2000 limit on flying supplies question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

colt6900

2000 limit on flying supplies question

Post by colt6900 »

I read in the production summary that there is a limit of 2000 points I believe to flying in supplies, at least that's what it said.
However, I don't know if the 2000 means per plane, per flight group or per base?
Does anyone have some experience who can clarify the 2000 limitation?
Yaab

RE: 2000 limit on flying supplies question

Post by Yaab »

If you ask about aircraft capacity for supply transport, then it is as follows:

a/c max load
1-3999 = 1 supply point
4000-5999 = 2 supply points
6000-7999 = 3 supply points
8000-9999= 4 supply
10,000-11,999 = 5 supply
12,000-13,999 = 6 supply

If you mean if 2000 supplies is maximum which can be brought by AIR to a BASE in ONE TURN, than I have not heard about such limitation.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

If you mean if 2000 supplies is maximum which can be brought by AIR to a BASE in ONE TURN, than I have not heard about such limitation.
Nor have I.

But 2,000 pounds = 1 ton = 1 supply point sounds suspiciously familiar. IIRC 1 supply point is the minimum that an aircraft will move in AE, so I'm betting that somebody got things twisted around.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

One supply point for each 2000 A/C capacity rounded down, with a minimum of one supply point per A/C. You can transport as much supply as you can get A/C in the hex, but there may be issues due to overstacking the airbase. Not sure.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I've never heard of a supply limit into a hex based upon a turn. So I agree with the above and say there is no limits other than those imposed by the base and airfield size.

But I DO have a follow-on question. Let's say I have 20 a/c that have 1200 lift capacity each and they all deliver to the same hex, do I only get 20 supply points or do I get an overall compilation of the planes collective capacity and thus 24 supply points?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I've never heard of a supply limit into a hex based upon a turn. So I agree with the above and say there is no limits other than those imposed by the base and airfield size.

But I DO have a follow-on question. Let's say I have 20 a/c that have 1200 lift capacity each and they all deliver to the same hex, do I only get 20 supply points or do I get an overall compilation of the planes collective capacity and thus 24 supply points?

Only 20 supply points are delivered.

Alfred
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Only 20 supply points are delivered.

Alfred

Gosh dangit! I'd say something stronger but this is a polite forum. But then why do transports have odd numbers not equal to 1000? Is this in relation to the equipment the craft can carry (more capacity means larger or more numbers of equipment)?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I dread 1200 capacity is just chrome.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Me too, I'm trusting that it is related to the maximum size of the object, such as a jeep or anti-tank gun, etc., that it can carry.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

It pays lip service to their historical capacity.  The game code itself is limited and has to be shoehorned into the abstraction.  Every transport plane can carry at least 1 supply point even if in reality the actual capacity was only a few hundred pounds.

Alfred
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Yes that's true, I've seen that "lip service". However as all equipment has load costs, I thought it also might play a part in the capacity of that a/c to load/carry equipment. Hal
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

The load costs are already abstracted.  The capacity of the transport only comes into play in determining the quantity carried, not whether the device can be carried at all.

A DH-84 Dragon with its capacity of 520 lbs can still carry between two airfields a 6 pdr AT Gun which has a load cost of 8.  Very hard to see how that feat could have been accomplished in real life but within the context of an abstraction, quite acceptable.  Or consider squads which have widely diverging load costs but any single one can still be shoehorned into a DH-84 Dragon.

Alfred
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Ok, thanks Alfred, that ends this discussion!
colt6900

Post by colt6900 »

Thank you for all your comments. They're quite educational, however, I'm still confused on the 20 (I assume points)
limit that you mentioned earlier.
Is that per base receiving supplies, per group flying supplies or something else?
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

colt,

I believe the response of 20 was in response to my question of fractional loads. Look at my post where I ask in my example if the 20 planes with 1200 capacity would collectively add up their loads to deliver 24 supply points or 20 (1000 capacity = one supply point). The answer was 1200 capacity still only delivers 20 supply points, any excess is lost. Thus for a plane to carry 2 supply points it needs a capacity of 2000+. 1200 rounds down to 1000. Does that clear it up?
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The load costs are already abstracted.  The capacity of the transport only comes into play in determining the quantity carried, not whether the device can be carried at all.

A DH-84 Dragon with its capacity of 520 lbs can still carry between two airfields a 6 pdr AT Gun which has a load cost of 8.  Very hard to see how that feat could have been accomplished in real life but within the context of an abstraction, quite acceptable.  Or consider squads which have widely diverging load costs but any single one can still be shoehorned into a DH-84 Dragon.

Alfred

It certainly seems from my memory of hauling lots of Japanese units around in a previous game that the size of transport mattered as to whether it would carry the bigger devices or not. Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly, but I'd be curious to know more.

I found this in a discussion where Damian answered an OP about air transport with the quote from the manual.
ORIGINAL: n01487477

Air transport is handled fairly simplistically compared to ship transport.
-----------
Moving troops from base to base:
a) Can't move a non-squad or non-engineer device with a load cost >9

Air dropping troops:
a) Can't air drop a non-squad device with a load cost >7 or if none are ready

Interestingly a Humber IV has a load cost of 8, so can I air transport a Humber IV? And as stated this would allow me to air transport a Valentine III or Stuart tank as well! [X(]

Here is a list of devices that are transportable by air (incomplete of course but interesting. I haven't looked yet on the Japanese side):

Humber I = 7
Humber IV = 8
Stuart I and VI = 7
Valentine III = 9
Marmon Harrington = 7
M3A1 Armored Car = 7

2 pdr AT gun = 6
6 pdr AT gun = 8
3.7" mtn gun = 9

37mm AT gun = 6
57mm M1A3 AT gun = 8
75mm M1A1 Pack How = 9
75mm GMC Halftrack = 8
M2A4 Light tank = 7
M3/5 Stuart = 7

Attachments
Valentine III.jpg
Valentine III.jpg (322.48 KiB) Viewed 213 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

Here is a list of Japanese devices that can be air lifted (again, not comprehensive):

Type 89A Medium tank = 9
Type 2 light tank = 7
Type 98 light tank = 7
Type 95 light tank = 7
Type 94 tankette = 7
Type 97 tankette = 7
Type 2 Amph tank = 9

75mm T38 field gun = 9
75mm T95 field gun = 9

37mm Type 94 AT gun = 6
37mm Type 01 AT gun = 6
47mm Type 01 AT gun = 7
120mm mortar = 7
70mm mortar = 4
81mm mortar = 4
90mm mortar = 6
150mm mortar = 7
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: obvert
ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

It certainly seems from my memory of hauling lots of Japanese units around in a previous game that the size of transport mattered as to whether it would carry the bigger devices or not. Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly, but I'd be curious to know more.

I found this in a discussion where Damian answered an OP about air transport with the quote from the manual.
ORIGINAL: n01487477

Air transport is handled fairly simplistically compared to ship transport.
-----------
Moving troops from base to base:
a) Can't move a non-squad or non-engineer device with a load cost >9

Air dropping troops:
a) Can't air drop a non-squad device with a load cost >7 or if none are ready

Interestingly a Humber IV has a load cost of 8, so can I air transport a Humber IV? And as stated this would allow me to air transport a Valentine III or Stuart tank as well! [X(]

Here is a list of devices that are transportable by air (incomplete of course but interesting. I haven't looked yet on the Japanese side):

Humber I = 7
Humber IV = 8
Stuart I and VI = 7
Valentine III = 9
Marmon Harrington = 7
M3A1 Armored Car = 7

2 pdr AT gun = 6
6 pdr AT gun = 8
3.7" mtn gun = 9

37mm AT gun = 6
57mm M1A3 AT gun = 8
75mm M1A1 Pack How = 9
75mm GMC Halftrack = 8
M2A4 Light tank = 7
M3/5 Stuart = 7

The Valentine tanks are discussed here:
tm.asp?m=3344350

I guess some other items should have their cost recalculated.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Aha. Yes. The only issue is that the Japanese can also move tanks through the air, so it does require a conversation with my opponent to limit this for both sides.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Never had occasion to discuss it but in my wholesale evacuation of the entire Dutch army to Timor in my games against the AI I have been surprised to see how many armored cars and tankettes can actually be airlifted.

It's also rather disappointing that my airborne engineer squads can't be airdropped along with the rest of the unit.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”