Hearts of Iron III

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

Hearts of Iron III

Post by GaryChildress »

Thinking of buying Hearts of Iron III as I see it is only $10.00 on Steam (not including DLCs). Before I buy, though, just wanted to get some reactions from wargamers here. Is HoI III any good? I enjoyed HoI II a bit, although I found it particularly difficult at times. I saw a screen shot of HoI III and it appears that you can customize your own divisions with whatever brigade layout you want (which seems kind of cool).

Thanks.
Ostwindflak

RE: Hearts of Iron III

Post by Ostwindflak »

It is a fun addicting game. I got bored with the vanilla version a long time ago and I highly recommend the Black Ice Mod. It changes a lot of things in the game and adds a ton of content, events, and units to the game.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's ok if you like the other one you will like this, bit while i play it, it has a few short falls which it seem they don't seem t want to fix or alter, so in other words they not listening again either, so nothing new there as they didn't with the others either, but for the price you can't grumble tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I have had a lot of fun with HoI III. [:)]
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

HOI III is a very fun WW2 sandbox. But $10 is not a good price. You can get the game will all of the DLC for $11.25 during a Steam Sale.
I would hold off until a sale.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Their Finest Hour and For the Motherland dlc's would be must-buys in terms of mod support and what they bring to the game. But you are in a good position to get that stuff cheap. I paid full price and fully satisfied with the experience. You know Paradox (and others) in that it takes a while to get it right. HOI3 alone would be an incomplete experience, imo.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I wouldn't buy Hearts of Iron III for $10 unless it came with all its expansions, too:
Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Hearts of Iron III: For the Motherland
Hearts of Iron III: Semper Fi

There are also Mini Expansions:
Dies Irae Götterdämmerung
Dies Irae Stars & Stripes

Sprite Packs:
Hearts of Iron III: Soviet Infantry Pack DLC
Hearts of Iron III: DLC - German Sprite Pack
Hearts of Iron III: Soviet Pack DLC
Hearts of Iron III: German Infantry Pack DLC
Hearts of Iron III: Japanese Infantry Pack DLC
Hearts of Iron III: US Pack DLC
Hearts of Iron III DLC: German II Spritepack
Hearts of Iron III: Mega German Spritepack
Hearts of Iron III: Stars & Stripes Spritepack
Hearts of Iron III: US Infantry Spritepack
Hearts of Iron III: British Vehicle Spritepack
Hearts of Iron III: Japanese Vehicle Spritepack

Audio Packs:
Hearts of Iron III: Soviet Music Pack DLC
Hearts of Iron III: Sounds of Conflict

But I wouldn't get in any hurry to buy Hearts of Iron III as it is on sale frequently and you can probably find the base game and all three expansions for cheap.

I got the above titles from the Paradox Store because it lists all things HoI3. Steam probably does as well.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

EU IV is on sale this week from Steam at 75% off. It is quite a good game and even better at that price.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I picked up HOI III awhile back for $3.99 in a sale. Think it was Steam. I immediately noticed the fog of war could not be turned off like I and II and I couldn't watch the ai play like I could the others. Must be pretty bad if they don't want you to see it in action.

I certainly wouldn't pay $10 for it though. The best HOI imho was HOI II and it's expansions. I don't really care for the HOI series though because even with the feature to slow it down it's just not slow enough for me.

Now CK II on the other hand I would highly recommend. I love that game. It's really improved over the first one and much much better than HOI or EU I think.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Had it awhile, Haven't played it yet,
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
geozero

Post by geozero »

Tired of HOI 3 too much micromanagement. HOI 4 promises to be better.
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I definitely have my eye on HOI IV. Paradox has done great work with their recent games, making them easier to play but still interesting. I also like how they constantly pump out significant free updates and content expansions for reasonable prices, or virtually give them away if you're willing to wait a few months.

Return to “General Discussion”