 10 gb CM Normandy Upgrade from Battlefront and I have a fiberoptic connection. They said the same thing that Erik said that it wasn't them. I realize everybody isn't going to be as fast as I am but dialup speeds are a little ridiculous. The thing for me is if I keep having the problem I just won't buy anything and like I said, I now look for other 'reliable' websites for my patches. Torrents or a cloud system would definitely be the way to go. I got close to 50 Matrix titles and practically all of the newer ones. I don't want to wait days to get everything patched.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Hey, just got an auto update 00.13...Have i beaten the post notifying it?
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Probably, I got .13 too
Always Pillage Before You Burn!
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

FTP shows a filedate of February 18th
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

That is what people on their forums have told me. The internet being what it is, and all of the routes that packets take between your machine and the server, small numbers of people have issues while others do not.

I feel dirty even admitting it. But I have ended up download Battlefront game from torrent sites, and instead of using the cracks. I just use the serial key that I purchased. I hate to admit that. But their website hates me for some reason.

I wish more small time developers would embrace Google Cloud. I don't think the expense is that great but I could be wrong.

I also wish more smaller developers would embrace legal, company sanctioned torrents. I have seen some companies do this and they save a shit load of money off server costs and the speeds from torrents are fantastic.

Just some thoughts. I usually have good experience given that I am blessed to live in a mid size city with one of the best internet providers in the nation. But there are a small handful of sites that hate me. And Battlefront is one of them.

I do not have issue with downloading the official patched at speed. However, it is the beta patches that cause me no end of issues, some come through fine while others it is a complete chore (trying different browsers, cleaning cache, turning off file download programs, etc), however, I cannot comment on the speed as compared to the official patches.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”