Patch news (3.5)

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

SMK-at-work

RE: Patch news (3.5)

Post by SMK-at-work »

I see the words...and it sounds encouraging....but can anyone tell me what Ralph just wrote?? [:D][&:][:D]
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

That he needs 2 more year for the next patch. [:D]
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

That he needs 2 more year for the next patch. [:D]
No, 2 years would be for the full 3D port to the iPad using the Unreal Engine.[:D] The hard part would be figuring out what to take away and still leave the same game along with making it run fast enough.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
I see the words...and it sounds encouraging....but can anyone tell me what Ralph just wrote?? [:D][&:][:D]
Norm was an awesome programmer. I'm trying to make TOAW not look funny on the extremely dense displays they now have.[:D]
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Ralph, I think I can speak for all, thank you for the effort you are putting in. We understand (well, I am not sure I really understand) what your are up against, but best of luck and godspeed.

cheers
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Bah. I-Pad's market share continues to slip below 25%. You need to target the Android OS. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
Norm was an awesome programmer. I'm trying to make TOAW not look funny on the extremely dense displays they now have.[:D]

Oh - well that's good then :)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

So, Ralph, as long as we have you here, any ETA on the patch?

(somebody has to ask that) [:'(]
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

So, Ralph, as long as we have you here, any ETA on the patch?

(somebody has to ask that) [:'(]

[:D][:D][:D]

Was wondering how long this question would take to appear. Actually was surprised it took so long.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Years waiting but I guess we are not worthy of an answer. Oh well.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

As if any customer would get even 1% of the ETA questions answered, that simply the way it goes in the gaming business.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Just a friendly heads up to the TOAW crowd: Erik is in town.....let's cut the grass and put all our front yard junk in the garage
and make everything pretty.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (196.34 KiB) Viewed 96 times
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

It's only his annual inspection to kick the horse and see if it still moves.

geozero

Post by geozero »

Excuse my complete total ignorance when it comes to programming... I know everyone has been chomping at the bits for 3.5. Tonight I wanted to load TOA3 and could not find my disk. I've purchased this game 3 times and was about to do so again a 4th time but decided to see what was up in the forums.

There has been talk of TOAW 4 for ages. My questions are these:

1) Why are we trying to update TOAW 3 at this point? PC's, OS, graphics, monitors, etc. have all progressed in leaps and bounds. It's like trying to retool a 2 barrel carburetor for a 1979 VW. WHY?

2) You (Ralph, Erik, et al) probably cannot or will not speak about TOAW 4 (due to NDA's etc) yet it would seem to me that since TOAW 3 was written by someone else (Norm K.) and he's not involved AFAIK, and Ralph is trying to reverse engineer the game's DNA, then wouldn't the time, money and resources be better spent on creating a WHOLE NEW GAME that captures the essence of TOAW 3 but in BRAND NEW game engine, graphics, etc????????

3) What would it take in terms of money and resources to write a completely NEW game engine that allows easy mods and that has similar features right out of the box??? Not some watered down limited "East Fron" game with 16 future modules, but a WHOLE NEW GAME like TOAW 3 was that allows you to create ANY battle in ANY era????

To question #3, I think that perhaps a kickstarter or similar campaign could raise funds given enough gamer interest.

As for buying TOAW 3 AGAIN, I've decided after reading all this that it is a complete colossal waste of time to pay for something AGAIN and discover that it is not patched or that there is limited resources available to see patches completed... or interest from Matrix management to push for it.

It used to be that there were teams of game designers on these titles... programmers, graphics people... now all I read is some lone (Ralph) soul tapping away code every chance he gets. It seems complete utterly futile.

The same lack of push and management happened on many games I was "beta tester" or "scenario designer" including the Combined Arms/Battlefield game that is all but vapor ware.

You simply cannot ignore new OS and programming developments. Lack of financial and management push has made a lot of these games obsolete or "under development" for 15+ years!!!

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

You have bought the same game 3 times? Why would you do that? If you lost the disk or the download just download it again. Support will help you with that. There is no need to buy the game multiple times.

geozero

Post by geozero »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

You have bought the same game 3 times? Why would you do that? If you lost the disk or the download just download it again. Support will help you with that. There is no need to buy the game multiple times.

Yes over the course of years, moving, PC upgrades and crashes.

I've PM'd Erik... nada.

I don't see a way to d/l it again. I don't have the email confirmations anymore. If this was Steam I'd simply click on it... but there's no info that I can see on my purchase history. The whole Matrix web site is stuck in 1995.

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: geozero
Yes over the course of years, moving, PC upgrades and crashes.

I don't see a way to d/l it again. I don't have the email confirmations anymore. If this was Steam I'd simply click on it... but there's no info that I can see on my purchase history. The whole Matrix web site is stuck in 1995.
I've had crashes and new PC's and new operating systems that required a hard disk wipe etc. and I'm glad I bought TOAW in a
brick and mortar store in about 2003 or so and I've had to refer to it more than once. Please don't feel like I'm trying to rub it
in here, I assure you that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just wondering if they still sell it somewhere so you could have a hard
copy of it?
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
geozero

Post by geozero »

Trust me I've looked for my CD copy... the latest which I bought probably less then 2-3 years ago directly from Matrix. Someone at Matrix should be able to see my purchasing history. There should be a way to get the d/l again at the very least. No answer from Matrix.

Like I said, maybe we should wait for TOAW 4, assuming that they can actually get people working on it and this millennium.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: geozero

Trust me I've looked for my CD copy... the latest which I bought probably less then 2-3 years ago directly from Matrix. Someone at Matrix should be able to see my purchasing history. There should be a way to get the d/l again at the very least. No answer from Matrix.

Like I said, maybe we should wait for TOAW 4, assuming that they can actually get people working on it and this millennium.

Hey geozero. I've had my pc killed by lightening, hard drives deaths, pc meltdowns, new machines and all I've ever had to do was make a support ticket for a download. You might want to talk to these guys: http://www.matrixgames.com/support/issue.asp

The one thing that you really want to keep a hard copy of next time is your serial number.

geozero

Post by geozero »

I think I will send a support ticket... yippee.

As for hard copy... I can't find mine due to moves and probably got thrown out. yeah that sucks.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”