Build resort at black holes ?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

kenbi

Build resort at black holes ?

Post by kenbi »

build resort bass at black holes, difficult to understand
Attachments
buildConverted.jpg
buildConverted.jpg (70.81 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Aeson

RE: Build resort at black holes ?

Post by Aeson »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why the construction ship is building a resort base at that location? Black holes tend to have very high scenery bonuses, often in the 50% to 70% range from what I can recall. Are you asking why the construction ship is not on top of the Black Hole object when performing its construction mission? Black holes destroy any ships which come too close, and the resort doesn't need to be extremely close to the black hole to function. Plus, the ship appears to have just arrived in the area and so may not have finished maneuvering to the build point. Are you asking something else?
kenbi

Post by kenbi »

build resort base
Attachments
1Converted.jpg
1Converted.jpg (94.43 KiB) Viewed 473 times
kenbi

Post by kenbi »

Black hole absorbing resort base and Construction Ship
Attachments
2Converted.jpg
2Converted.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 506 times
kenbi

Post by kenbi »

bum``
Attachments
3Converted.jpg
3Converted.jpg (149.02 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Legatusi

Post by Legatusi »

You need to build them before the event Horizon, just select the "whole system" and click build space resort in the down bar. Sending people to back holes is really nasty stuff.
kenbi

Post by kenbi »

Explain to me why. I can not build resort base at black hole
VestedGamr

Post by VestedGamr »

If you're selecting a construction ship and right-clicking on the black hole, you're telling the construction ship to build it at that exact location. What you need to do is either click on the black hole and then hit the yellow button that says "Build Resort Base" when you mouse over it, or follow Legatusi's instructions.

As to why you can't put the resort base directly on the black hole, it should be pretty obvious, but if you don't know about black holes they have an incredibly strong gravitational pull. Things in a lower-than-stable orbit around one tend to get pulled in and reduced to basic subatomic particles - and at the same time, get frozen in time because of Special Relativity.
What happens when you cross Distant Worlds with a bullet-hell shooter? I don't know, but I'm about to find out.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Explain to me why. I can not build resort base at black hole
The reason why you're losing the ship and base is because your construction site is too close to the black hole, and black holes destroy anything which comes within a certain distance of the black hole object (that swirly thing in the system center). If you're manually placing the resort base with a construction ship selected, chances are you're placing the base too close to the black hole, and I would suggest attempting to place the base elsewhere or use a different method of placing the base, such as Legatusi's suggestion of using the Build Resort Base button in the lower left corner of the screen which ought to show up when you have the black hole selected (may require a nonzero scenery bonus at the black hole).

If you want to build anything at all at a black hole, it really is far easier to select the black hole and use the appropriate button under the bottom left panel than it is to place the structure yourself as I cannot recall ever seeing the computer misplace the station. If you really want to place the resort base yourself, then I suggest that you figure out what the minimum safe distance from the black hole is and order your construction ship to build the station at least that far away from the actual black hole object.
feygan

Post by feygan »

Part of this issue I think comes from how folks define things compared to how the game does, it is an old problem though. Building anything at a "black hole" is doomed to fail, black holes kill everything. However a "black hole system" is a different thing, you can build at the system as the actual black hole itself is within the system and has a limited range of pull. Once you start looking at them like that everything regarding building and black holes becomes simple.
Snake0437

Post by Snake0437 »

Actually, fast investigation, show that each black hole have 4 safe zones around for building a resort, that will work, and will not be sucked into black hole. It's possible to see these zones out of BH circle, just by hovering the mouse cursor around the circle and see at what position the black hole name will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Be aware, if station is built very close to the black hole cirle, it will begin to move into the event horizon, and destroyed. Build too far away (at the coordinates, where you are not see a black hole name at the bottom of the game screen) and it will not work. So, choose placement carefully.
Of course, it's possible to go via the Legatusi's method, but at the most cases it will end in the lost of construction ship, because, in such "auto-mode" constructor exits from hyperjump very close to black hole center, then trying to get to construction site on sub-light engines, but can't overcome the black hole attraction and slowly moving to the center, where it eventually dies. My experiments shows, that constructor should have at least 50 units of sub-light thrust, to overcome the black hole force.

Also, there is an interesting bug (feature?) was found: you can build up to 4 resort bases per single black hole :)
Attachments
BlackHoleSafeZones.jpg
BlackHoleSafeZones.jpg (232.55 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Hyperion1

Post by Hyperion1 »

Thanks you for this accurate answer!

Black Hole construction's placement is always something I struggled with.
Hodugherty

Post by Hodugherty »

You need to build them before the event Horizon, just select the "whole system" and click build space resort in the down bar. Sending people to back holes is really nasty stuff.
Snake0437

Post by Snake0437 »

ORIGINAL: Hodugherty

Unfortunatelly, during my testing, such method is ending with death of constructor in 9 of 10 cases :(
Hyperion1

Post by Hyperion1 »

I confirm Snake0437 is right.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

If the AI decides on its own to build a resort base next to a black hole it seems to work fine but if you manually order it or try to place it yourself then yeah more often than not it ends in disaster.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
boolybooly

Post by boolybooly »

Easy enough to micro once you have done the experiments.

Order the build, intercept the constructor with materials before it warps into the BH.

Click the blackhole, zoom in and place a boundary edge at one side of the screen.

Order the constructor to a location close to the boundary, if the constructor cannot stay static in space then move it further out, if it is drawn into the BH past the boundary then order a warp to a distant location and start again, it will escape with warp if thrusters cannot do it.

Once you have established a range where things will stay put then you can build the design your constructor already has materials for at that range or further away whatever the angle to the BH core. On my 1080p 27" its about 2 inches from the boundary at max zoom.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”