Best gaming representation of real tactics

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

flibby

Best gaming representation of real tactics

Post by flibby »

Which game do you guys think offers the most realistic representation of tactics which are true to life?

The two games I own which are most 'simulation esque' are Combat Mission: Red Thunder and Normandy, and Command Ops by Panther.

Im trying to figure which allows the realistic movement of troops etc. Although they are at differing scales, I think its possible to compare. Part of me feels that CM feels more tactical as you can position troops in covered approaches to FUPs, position support elements and then intricately plan the assault etc.

On the other hand, although Command Ops is more abstract in the sense of not being able to see your actual guys, the results of fires and the main differentiator seems to be the ammount of arty support you can call on, the AI seems much better and less scripted...

What do you fellas think?
warspite1

RE: Best gaming representation of real tactics

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: flibby

Which game do you guys think offers the most realistic representation of tactics which are true to life?

The two games I own which are most 'simulation esque' are Combat Mission: Red Thunder and Normandy, and Command Ops by Panther.

Im trying to figure which allows the realistic movement of troops etc. Although they are at differing scales, I think its possible to compare. Part of me feels that CM feels more tactical as you can position troops in covered approaches to FUPs, position support elements and then intricately plan the assault etc.

On the other hand, although Command Ops is more abstract in the sense of not being able to see your actual guys, the results of fires and the main differentiator seems to be the ammount of arty support you can call on, the AI seems much better and less scripted...

warspite1

Sorry I have no answer to your question as I only really play strategic games. However, I had to post to say that your avatar always makes me chuckle [&o]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wings7

Post by wings7 »

To me Combat Mission has a realistic movement of troops in the tactical sense. Command Ops, more in the strategical sense, both are excellent games!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Although the Op asked about tactics, my preferences are:

Tactics - Combat Mission
Operational - Command Ops (sadly no longer available); The Operational Art of War
Strategic - Hearts of Iron

I actually prefer the older Combat Mission games to the later ones. Steel Panthers is good fun. So too Advanced Tactics (although it is more operational/strategic; and John Tiller's Campaign Series. I like games with random scenario generators. Even though I don't have time to play any game's included scenarios I just like the infinite replayability of random scenario generators although you have to accept that some times the games are a bit weird.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I have to echo what others have said. Combat Mission just can't be beat at its detailed depiction of a battlefield at the tactical level. IMO they may have made CMx2 more detailed/complicated than it needed to be, which has led to issues, but that isn't the question.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is at the "grand tactical" level and is very cool.

Command Ops offers a similarly unique experience at the operational level.

I would also throw Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops out there for its depiction of air/naval combat at the tactical level (and operational/strategic, depending on the scenario). You're just looking at simple icons on a map, but there's a ton going on under the hood.
flibby

Post by flibby »

Thanks for the responses guys [:)]

I remember CO being referred to as 'grand tactical' but always struggled as, I agree with you guys, it IS more operational..

Has anyone head of or played this game before? http://www.historicalsoftware.com/?page_id=37

Called 'Battle Command' - Seems very very hardcore but i'd like to know if someone else has played it before investiing my hard earned cash [:D]

Also if anyone wants a PBEM game of Combat Mission Red Thunder - let me know.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

too hard core in looking and in design, by looks only mind you, never played it, but maps look good, but also not great to have counters on them, as that for me spoils it, should have modelled real tanks into that display asthe cardboard looking counters lets it down, at first it looks like a military sim one, until i saw those[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Thanks for the responses guys [:)]

I remember CO being referred to as 'grand tactical' but always struggled as, I agree with you guys, it IS more operational..

Has anyone head of or played this game before? http://www.historicalsoftware.com/?page_id=37

Called 'Battle Command' - Seems very very hardcore but i'd like to know if someone else has played it before investiing my hard earned cash [:D]

Also if anyone wants a PBEM game of Combat Mission Red Thunder - let me know.

I seem to recall seeing this when it was in development. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think initially it only had modern battles/equipment and since that isn't my cup of tea, I never tried it. You may still be able to find an older demo version online, though it looks like it's improved quite a lot -- though it did look quite nice even when I saw it.

Rick
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

For real tactics you would need to trend toward simulations.

I would recommend Sub Command and 688I.

There is a good deal on Amazon now for Naval Combat Pack – PC (three games - about12 bucks)
You need to be careful of your operating system.
This will work on XP which means it will probably work on windows 7.

I’ve never played Fleet Command but I can recommend the sub games.
I’m not a big fan of BVR combat but these sub games are real to the point of being boring.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
flibby

Post by flibby »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

too hard core in looking and in design, by looks only mind you, never played it, but maps look good, but also not great to have counters on them, as that for me spoils it, should have modelled real tanks into that display asthe cardboard looking counters lets it down, at first it looks like a military sim one, until i saw those[;)]

Yeah, I think that's one of my downfalls - I want to have the best of both worlds - graphics and realism. It seems to a certain extent that they are mutually exclusive. Aside from perhaps Combat Mission.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

I have been playing CM: Black Sea recently, it is a lot of fun. A good modern warfare tactical game.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have played it, but I wouldn't call it hardcore...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
flibby

Post by flibby »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I have played it, but I wouldn't call it hardcore...

Wrong game [;)]

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Rise of Flight.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
fvianello

Post by fvianello »

Command - Modern Air / Naval Operations
H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Oh I'd say Panzer Command: Osfront over Combat Mission (better ai too) and there's a new game series Achtung something or other i'd recommend 2nd (now that's your hardcore version).
Ron

Post by Ron »

As mentioned Command Ops, while a great game, is operational in scope, perhaps grand tactical. Combat Mission is the definite leader for realistic tactical play. With the new AI triggers introduced last year with upgrade 3.0, I have had my butt handed to me more than once by the AI; it has advanced exponentially from the original series.

I have not played it for several years, but another serious sim for the modern era is Steel Beasts Pro. It's pricey and requires a lot of dedication, but along with Combat Mission, are the only games in town that attempt to realistically model real life tactics.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

I find that the Combat Mission series offers the best tactical experience.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Why nobody has mentioned Achtung Panzer: Operation Star yet?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I thought Unity of Command: Red Turn had a very authentic-feeling depiction of how Deep Battle is supposed to be performed.

I agree with Combat Mission as very realistic for the tactical level.

Achtung Panzer I thought was TOO realistic - there's not enough unit density and too much battle-space for my taste.

Return to “General Discussion”